Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 04:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I agree. It would be nice to have more public transportation in Houston. In America the public transportation sucks everywhere except NYC and San Francisco. These two cities are definitely the exception and not the rule. In America everybody likes to drive so public transportation is almost non-existent. Everywhere but the two cities I mentioned above public transportation is almost exclusively used by the poor people. They kind of have to use it since they don't own cars.
You are confused.

Chicago,Boston,Philadlephia,Washington DC have incredibly extensive mass transit operations that reach into the far (wealthy)suburbs. Portland, Seattle,Baltimore, Atlanta,LA,DFW among others although smaller than those mentioned above are impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I see what you did there.
I'm still trying to figure out what he did. It's like a puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I'm pretty sure I read it right. It was 5 or 6 years back to vote on whether we wanted to extend light rail or not. I voted for it. I've never heard of the Galveston-Houston commuter line. This must be some recent development that I didn't hear about. Right now we have the Bay Area Park and Ride which is good if you're going to downtown.
It's most definitely not new.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Houston dallas Denver portland are a step behind Atlanta Philadelphia
Slight clarifacation; DFW a step behind, Houston and Denver two.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Slight clarifacation; DFW a step behind, Houston and Denver two.
I think Denver is fine for its size. It's just Houston that has lacked in the rail department (until the recent announcements). It's been fine in the bus and the Park and Ride (basically commuter rail) department.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Houston dallas Denver portland are a step behind Atlanta Philadelphia
The only thing Marta has over Dart is it goes to the airport.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Next year, DART will have a stop at Love Field. For Houston, this is not happening for another seven years at least. Right now, we just have a direct commuter bus to the airport from Downtown. Seven years can't come soon enough.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Next year, DART will have a stop at Love Field. For Houston, this is not happening for another seven years at least. Right now, we just have a direct commuter bus to the airport from Downtown. Seven years can't come soon enough.
(Supposedly) in four years DART will reach DFW also. We shall see.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You are confused.

Chicago,Boston,Philadlephia,Washington DC have incredibly extensive mass transit operations that reach into the far (wealthy)suburbs. Portland, Seattle,Baltimore, Atlanta,LA,DFW among others although smaller than those mentioned above are impressive.
I'm not confused. Maybe I had the wrong impression. I've been to Boston and Chicago and I don't remember seeing a lot of mass transit. I forgot about Washington. Yeah Washington has pretty good mass transit. I've taken it before. That was a long time ago so I forgot about it. I've never been to several of the cities you mentioned so I can't comment on those. I don't know anything about Dallas's mass transit either. It was just my impression that in America everybody likes to drive their own car. Big cars, big houses, etc. Everybody likes big in America.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what he did. It's like a puzzle.

It's most definitely not new.
Here's a Houston Chronicle article dated Nov. 15, 2007. You see I told you it was a recent development. This was just a little over a year ago. That's a recent development to me. Anything that has occurred in the last 3 or 4 years is a recent development in my book. I had never heard of this proposed commuter line so they didn't report it much in the news. It must be just a maybe right now.

Study calls Galveston-Houston rail line a must-do | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I've spent two weeks in Houston and wouldn't call it the most underrated city in the U.S. by a long shot. That's not to say "Houston is terrible," but there are far more underrated cities.

I'd put Detroit on the list, maybe Buffalo, Milwaulkee, and even Baltimore before Houston. Denver too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City