Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 06:52 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVT150 View Post
Only extreme southern Nevada, Clark and Nye Counties have Palm trees.
Most of Nevada the winters are too cold for palms.

Not all of Arizona either. Most of northern Arizona is too cold, except NW corner.
I live in AZ I think IK that haha but yeah you are right I should have said Southern Arizona/Phoenix and Las vegas instead of Arizona and Nevada as a whole. I forgot to meantion a lot of other southern states where palm trees are prevalent such as South Carolina, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc_Anyday_Everyday View Post
Where in New York state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've encountered them on hikes in Orange and Ulster counties. Prickly pear can be found hroughout the eastern US.
The easiest place to find them that I know of that is close to the interstate is Hook Mtn. in Nyack.

Just hike a few minutes up from the road until you get 'above tree line' with a gorgeous view of the Hudson Valley and look around, nestled among the rocks you will find them.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:26 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
I was surprised to see a few palm trees around Seattle when I visited in November. I had to do a double take! I was like "whaaa?!" Tho, they were very small and I only saw them in like 2 places, but it was still kinda cool to see them considering how far north Seattle is.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I was surprised to see a few palm trees around Seattle when I visited in November. I had to do a double take! I was like "whaaa?!" Tho, they were very small and I only saw them in like 2 places, but it was still kinda cool to see them considering how far north Seattle is.
Yeah they are becoming more common.. I think they look nice personally and our climate is mild it's just not quite eh coastal california. It can be a little misleading and whenever it snows or frosts it's kind of funny to see on them, but they just push through it like the rest of us x)

These are actually in Tacoma because that is where I live and pass by these trees from time to time
550 N 2nd St

https://goo.gl/maps/aW7gk3Qj8hv

808 N 2nd St

https://goo.gl/maps/6NG8LHtMBf52

5089 N Pearl St

https://goo.gl/maps/N1xcz67uBtu

https://goo.gl/maps/JuwRSDMJcKx

Last edited by blaserbrad; 12-14-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 17,737 times
Yeah, I guess Alaskans could put plastic palm trees on thier shores, so they'd have the feeling of "having a tropical vegetation"...that's ridiculous..keep the palm trees to the climates where they belong. Or why not plant spruces in Miami to have the feeling to be in the Rockies ? preposterous
ps oh and I HATE palm trees nurtured in greenhouse and showed off to the "general public" in public gardens in flowerpots; it looks and feels artificial surrounded by oaks , aspens, sycomores, and the whole temperate climates vegetation.
Stick to the plants of your own biozone, there are enough of them!(same for animals, by the way) ...because some plants and animals are invasive and soon they thrive to the expense of the local flora & fauna...[/quote]
y

you probably think palms belong in California. then you defied your whole point! Palms arent native to California exempt the desert oasis's near Arizona! and some palms like the sabal texicana are native to Texas shorelines.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExerciseGuy View Post
Yeah, I guess Alaskans could put plastic palm trees on thier shores, so they'd have the feeling of "having a tropical vegetation"...that's ridiculous..keep the palm trees to the climates where they belong. Or why not plant spruces in Miami to have the feeling to be in the Rockies ? preposterous
ps oh and I HATE palm trees nurtured in greenhouse and showed off to the "general public" in public gardens in flowerpots; it looks and feels artificial surrounded by oaks , aspens, sycomores, and the whole temperate climates vegetation.
Stick to the plants of your own biozone, there are enough of them!(same for animals, by the way) ...because some plants and animals are invasive and soon they thrive to the expense of the local flora & fauna...
y

you probably think palms belong in California. then you defied your whole point! Palms arent native to California exempt the desert oasis's near Arizona! and some palms like the sabal texicana are native to Texas shorelines.[/quote]

Yea I'd have to disagree with him as well. Palms look great in CA, and they look less tacky when planted with oaks and other large canopy trees.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExerciseGuy View Post
Stick to the plants of your own biozone, there are enough of them!(same for animals, by the way) ...because some plants and animals are invasive and soon they thrive to the expense of the local flora & fauna...
y

You joined C-D just to get mad about the fact that some people have palm trees in northern latitudes? They're generally Windmill Palms, which are hardy enough to survive cold temperatures- they're native to high mountain regions in China- hardly the climate you'd normally associate with palm trees.

I live in NW Washington, and I see them here and in Southern BC fairly frequently. They're almost always used for landscaping and gardening. It's nothing to be that upset about- and they're not threatening to take over the local flora.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 15,671 times
Default lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
What U.S states has palm trees?

And... how come the palm trees in Florida looks almost dead when they get so much rain and sunshine, while S. California's Palms looks fresh and doesn't get rain at summer
no Florida palm trees l actually m fresh than California go to south florida and find out and central Florida

Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloridaboii View Post
no Florida palm trees l actually m fresh than California go to south florida and find out and central Florida
California palm trees travel to Florida for vacation?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I did notice some pretty sad-looking palms planted along the waterfront in Seattle. They were maybe six feet tall with small sparse fronds..nothing I would personally even bother planting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City