U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM

62 posts, read 107,457 times

Advertisements

Palm trees are hands-down my favorite trees. I love the fact that I live in SoCal and I constantly see them wherever I go. On my street alone are many and looking out at them feels like I'm on vacation.

My home is like my vacation, tee-hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 PM

11,329 posts, read 17,040,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sis View Post
Palm trees are hands-down my favorite trees. I love the fact that I live in SoCal and I constantly see them wherever I go. On my street alone are many and looking out at them feels like I'm on vacation.

My home is like my vacation, tee-hee.
I hate you.

There's a few Palms around here but not right outside my window or everywhere I go, I mostly see them when I'm on vacation. Palms are my favorite trees too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Me three. I feel rather sorry for any tree that is planted in an area where it does not flourish.
I'm seeing more and more palms being used in Atlanta landscaping, and it just feels WRONG.
I'm seeing more and more in New York landscaping (Subtropical plants in general) and it feels right, I just want enough to hold me over until I move somewhere with more Palms lol.

Palms will never lose there fame in my eyes, they'll be special where ever they can grow (which isn't a lot of places).

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM

134 posts, read 89,807 times
Quote:
A beautiful tree farm in South Miami

Manuel Diaz Farms

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM

434 posts, read 1,010,069 times
Palm trees are planted in the parks and gardens of downtown Sandusky, Ohio for the late spring / summer / early fall seasons. During the winter, they are kept in the city greenhouse.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,600,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
What U.S states has palm trees?

And... how come the palm trees in Florida looks almost dead when they get so much rain and sunshine, while S. California's Palms looks fresh and doesn't get rain at summer
Because Florida palm trees get F'd up from the hurricanes

Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,691,882 times
Florida's palm trees look dead? Looks like people will say anything on C-D. What's next? "Why do Colorado's mountains look so small?" "Why is New York City so country?"

Old 03-26-2010, 08:16 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,122,805 times
To those who criticize Florida's palm trees , look what we have to contend with in the most temperate parts of Europe :
Tresco - tropical garden, tropical plant, tropical garden plant, Abbey Garden
Insel Mainau: Mainau Weblog[tt_news]=87&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=58784575a1
Almerķa city, Spain. Tourism in Almerķa Holidays in province of ALMERĶA, Spain. SOL Spain On Line.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM

21,928 posts, read 23,500,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
To those who criticize Florida's palm trees , look what we have to contend with in the most temperate parts of Europe :
Tresco - tropical garden, tropical plant, tropical garden plant, Abbey Garden
Insel Mainau: Mainau Weblog[tt_news]=87&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=58784575a1
Almerķa city, Spain. Tourism in Almerķa Holidays in province of ALMERĶA, Spain. SOL Spain On Line.
Not quite the same, since it's enclosed, but this one's in the Alps:

Tropenhaus Frutigen: The tropics open their doors

Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,122,805 times
Default "stupid" question...

Since people on this thread seem to have an awesome knowledge of tree cultivation, cultivars, climate zones and botanic science, I've always wondered...it's fashionable in the temperate zones to try & grow palm trees, but is the reverse possible ?
I mean : can temperate zone vegetation (deciduous trees, pines, spruce, etc) grow under certain conditions in tropical zones ?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,979,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Since people on this thread seem to have an awesome knowledge of tree cultivation, cultivars, climate zones and botanic science, I've always wondered...it's fashionable in the temperate zones to try & grow palm trees, but is the reverse possible ?
I mean : can temperate zone vegetation (deciduous trees, pines, spruce, etc) grow under certain conditions in tropical zones ?
I wouldn't say pines are limited to temperate zones. There are loads of pine forests throughout Florida. People even grow Maple trees here too, and there are more oak trees in my neighborhood then palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City