Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State has Better Beaches (activities,water, appearance,swimmable,weather)
California Beaches 78 34.67%
Florida Beaches 147 65.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,921,592 times

Advertisements

Most of the top 10 lists for beaches include several from Florida. Only San Diego makes the list for California.

I love Florida beaches for swimming, sunning and shellling. California beaches are pretty to look at but mostly they are too cold for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
For most people Florida's beaches will be better b/c they are warmer and have nicer sand. If you are into surfing, body boarding, boogie boarding, or varied scenery then Ca will be better.

I like the scenery and variety of CA's beaches but on the downside it's only warm enough to swim in the water w/o a wetsuit from late May through late September and only from Santa Barbara southward to San Diego. Anything north of SB is too cold and many times dangerous year round. The water is Southern Ca is much clearer, warmer,and calmer than Northern Ca, especially in summer. Water temperatures are usually in the upper 60's to mid 70's in Southern CA in summer as opposed to 50's up north. So there is a big difference btwn NorCal and SoCal when it comes to beaches, few people in NorCal go to the beaches on a regular basis.

FL's beaches seem like they are more accessible too. I think warmer beaches are probably on of the few advantages it has over CA.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:36 AM

322 posts, read 1,103,397 times
a few things seperate florida beaches from california beaches..... and ive been to both of them lot's of times...it's almost impossible not to tell the difference..

1. First of all the Pacific ocean is soo much cooler in terms of water temperature then the Atlantic and definitely the Gulf of mexico.... so obviously it's gonna be a lot colder to swim in.. which is a disadvantage to most people because most people are afraid of the cold.... i mean im not... rivers are twice as cold as pacific ocean in california.. even in the summertime..and i always spend time at the river...

2. most of the pacific coast in california north of santa barbara is rocky and rugged like it is in oregon so..you can't really spend beach time there...i mean there's still beaches but not sandy beaches covering the entire coastline like in florida... but yeah still..

3. the air is way cooler on the beach in california with highs in the 60's north of santa barbara...and only in the low 80's south to san diego... so i mean that's not really weather you'd have to cool off in...you know... all of Florida is in the 90's for most of the year... so it makes sense to go to the beach to cool off... even though it really doesn't cool you off the water temperature is in the mid 80's there...lol.....not really much of a cool down...

inevitably Florida just has better beaches if you want to swim in the beach and relax there.... california has the scenery though for the beaches....

Florida wins this argument by a long shot....not even close..

Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,207 times
why would I want to swim in warm water on a hot day? SoCal beaches aren't that cold unless you're a wuss. U burn off the cold within 1 minute anyway after diving into it. And if worse comes to worse, throw on a wetsuit!

I picked CA beaches over FL beaches and let me tell you why from a scientifiic standpoint. Southern CA for the most part is an irrigated desert with a mediterranian climate. The reason SoCal has near perfect weather is because offshore winds from the cold waters of the pacific moderate SoCals naturally hot atmosphere into mild temperatures year round and thus, day temps range around room temperature for the most part and night temps cool off slightly but not too much because again SoCal is kind of a desert.

Florida beaches on the other hand are warm, and warm water evaporates quickly thus intensifying the power of hurricanes whenever a high pressure flows into the gulf, and events like Katrina and Andrew occur. Warm water also makes a hot region sticky because the evaporated water makes the air very humid, even in 60 degree temperature. This is why Florida is very humid, and sticky air attracts all kinds of bugs/pests and alligators and cubans and college students and foreclosures!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
And if worse comes to worse, throw on a wetsuit!
heh
Why would I want to put on a wetsuit on a hot day?
California has plenty of advantages over Florida.
But its beaches, while beautiful, are not one of them.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,947 times
Florida beaches, definitely!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM

47 posts, read 139,557 times
Quote:
why would I want to swim in warm water on a hot day? SoCal beaches aren't that cold unless you're a wuss. U burn off the cold within 1 minute anyway after diving into it. And if worse comes to worse, throw on a wetsuit!

I picked CA beaches over FL beaches and let me tell you why from a scientifiic standpoint. Southern CA for the most part is an irrigated desert with a mediterranian climate. The reason SoCal has near perfect weather is because offshore winds from the cold waters of the pacific moderate SoCals naturally hot atmosphere into mild temperatures year round and thus, day temps range around room temperature for the most part and night temps cool off slightly but not too much because again SoCal is kind of a desert.

Florida beaches on the other hand are warm, and warm water evaporates quickly thus intensifying the power of hurricanes whenever a high pressure flows into the gulf, and events like Katrina and Andrew occur. Warm water also makes a hot region sticky because the evaporated water makes the air very humid, even in 60 degree temperature. This is why Florida is very humid, and sticky air attracts all kinds of bugs/pests and alligators and cubans and college students and foreclosures!
that was pretty funny but I personaly like flordia beaches. I still like malibu's beaches though

Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Quote:

Reasonable argument until you got to this. California is ground zero for the foreclosure crisis.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,461 times
It's all about Florida beaches here! Far superior to California beaches, although the Northern Cal coast is very pretty (Humboldt area). South Carolina, NC (outer banks) are also better.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
Why would I want to put on a wetsuit on a hot day?
California has plenty of advantages over Florida.
But its beaches, while beautiful, are not one of them.
I don't know, cuz ur a wuss? Only u can know 4 sure. Temps at SD beaches are around 72 right now, that's far from freezing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City