U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 03:18 PM

1,291 posts, read 3,489,089 times

Advertisements

I have never seen anyone "water" a california fan palm or mexican fan palm. They grow in arid environments. The Canary island Palm is also tolerant of arid environments. They are native to the Canary Islands which have a similar climate to California, a rainy season and a long drawn out dry season. These palms are much different than some of the tropical palms in Florida.

Here is a photo of California Fan Palms in the wild (Twentynine Palm, California located in the desert 140mi east of Los Angeles!)

Last edited by vdy1985; 09-22-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 04:23 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Native California Fan Palms in the desert outside Indio

California Fan Palms at the beach in Venice

Yet some think the second photo is so "stupid and out of place"

Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 PM

The California Fan Palm grows like a weed in California. My parents live in San Jose, and the neighbors palm sheds seeds or whatever, and little palms sprout all over my dads front yard... he always has to pull them out.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

And for those that don't know, Indio is a city in California located in the Inland Empire, and about 100miles from downtown LA.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
LA wouldnt have ANY palms if not for imported water. At least here in the SE coast our palms are native. Palms look just as stupid and out of place under a glass airport atrium in Chicago as they do in LA in my opinion. At least the palms in Miami were there before the people were.
You just opened up a can of worms my friend.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,872,651 times
Quote:
Miami was basically a wetlands with native scrub trees and some native Florida palms like you see in the Everglades. Anywhere along the Gulf Coast the native palms were scattered here and there and not in any large numbers. The palms in New Orleans, Houston, Galveston, Tampa, Savannah were not there along the streets when these cities were developed. They were planted. Same thing in Los Angeles and southern California.

This whole discussion about palm trees not being native to Los Angeles is ridiculous if one doesn't understand how trees are planted in any American city.
From my understanding, few palms are native to North America (including the Caribbean) to begin with. Most were introduced from Africa and South America if I'm not mistaken.

Question: Is there a reason why palm varieties seems limited in Charleston, Savannah, and even Northern Florida (Mostly to Palmettos) compared to the types that seem to be common Galveston, Houston, New Orleans, and Tampa (Califonia Fan, Dates, Kings, Mexican Fan, Queens, etc.)? Is it weather, preference, or what?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,845,115 times
Quote:
The palms in New Orleans, Houston, Galveston, Tampa, Savannah were not there along the streets when these cities were developed. They were planted.
Sable palms have been all over Tampa since before they were planted for landscaping. Take a look at any historic photo of Tampa. They grow like weeds.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:

It's a beach. What's so out of place about palms being at a beach?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
By point was that those towering palms that line the streets of Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc and which people so easily associate with California and which the tourist agencies so eagerly use to promote the state (and which I think actually appear on some license plates) are NOT native to the Los Angeles Basin. They are cultivated, just like the everything else in the region. And none of it would exist if Los Angeles hadn't hijacked and stolen the water out of the Owens Valley nearly 100 years ago, turning a once lush agriculture region into an arid desert.

This was done so L.A. could have PALM TREES:
What's wrong with this?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM

Palms look almost PERFECT in LA. I don't see whatever everyone else is seeing in which they look misplaced in LA. I just don't see the oddity, seems how close LA is to the desert, and the types of palms that are planted in metro LA are native to that particular area of California. If palms can look good in Chicago on the shores of Lake Michigan(I think they look cool), or at NJ beaches(I also think these look cool), than why would they look misplaced in SoCal? I never got why people always thought palms look misplaced in certain areas of the US. How is a country as BIG as the US supposed to look like? Homogeneous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City