U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 09:02 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,686,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Glad to see I'm not the only one blown away that there are 50 pages of discussion about palm trees!

Oddly enough, several people down the street have palm trees in their yard, and I live 15 miles south of the Canadian border in WA. Their not native, of course, but they seem to do just fine.

Personally, I'd rather talk about the beauty of other trees, as well- trees that turn beautiful colors in the fall especially come to mind. I don't mind seeing palms, but they always bring to mind warm or tropical climates (which I've tried to get away from), and I thought I left them behind years ago when I moved out of Florida!
Those seasonal color changing trees, only signify extra work to me. All that damn raking. Well if you're REALLY trying to get away from the haunting remnants of a Tropical climate, than move to the Northeast instead of the temperate westcoast. The NE is currently getting pelted by everlasting snow. No palm trees in sight in the Northeast. Just snow. 50 to 100ft piles of straight-up pure snow.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,058,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Those seasonal color changing trees, only signify extra work to me. All that damn raking. Well if you're REALLY trying to get away from the haunting remnants of a Tropical climate, than move to the Northeast instead of the temperate westcoast. The NE is currently getting pelted by everlasting snow. No palm trees in sight in the Northeast. Just snow. 50 to 100ft piles of straight-up pure snow.........
Get a leaf blower Seriously, I've done plenty of raking leaves in my life, but I love the change of color. Regarding the snow, I feel ya. I'm currently outside of Erie, PA visiting in-laws with my wife. Blizzard conditions outside, and even though the lake is frozen and the lake effect has been shut down, there is a ton of snow on the ground with no end in sight. And FWIW, we just moved to WA from the mountains of CO, so I'm a little familiar with wintry weather, to say the least.

I can't wait to return to WA, where interestingly enough, it's supposed to be sunny and in the 50's for the better part of the next 10 days. That is, provided we are able to fly out of this place.....

Old 02-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Get a leaf blower Seriously, I've done plenty of raking leaves in my life, but I love the change of color. Regarding the snow, I feel ya. I'm currently outside of Erie, PA visiting in-laws with my wife. Blizzard conditions outside, and even though the lake is frozen and the lake effect has been shut down, there is a ton of snow on the ground with no end in sight. And FWIW, we just moved to WA from the mountains of CO, so I'm a little familiar with wintry weather, to say the least.

I can't wait to return to WA, where interestingly enough, it's supposed to be sunny and in the 50's for the better part of the next 10 days. That is, provided we are able to fly out of this place.....
WA seems like a lovely place. Even though Seattle seems to be a rainy, damp, place, I prefer that PNW weather, to what's happening up North. Give me Seattles rain over relentless Blizzards any day.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:56 PM

11,154 posts, read 22,296,997 times
I kinda dig the palm trees they put out at some of the downtown beaches in Chicago each summer

Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM

5,169 posts, read 3,444,789 times
^LOVE it!

Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I kinda dig the palm trees they put out at some of the downtown beaches in Chicago each summer

Nice!!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 16,097,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, Boston is having a winter for the record books. In my part of the northeast (NJ) we've not had much snow this season.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 AM

22,790 posts, read 34,826,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
^LOVE it!
I do, too. Chicago does such a marvelous job of maintaining it's public spaces.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM

1,095 posts, read 716,521 times
Being a born Venezuelan, no US State has the tropical Palm trees we have at home. Californianis filled with palms but not the exotic tropical ones. Texas has a lot but they look like California palms. Florida has the closest thing to palms like the ones back home

Old 03-04-2015, 03:30 PM

589 posts, read 614,850 times
iv'e never seen a palm tree in person before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City