U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which State has Better Beaches (activities,water, appearance,swimmable,weather)
California Beaches 61 36.31%
Florida Beaches 107 63.69%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 154,580 times

Advertisements

I've been to both Santa Monica beach in California and to Boynton Beach, South Beach, Miami Beach in Florida. I prefer Florida's beaches because the water is warm and cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,566,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've seen pods of Dolphins off of San Diego's coast many times. My dad, while fishing up off the coast of colder Northern CA, was surrounded by a huge pod of dolphins before.

And there are dolphins along the east coast, just go look up where their habitats are and it includes the entire Atlantic and Pacific seaboards of the US.
I don't know. I've been out to Long Island many times and have seen nothing. My friend has a boat out on the North Fork of LI and during the summer we always go out on the boat and we see nothing when it comes to dolphins. We saw whales and sea lions but never a dolphin.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,425,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
There are no dolphins in CA in the ocean or anywhere here in the Northeast. There are sea lions, but no dolphins.

My ideal vacation is to the Keys. Absolutely beautiful.
Hmm, I'm not sure about the Northeast, but there are tons of Dolphins in California. I once took the ferry from Long Beach to Catalina Island, and the boat was being followed by a superpod (this is actually a technical term) of dolphins that contained at least 100 individuals. It was amazing, as they were having a grand old time playing around, porpoising, breaching, eating, etc. I've also seen whales, sea otters, and tons of sea lions.

Anyways...this topic has been already been discussed several times on this board. All I can say is, to each his own. California does have some nice beaches, which are very swimable if you can brave water temps in the 60's (which isn't too bad once you get used to it). Florida, however, is always going to be more comfortably swimable.

In my opion:
Beaches - Florida > California
Coastlines - Florida < California

Don't forget California's freshwater beaches either. California has tons of rivers and lakes that make for nice swimming/rafting as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,136,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I don't know. I've been out to Long Island many times and have seen nothing. My friend has a boat out on the North Fork of LI and during the summer we always go out on the boat and we see nothing when it comes to dolphins. We saw whales and sea lions but never a dolphin.
No Dolphins in California??? Have you ever heard of Dana Point Dolphin Safari? About 90% of the time I go to the beach here I see Dolphins. We just came back from Catalina a few weeks ago and there was a pod of a few hundred dolphins jumping off the wake of the boat and doing twists in the air.

Golden State Images - Common Dolphin White-Sided Dolphin Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin Rissos Dolphin Photographs - Stock Photography

Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,997,895 times
Florida all the way ....California beaches are pretty but the water's too cold

Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,566,323 times
Florida, my vacation land...
Image link: http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...o-key-west.jpg

I love going to Key West. If the Bermuda Triangle didn't creep me out so much, I'd go out there. But I'm not taking any chances.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2009 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint

Old 10-23-2008, 02:46 PM

521 posts, read 1,459,502 times
I think the big pro of Florida beaches over California is the warm water. However, I think the positives stop right there. The sand though gets really hot and when its humid --theres no point in jumping in the water.

I like the California scenery over Florida's. I also like the vibe alot better. I would say that surfing is also a bigger plus in California. Plus, the winds coming in from the west make it easier for wind sports.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 PM

810 posts, read 3,518,066 times
I find the Atlantic beaches in Florida nice, but I really don't care for the bathtub on the gulf side. Either way, I'm more of a walker, as I prefer to do my swimming in a pool, and I usually have no desire to actually get in, so I'd say CA's because I find the rugged coast more interesting to look at. If I were swimming, though, I'd have to go with FL all the way.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 PM

1,291 posts, read 3,488,552 times
You can't have it all. The cool pacific is what keeps California mild. The warm water around SoFla keeps it uncomfortably hot/humid all year. I'd take the cool ocean with the mild weather over the warm ocean and humidity any day.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,415,979 times
....While overall preference is an individual opinion..id have to throw a few votes in for Florida, ..and here's why...

Most of my younger years were spent within 20 miles of the beaches here in the central part of Calif. I can remember many excursions "over the hill" to the beaches around Santa Cruz.. While there were a # of occasions when the weather cooperated.More often,the fog would roll in and a nice dip in those already cool waters would leave you feelin pretty chilly.

After a few years living in both Kansas and Ohio,and not seeing any sort of ocean for Quite awhile,..i had the oppertunity to visit different places..

..The first place i got to visit was the Texas coast, Corpis Christi and So. Padre islnd. to be exact. This road trip would also be my first chance to see the Gulf of Mexico.
While i liked what i saw,id always wanted to visit Florida esp. after seeing so many pictures of clear/warm water,let alone all the stories about how nice the beaches there were.
That summer i wasted no time using vacation time and headed south.
12 hours later and quite tired, id set eyes on exactly what id hoped to see,and almost instantly,i fell in love with all of it..

While the beaches here are definitely interesting, have alot of character,and provide ledgendary surfing conditions due to the quick drop off of the coastline here..the water isn't all that clear,often full of sea weed and often rough.
I was surprised how quiet the waters were down in Florida,let alone how far you could wade out in the water itself,and still see the bottom. try that here and you'll feel the bottom dissippear quite rapidly, and you won't notice a thing. About the only place here in California which comes close to "clear water" is down around San Diego..and yes,definitely a nice spot..

Another thing i liked was being able to see all sorts of fish swimming around. I guess even human legs make a nice,mobile sun block for them lol.
I also liked how fine the sand is on most of the beaches i visited there..the sand here is pretty coarse,not the best for swimming in..or dealing with..

When i think of a great day at the beach,or a nice morning stroll along one, i picture Florida...no fog anywhere to spoil it,and nice warm evenings to people watch or stargaze,while a distant storm puts on an awesome light show over the Gulf..
When i think of the beaches i grew up near, i picture surfing beside sea lions,a cozy beach side fire,on a cool foggy summer night,and lots of neat tide pool creatures to look for..

Both locations have distinct vibes as well. Santa Cruz is a classic surfing town on the CA. coastline..radiant and eclectic..

The vibe along Florida's gulf coast is perhaps a bit less eclectic but is just as "alive"..there was always something going on during the time i was visiting..and there seems to be this Caribbean flavor in the air,especially the further south you venture.
Both areas boast awesome seafood,and that quirky beach town feel,and both areas have alot of neat places to visit

In the end however,i have to say that i can't wait to return to the Florida gulf...Perhaps its my Hawaiian heritage thats fond of a location which enjoys endless sunny days,and an evening dip in warm waters..i can always come on home to surf around the lighthouse...

Last edited by si33; 12-22-2008 at 11:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or