Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 10:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Wow. I'm much more impressed at the cacti growing like a weed in that pic. Cacti can handle cold, but that garden must have excellent drainage in order for them to thrive like that. Could be a sandy soil mix. Another thing is cacti usually wilt before winter to prepare for colder temps, but precip in the colder months is usually detrimental and often times ends up killing the plant. I've been to Chicago many times during winter and I remember plenty of 30-40 degree days where it would rain a pretty solid amount.
Those grow naturally in several spots all over IL, and yes, they grow in areas with sandy soil. Its always surprising to be hiking through the IL prairies, then stumble upon fields of prickly pear cacti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^this, extremely over-rated offering zero benefit and dangerous to climb and retrieve cocoanuts which it turns out they don't even have and the cops will arrest you for no good reason and slander you by saying you're drunk in public.
Uhhh, what?!

Sounds like youre completely ignorant about palm trees and have attempted to retrieve coconuts from non-coconut-bearing palms, and got busted while doing so, and now you have a personal vendetta against all varieties of palms. Am I right or am I right?

Old 12-11-2015, 03:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
WRONG. Palms in Chicago

I used to live there myself. Ive seen a few small palms in peoples' yards that survived. I have no idea what they were, so dont ask. hahaha They were maybe 3-4' tall, had a few "branches" coming off of them, and big, wide fronds. In fact, a business next door to mine had two of them out front. They would cover them up on the super cold nights, but on average winter nights, even with snow, they were good. Dont forget that Chicago is a Zone 4-5, and there are several palms that survive Zone 5 winters.

With that being said, Ive seen the same types of palms up in Flag. Ill have to grab a pic of one next time Im up there, I think theyre the same type.
Doesn't sound like a palm to me. No palm would have a chance in Chicago (zone 5) or anywhere else below zone 7 unless extensively protected.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Doesn't sound like a palm to me. No palm would have a chance in Chicago (zone 5) or anywhere else below zone 7 unless extensively protected.
You need to do some research. Thanks, take care then, bye bye now.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I have stumbled upon prickly pear in New York state growing in thin soil filled cracks in exposed bedrock.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:14 PM

67 posts, read 71,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I think that the states where they are most prevalent is
California
Nevada
Arizona
Florida
and Hawaii.
Only extreme southern Nevada, Clark and Nye Counties have Palm trees.
Most of Nevada the winters are too cold for palms.

Not all of Arizona either. Most of northern Arizona is too cold, except NW corner.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You need to do some research. Thanks, take care then, bye bye now.
If you say so lol.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:16 PM

173 posts, read 159,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have stumbled upon prickly pear in New York state growing in thin soil filled cracks in exposed bedrock.
Where in New York state?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:14 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post
Where in New York state?
I've encountered them on hikes in Orange and Ulster counties. Prickly pear can be found hroughout the eastern US.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:50 PM

173 posts, read 159,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've encountered them on hikes in Orange and Ulster counties. Prickly pear can be found hroughout the eastern US.
Ok, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City