U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,851,959 times

Advertisements

I love palms and it would be a shame if LA replaced most of it's fan palms for oaks that you can see anywhere else in the country. I sure couldn't imagine my Florida without palms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM

5,303 posts, read 7,688,644 times
I don't think they'll replace the palms. I think they'll add more oaks, but why rip out the palms they have already?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 AM

361 posts, read 608,986 times
Ahhhhh, to be in Los Angeles, where the polyethyl vinyl palm trees grow .............. and of course, In-N-Out Burger.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,436,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The summers are warm in LA, not hot, and it's not muggy either. There's no real need for shade. Most people there welcome the sun because of the chilly breeze off the ocean, and the foggy, cool nights. Also, palm trees do indeed filter the air. All trees do.
A palm isn't really a tree per se. Its considered more of a grass. Ever seen one sprout from seed? It looks just like a sprig of grass.

False, palm trees do not filter the air as well as oaks & other deciduous trees with true leaves do. Why do you think Los Angeles would diliberately drill holes into & cut down perfectly healthy palms to plant other trees in their place? Its happening all over the LA area.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,436,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I love palms and it would be a shame if LA replaced most of it's fan palms for oaks that you can see anywhere else in the country. I sure couldn't imagine my Florida without palms!
Its mainly the Mexican Fans they're trying to eliminate. They've become an invasive weed in Southern California over the past 100+ years, apparently. As I said earlier, they can even grow in tiny sidewalk cracks & at the base of buildings where ever there is soil, sunlight, & a little bit of moisture they will thrive. You commonly see them growing between chain link fences. LA just planted too, too many of them without realizing how fast 1 tree can turn into 100's if not 1,000's of trees.

Here in Texas its the opposite. The Mexican Fans are widely planted because we're not overrun with them just yet like California is. I'm sure in the next 100-200 years we'll be doing the same thing to them, but until then I'm enjoying seeing them used in both residential & commercial landscapes.

Its kinda ironic too because we like to cut down invasive oak & pine trees here in East Texas. I'd gladly do a swap with California to balance things out a bit.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-16-2013 at 01:18 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 AM

60 posts, read 99,294 times
Believe it or not, the majority of St. George, Utah's Mexican Fan Palms (Washingtonia Robusta) known to only be cold hardy to around 18-20 degrees F. survived two nights temps. dropped to 12 degrees in 2012. Only the one's not protected in the colder outlying areas died.

So, that being known, the cold hardier California Fan palm (Washingtonia Filifera) apparently can take temps even lower than said to (around 15 degrees F.), as this last December, we dropped to a record low of 3 degrees, even some reports of zero, and many of California Fan palms look to have survived, although the fronds are obviously brown, the stems of the fronds are still green at the base near the hearts. But we will have to wait and see for sure this spring, because I'm almost positive that many of all types of our palms (especially the Mexican Fans) didn't make it.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 AM

9,064 posts, read 17,421,754 times
Default Hawaii has the best!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 12,938 times
South Carolina
North Carolina
Maryland
Florida
Georgia
Louisiana
Alabama
Virginia
Mississippi
Tennessee
Arkansas
Texas
California
Oregon
Southern Washington
Hawaii

States with Native Palms
South Carolina (state tree)
Florida (state tree)
Georgia
North Carolina
Mississippi
Alabama
Louisiana
Arkansas
Texas
SE Virginia
California
Hawaii

Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,496,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LA is replacing palm trees (mostly Mexican Fans) with oak trees because palm trees don't do diddly squat to provide shade or filter the air while oak trees filter ozone pollutants very, very well.

The Mexican Fan is now considered an invasive weed in Southern California. Funny because 100 years ago they planted thousands of them for the 1932 Olympics. They reproduce faster than almost anything else in the region & can grow almost anywhere a seed drops or is dispersed by animals or wind. I've seen pictures of them literally growing in sidewalk cracks & sewage drains.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/us/26palm.html?_r=0
This article doesn't say anything about LA replacing mostly Mexican fan palms, the only thing it mentions is it's fronds being a problem when they fall off. The Canary Island Date palm are the ones that are diseased and dying.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,328,169 times
The Palm Trees in Florida don't look dead, not sure what you're talking about. We have a good variety here, especially coconut Palm trees.

I think they all look great in the other states that I've been too. But Florida wins for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City