U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,308,298 times

Advertisements

Well, if you come from a whitebread city like Seattle of course you would find these cities scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM

124 posts, read 563,815 times
I've actually lived in Chicago....

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,635,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
Detroit, MI
Baltimore, MD
Washington, DC
St. Louis, MO
Kansas City, MO
Dallas, TX
Miami, FL
Memphis, TN
Phoenix, AZ
Cleveland, OH
Newark, NJ
Detroit - Depends on where you are
DC - same thing, well, I suppose Georgetown is scary, but for different reasons
St. Louis - I liked it
KC - never been there
Dallas - it was 15 years ago, but it didn't strike me all that scary at all
Memphis - seemed rather nice to me
Phoenix - not my cup of tea, scariest thought I had about them is what they'd do if they ran out of water, but it just felt like a giant suburb.
Cleveland - Depends on where you are, but it didn't strike me as scary
Newark - I've only flown into the airport and used there train system to get into NYC, neither of which was scary at all, but I can't say I've been to the city itself.

You need to get out more.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Detroit - Depends on where you are
DC - same thing, well, I suppose Georgetown is scary, but for different reasons
St. Louis - I liked it
KC - never been there
Dallas - it was 15 years ago, but it didn't strike me all that scary at all
Memphis - seemed rather nice to me
Phoenix - not my cup of tea, scariest thought I had about them is what they'd do if they ran out of water, but it just felt like a giant suburb.
Cleveland - Depends on where you are, but it didn't strike me as scary
Newark - I've only flown into the airport and used there train system to get into NYC, neither of which was scary at all, but I can't say I've been to the city itself.

You need to get out more.
Detroit-There are more bad places than good. Even the bus driver looks like he wants to mug yeh.

DC-Bored the hell out of me.
St. Louis-Actually very nice I thought.
KC-Pretty bland, had a few rough areas but nothing you don't get in any other city. I just found that the locals were a bit shocked that crime was actually taking place.
Dallas-never been there but I've heard stories from friends of mine that do. Heard its not as bad as everyone makes it out.
Memphis-Been there many times. If your white don't go to the black side, if your black don't go to the white side. simple as that.
Phoenix-Again. Friends out that way. I've heard some of the subburbs are worse than the city itself.
Cleveland-Just about as bad as Toledo or Dayton. From what I saw they had some rough spots but nothing too out of the ordinary.
Newark-never been. Should I have?

The only town I've ever been to that scared me the whole way through was Killin AL. And I'm not sure if that little village is even on the map. Basically nothing but a BBQ shop and a gas station. All the people are very anti social. You don't wanna get a flat tire there. Atlanta had some rough areas. Flint is pretty bad. I mean theres not much there. But lets just say don't drive a foreign car around there. Last time I was there the tires on my camry got slashed. Only parked it for 10 mins.

Honestly though. After going to the cities in mainland Europe. I mean Detroit pales in comparison to say, Rome or Athens.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
I've actually lived in Chicago....
In all honesty Chicago's not really that bad. Its a large city theres going to be violence. Some of the suburbs like say Gary, or even Elkhart are pretty nasty but I rather liked Chicago.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM

168 posts, read 436,452 times
I know this pertains to the US, but I look at places like Chicago and Detroit in a whole different light after spending time in Glasgow, Scotland. The gangs in the city come to the city centre at night to fight, causing the city to be known as the "Murder Capital of Europe." Only place where I was told to go home, because it was nightfall.

I've been to East St. Louis. It falls more into the "sad and abandoned" category than in the "scary" category. DC felt like a scary place in the 90's. First time I saw Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan was a shocker to me. Apparently that area has really been gentrified since then.
I personally think it's scarier when you exit the interstate in a small town in which everyone stares at any newcomer that walks into a restaurant.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,628,466 times
Just to make things clear , Newark isn't a bad city anymore. Crime is down 48% and there are alot nice places in the city to visit. I go to Newark once a month for Leisure time& to eat some of the best foods in New Jersey.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 PM

921 posts, read 1,338,193 times
I've noticed that people never actually respond to threads asking about scariest cities, but only attack the original person's post. Good for you if you're so bad ass as to not find a certain city (usually you're hometown) scary. Post your own damn list or pass on the thread. It gets really old seeing comment after comment debunking the "myth" about this or that being scary which eventually leads that poster to accusing the OP that he/she has never been to said city. a) You can't prove that they haven't been there and b) no one really cares that much. Shut up.

Over the Rhine in Cincinnati gets my vote.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 PM

902 posts, read 2,370,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moth08 View Post
Detroit-There are more bad places than good. Even the bus driver looks like he wants to mug yeh.

DC-Bored the hell out of me.
St. Louis-Actually very nice I thought.
KC-Pretty bland, had a few rough areas but nothing you don't get in any other city. I just found that the locals were a bit shocked that crime was actually taking place.
Dallas-never been there but I've heard stories from friends of mine that do. Heard its not as bad as everyone makes it out.
Memphis-Been there many times. If your white don't go to the black side, if your black don't go to the white side. simple as that.
Phoenix-Again. Friends out that way. I've heard some of the subburbs are worse than the city itself.
Cleveland-Just about as bad as Toledo or Dayton. From what I saw they had some rough spots but nothing too out of the ordinary.
Newark-never been. Should I have?

The only town I've ever been to that scared me the whole way through was Killin AL. And I'm not sure if that little village is even on the map. Basically nothing but a BBQ shop and a gas station. All the people are very anti social. You don't wanna get a flat tire there. Atlanta had some rough areas. Flint is pretty bad. I mean theres not much there. But lets just say don't drive a foreign car around there. Last time I was there the tires on my camry got slashed. Only parked it for 10 mins.

Honestly though. After going to the cities in mainland Europe. I mean Detroit pales in comparison to say, Rome or Athens.
Haha, true that! Flint is bad, mostly the north and east side's and part of the south side, but the whole city isn't dangerous contrary to what people like to think. Also, you couldn't be more right about the car thing LOL. I got dis invited to a wedding for driving a foreign car and the guy was a pretty good friend, now he won't even talk to me. Real Talk.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:38 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,237,432 times
"Washington, DC"

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or