Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 01:19 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
You don't have to posts pictures. Just post the links. I would really like to see them.
Here is an area in Tampa where they grow wild.

Google Maps

Davis island south of Downtown Tampa

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.027595&z=15

Bayshore Blvd

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...,0.006899&z=17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Here is an area in Tampa where they grow wild.

Google Maps
Yes those are defintely Washingtonias. Good post.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Yes those are defintely Washingtonias. Good post.
I added some more shots. Just beautiful trees aren't they?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
California fan palms are the most common palm but I think the palm trees in Miami are even more beautiful [like the coconut palm - anyone have photos?]. Here are a few more of fan palms in Los Angeles.

Venice Beach

Residential neighborhood

But look how scrawny these palms look in Long Beach

Old 09-03-2010, 02:37 PM

515 posts, read 1,059,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
California fan palms are the most common palm but I think the palm trees in Miami are even more beautiful [like the coconut palm - anyone have photos?]. Here are a few more of fan palms in Los Angeles.

Venice Beach

Residential neighborhood

But look how scrawny these palms look in Long Beach

Yes I like the coconut palms in Miami but the best is the Royal palm.

Also here in Charleston we have a palm from South America that you see everywhere called the Pindo or Jelly Palm. Many are taller than the one in the picture. I wonder if you have those in California?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM

56 posts, read 94,604 times

YouTube - Star Island Tour, Miami Beach

Beautiful palm trees on Star Island in Miami,Florida.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertZone View Post
The trachycarpus palms in the pics freeze back most winters, but rebound by summer. They are a very cool to see with a full crown.

They lost several palms the first year and only the largest survived. This is a zone 6b, but even then a bad winter may wipe them out.

Some people say it is because of globel-warming that palms are poping up all over, but I think it is more because of the internet. The info on hardy palms is easy to find on the web, and palms for us northern people are easy to order now. In the past a person would have had to drive all the way south to buy a palm, now they can order one and know wich one will do best in their area.
On a lot of palms the smaller ones are more cold-sensitive than mature ones.

There is a climate change aspect. The big thng that limits palm trees is yearly minunum temperature, that in a lot of places is up to 10 or so degrees higher than in the 1970's for example (though that was a cold decade for winters so it isn't the best example). Another is that there might be new cultivars that are designed to be more tolerant of cold along with research into such tolerances. I remember seeing studies of growing palm trees in Cincinnatti which is at this poing around 6/7 hardiness zone based in the last couple of decades.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:55 AM

10 posts, read 34,319 times
the Beloved Californialove is bak. Spreading the love!! If Im correct there can only be one user per Ip address! I'm a changed man!!

Old 09-04-2010, 05:02 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I believe there's Washingtonias at MGM (Disney) near Mickey's hat, I'd say they're well over 70 feet tall. I think Busch Gardens too.
Yeah, they got them all over Florida, not as much as CA, but there in abundance down there.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:28 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I LOVE Palms. I've seen some mature trachy's that look like Washingtonia's.

The Windmill Palm is one of the more "popular" ones here (Long Island), I've seen dozens of them however even they are still on the rare side (getting less rare though). However I've seen a small Canary & 2-3 small Washingtonia's before. I saw a Sabal Palmetto in Manhattan last year, I saw a different smaller variety in Queens. Plus the 2 Coconuts I saw the other day but I try not to count potted Palms. How I remember everything is beyond me.

It sounds weird for "NY" but we are actually borderline zone 7b/8a. The Gulf Stream plus the Urban Heat Island Effect plus Global Warming...yeah lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City