U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,969,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well I guess you can take Miller Brewing Company off the list because some of my family works for them and the headquarters is moving to Chicago.
Wrong. Miller-Coors headquarters are in Chicago, but Miller still has corporate offices in Milwaukee and Coors still has corporate offices in Denver.

Quote:
Second Indianapolis is known for all the races mentioned before and our sports teams, plus the Superbowl in 2012.
Honestly, who cares about racing? NASCAR is for rednecks and Formula One is for Europeans. Both "sports" are just pitiful excuses to burn copious amounts of fossil fuels while overweight patrons watch colorful cars go round-and-round in a circle for 4 hours. Sounds like a blast.

BTW, it's 2009 so I'm not sure why you're counting a Super Bowl that won't take place for over 2 years. What if a tornado destroys your football stadium between now and then?

Quote:
Not to mention the convention center which hosts huge conventions. So what major events is Milwaukee known for?
Besides the Star Wars convention, what other significant conventions have ever been held in Indy? Regardless, Indy isn't even close to being a major convention city like Chicago, Orlando, or Las Vegas. You and your fellow Hoosiers still haven't put forth anything substantive that your city is synonymous with or why it's better than the other cities being compared.

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 12-01-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,872,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Wrong. Miller-Coors headquarters are in Chicago, but Miller still has corporate offices in Milwaukee and Coors still has corporate offices in Denver.

Honestly, who cares about racing? NASCAR is for rednecks and Formula One is for Europeans. Both "sports" are just pitiful excuses to burn copious amounts of fossil fuels while overweight patrons watch colorful cars go round-and-round in a circle for 4 hours. Sounds like a blast.

BTW, it's 2009 so I'm not sure why you're counting a Super Bowl that won't take place for nearly 3 years. What if a tornado destroys your football stadium between now and then?

Besides the Star Wars convention, what other significant conventions have ever been held in Indy? Besides, Indy isn't even close to being a major convention city like Chicago, Orlando, or Las Vegas. You and your fellow Hoosiers still haven't put forth anything substantive that your city is synonymous with.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,468,337 times
Quote:
Hundreds of millions around the world care about racing, judging by all of the different circuits running. BTW......Formula One hasn't raced in Indy for over 2 years. If you're going to ridicule, at least know what you're talking about.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,458,086 times
Quote:
Haha.

If those fools had the ability to push their stupid cars around the track even one time, I'd consider them athletes. Heck, I would even go to the track, buy a ticket and a few beers, and maybe even cheer them on.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:45 PM

Location: in the sun with all shadows behind me, in a small town with no "culture" to malign me
80 posts, read 63,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
When you say Miller people will always think of Milwaukee and besides it is still brewed here.

Not only that but he was wrong anyway. Miller Brewing still has its headquarters in Milwaukee. Miller/Coors which is the joint venture is headquartered in Chicago.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,188,864 times
Quote:
Okay I agree with you about NASCAR, but Formula 1 is a totally different sport, and the audiences for both are on opposite ends of the social spectrum. Up until about 5 years ago I used to be one of the 6 Americans who actually watched F1, but they screwed it up so I stopped. Instead of watching ugly large American cars with painted on grilles make a left turn for 3 hours, F1 showcases actual race cars driven by drivers from all around the world, on actually challenging racecourses, and the fans aren't the type who'll chew tobacco and walk around the trailer park in wifebeaters all day.

About the cities, they fall into the "Forgotten Cities" category.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM

80 posts, read 196,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post

About the cities, they fall into the "Forgotten Cities" category.

WHAT?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 PM

80 posts, read 196,725 times
[quote=cpterp;11864281] and the fans aren't the type who'll chew tobacco and walk around the trailer park in wifebeaters all day.

Generalize much?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,913,063 times
[quote=AMC Man Dan King O' Keno;11864482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
and the fans aren't the type who'll chew tobacco and walk around the trailer park in wifebeaters all day.

Generalize much?
Not when Nascar fans reinforce their hick image, turn on a race you won't see pea coats and parkas like you do at a Yankee game.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 43,860 times
Milwaukee may have the more famous art museum building, but the Indianapolis Museum of Art has by far and away the better collection of art - not even close. See the following: Indianapolis Museum of Art: Modern, African & Fine Art, Gardens

Further Butler has two national basketball championships 1923 and 1929. Basketball was played long before the NCAA existed and of course Butler still plays in the Indiana and national college basketball shrine - Hinkle Fieldhouse - Butler University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I think Marquette plays in some multi-use nondescript city facility located a distance off campus.

Butler -2
Marquette -1

Indianapolis is most certainly part of the rust belt. Central Indiana was heavily dependent on the auto industry. Anderson with Delco Remy and Guide Lamp (both gone). Muncie with Warner Gear and Delco Battery (both gone). New Castle with Chrysler (now gone). Bloomington - General Electric and RCA (now gone). Indianapolis with the Chrysler foundry, Ford Electric, Jenn-Air, Western Electric and myriad auto suppliers) now gone. Indianapolis had the advantage that it always had a life sciences sector with Eli Lilly, Roche Diagnostics and many smaller health care related companies, it was not as badly damaged by the decline of American Mfg. long term, because it has an expanding life science sector.

Things Indianapolis is known for:

The Indianapolis 500
Duesenburg and Stutz Automobiles (two Great American Marques)
Monument Circle and the Indiana War Memorial
Indiana State House
The Indianapolis Children's Museum
Kurt Vonnegut
President Benjamin Harrison

BTW, I choose Minneapolis as the place I would want to live, if I picked off this short list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City