U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 12:12 PM

168 posts, read 417,132 times

Advertisements

Some amazing palm pics on this thread

Heres a few from around.
Med fan, Searchlight NV.

Phoenix dactylifera mejoola
Yuma AZ

W. filifera
Yuma AZ

Sabal mex.? To bad they cut it up so high
Yuma AZ

pigmy date
Yuma Az

CIDP
Yuma AZ

Trachycarpus fortunei
Nampa ID, spring, will look much better in late summer.

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,039,067 times
^^^ I remember seeing the last type posted as being particularly cold-tolerant. Some of the links mentioned mature trees can survive temperatures of around zero or slightly below that. The location it is listed in Idaho has winters just mild enough for it to survive unprotected. (note it is a mature tree since young ones will likely get damaged more by cold)

I remember seeing someone grow a particular hardy type outside next to their house in Michigan. (it was in Southern Michigan along Lake Michigan allowing a milder winter due to water effects) I think any place can grow some palms as long as the temperatures don't get much below zero in the average year. (also areas that might not of allowed any to grow likely can now due to milder winters in terms of yearly mininums and new cultivar types that might be more cold-tolerant)

Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,845,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post

The native palm tree in orlando has to be the washintonia, there are forests full of them over here.
You must mean the Sable palm. They are the state tree of Florida and grow like weeds throughout the state. The Washingtonia are native to more arid regions.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:57 AM

168 posts, read 417,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
^^^ I remember seeing the last type posted as being particularly cold-tolerant. Some of the links mentioned mature trees can survive temperatures of around zero or slightly below that. The location it is listed in Idaho has winters just mild enough for it to survive unprotected. (note it is a mature tree since young ones will likely get damaged more by cold)

I remember seeing someone grow a particular hardy type outside next to their house in Michigan. (it was in Southern Michigan along Lake Michigan allowing a milder winter due to water effects) I think any place can grow some palms as long as the temperatures don't get much below zero in the average year. (also areas that might not of allowed any to grow likely can now due to milder winters in terms of yearly mininums and new cultivar types that might be more cold-tolerant)
The trachycarpus palms in the pics freeze back most winters, but rebound by summer. They are a very cool to see with a full crown.

They lost several palms the first year and only the largest survived. This is a zone 6b, but even then a bad winter may wipe them out.

Some people say it is because of globel-warming that palms are poping up all over, but I think it is more because of the internet. The info on hardy palms is easy to find on the web, and palms for us northern people are easy to order now. In the past a person would have had to drive all the way south to buy a palm, now they can order one and know wich one will do best in their area.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,393,440 times
I just saw 2 beautiful Coconut Palms in Queens.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,753,491 times
^^ lol

Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM

3,755 posts, read 7,896,140 times
I have two palm trees in my backyard!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 PM

478 posts, read 847,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You must mean the Sable palm. They are the state tree of Florida and grow like weeds throughout the state. The Washingtonia are native to more arid regions.
True, Washingtonia are all over Southern California. I have never seen any in Florida, not even in Miami. The Sable Palmetto is also the state tree of South Carolina where I currently live.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I have two palm trees in my backyard!
Yes, there are some very cold hardy palms out there that will survive ya'lls sub-arctic Winters.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 AM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
True, Washingtonia are all over Southern California. I have never seen any in Florida, not even in Miami. The Sable Palmetto is also the state tree of South Carolina where I currently live.
They have them in Florida, not nearly as many as places out West, but they have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City