Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated city in the US
New York City 340 21.82%
Los Angeles, California 336 21.57%
Atlanta, Georgia 351 22.53%
Orlando, Florida 243 15.60%
Washington, D.C. 107 6.87%
Miami, Florida 197 12.64%
Chicago, Illinois 163 10.46%
San Francisco, California 168 10.78%
Austin, Texas 298 19.13%
Las Vegas, Nevada 269 17.27%
Honolulu, Hawaii 73 4.69%
Other 135 8.66%
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 11 0.71%
New Orleans, Louisiana 9 0.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

To jman:

What a great post you wrote about some people's perception of New York City. I agree with a lot of things you said and there are so many things that can be discussed related to that topic.

I feel like someone can appreciate positive things about New York City and all it can offer without getting carried away by it and still noticing there are plenty of other places in America and places in the world that can offer positive things.

Im a native New Yorker, and lived there for the first 18 years of my life and I hate the arrogant/snobby/condescending attitudes some people have about NYC compared to other places and some of them kind of take too far.

Attitudes like that can really ruin my enjoyment for that place and I used to think it was New York City's "fault" but realized recently it is the fault of some of its residents and visitors, the media, and how some people can get carried away and I agree with what you said. I even used to feel ashamed trying to get to know positive things about New York City and telling others about certain things than can be great about NYC because I thought I would come off a snob for location but realized now there is a certain way someone can get to know the positives about a place, what it can offer, and how they promote it to others.

I actually used to think I didnt like NYC anymore such as a few years ago when I was age 15-17, wanted desperately to leave, and never thought I would go back there ever again.

Ironic enough, I left New York City, went to Seattle, Washington, have enjoyed my time in Seattle and love this region of the world I live in now but now feel stupid that I thought I ever didnt like NYC. Now I actually feel like going back to New York City to live in it and maybe even have a career in it after college if I dont stay in Seattle or go to San Francisco.

What I hope to find out if there are more people that are like us that enjoy things about NYC than people who get carried away by it and start having nasty and sometimes delusional arrogant/snobby attitudes about it compared to other places and how some view people that are from other places.etc. I can be more specific about what I mean by this. If I find out there are too many people that dont have similar views as us, then I wont go back there, but lately it seems like there are plenty of people that have our attitudes.

I plan to become an architect, and even if I end up becoming an architect in New York City, if I decide to go there after college instead of Seattle or San Francisco, I'll still have the same attitude I do now and always defend other places compared to NYC and try to promote people not to have delusional attitudes about New York City.

I really can talk endlessly about this topic related to how people perceive New York City in general.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
There are so many good ones not on this list like Charlotte, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, etc.

On this list I would say it is between Las Vegas and Austin. I think they are both great but they are made out to be utopian, especially Austin and I do not agree. I live in Orlando and I can see where it could be considered overrated. I think in a lot of other categories it is underrated as well though so that is another discussion for another time.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM

468 posts, read 789,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Nyc has millions of night clubs you dont seriously think miami,new orleans and lol atlanta could touch that,do you? How long were u in ny to make that assessment anyway.

Each highend clothing store has seperate things for each city.

Seems like your pulling straws here. But i'll respect your opinion. It just sounds like Bulls.. considering people in the tri-state come to ny time and time again just for shopping and nightlife. And the tristate outside ny most likely has better shopping than your region or atleast on par
It sounds like Bull to you only because you dont think NYC is Overrated. you think it has the best of everything. You ask whats overrated I gave it too you. Alot of people would disagree and say those things are not overrated. Its all in the person and how they percieve things.. K.O.N.Y everyone is not going to bow down because its NYC and everyone is not going to find it appealing.. You NYers need to learn that. I never said Atlanta clubs were better I just said I have had better times in those 3 areas.. Who said I was even from the USA what region do you think I am in?. Because I spoke for miami New orleans and Atlanta doesnt mean im in those regions.. lol I could be living in Canada for all you know.. I think New Orleans Miami and Atlanta can touch some of the clubs in NYC. Yes all the after clubs parties and celeb parties that go on in Miami and Atlanta are just as fun...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
If you listened to how a lot of NYers sell NYC and make it out to be, you probably would think that and your expectations would be astronomical. You really don't know how much people exaggerate it, do you?

I guess i don't. But a'lot of things people say about nyc are basically true. And people should have the common sense to know that not every single square inch of the city is full with five 5 star restaurants or that new york is the physical city version of E=mc^2. Everybody exaggerates their city to some degree. With new york most of it isnt and some is. Either way you go, i don't see a first time visitor being disappointed if they really explored and absorbed the city, i would expect the sentiment to be " ya the streets arent exactly paved with gold but i can see what they were talking about though" If you had such expectations to the point you were actually disappointed with new york than your expectations were beyond reason. Most of the things i see depicted about ny either on this site or out there are pretty much on point.

That's all you're gonna get if you continue to tune out all the responses that people have been giving you that DON'T mention mountains at all. Who mentioned mountains anyway? I haven't even seen that, but I've seen you reference it many times now while ignoring a ton of other posts that say nothing of the sort.

The whole mountains thing came from the guy who thought nyc was overrated because it didnt have nature. Which is ridiculous new york was never known for nature nor does it front like it has nature. Which is why i said, thats like saying new mexico is overrated for not having skyscrapers

I know you have a personal issue with that term being applied to NYC b/c you feel it delivers as promised, but the reason you're in such a quandary whenever it comes to this is b/c you're not realizing how ridiculous the exaggerations are that people make when describing all that NY supposedly delivers.

From my view new york and new yorkers generally say ny is the biggest finance center,entertainment cap,24/7,greatest public transit etc. Which are all basically true. I can't account for people believing individuals who say " If you stay at a hotel...nyc is so great that your Doorman is even going to be a celebrity"

A personal example I'll give you that may help was me at Times Square at 12:15am looking for a bite to eat. Now I've had this place made out to be the heart of "the City that never sleeps" for my entire life anytime NY had been mentioned, and I had been told time and again that I could get any kind of excellent cuisine on virtually any block in NYC 24/7. So I figured the diner-looking spot that was open a block away when everything else near me seemed to be closing would have been able to accommodate me. Reasonable to think that, right? Only as soon as I step in and ask for a menu I'm told that they only serve cheesecake after midnight and the dinner menu is no longer available. So I had to move on and look for another spot, and all that ended up being available at that point was some crappy pizza spot/bakery and gray's papaya.

There were many other spots you could have went to in TS alone. The diner your talking about is most likely JUNIORS which really isnt a traditional diner its a famous cheesecake joint. Diners in the city stay open 24/7. And the thing about new york is that when you do new york..you have to DO new york. There were plenty of places you could have went to get a bite. The whole manhattan is available just get on a train, thats what we do here and thats where the 24/7 thing comes from

Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM

468 posts, read 789,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
A persons expectations would have to be astronomical for the actual in city experience to not suffice. You must have thought the heavens would seperate as soon as you touched JFK.

I dont know what its like to go to nyc for the first time so i dont know, im just saying...

One thing we need to get established on this forum is that EVERYBODY SHOWCASES ARROGANCE here. Houstonians do it,atlantans definently do it and they do it a'lot.

Its not that im bothered by their criticism. I just want to hear a good reason thats all. Im curious but all i get is--because it doesnt have mountains

You answer this why shouldnt NYC be considered overrated

Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
I have no idea why Boston isn't on the list.

I say:
BOSTON
LA
Austin

Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Miami, and Orlando. Glitz, glam and fun can only get you so far in life. Also many of the sunbelt cities(pick one) except for maybe New Orleans pre Katrina. Most of those cities seem to be one big suburb with no real center except for some tall buildings at a crossroads somewhere in the midst of suburbia.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Miami, and Orlando. Glitz, glam and fun can only get you so far in life. Also many of the sunbelt cities(pick one) except for maybe New Orleans pre Katrina. Most of those cities seem to be one big suburb with no real center except for some tall buildings at a crossroads somewhere in the midst of suburbia.
Sooooooo. How are they overrated? How does being one big suburb make a city overrated? How does having glitz and glamor make a city overrated? I don't understand your post.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Those are probably all the places that he'd rather be.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
You answer this why shouldnt NYC be considered overrated
Because nyc is what it says it is

The perception that nyc gives off to the world is a bustling,cultural,24/7 metropolis that has some of the most powerful institutions(financial,educational etc), grand landmarks,vast skyscrapers,good food..... Nyc is all of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City