U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:44 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,302,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, Indianapolis was never considered a part of the Rust Belt. Therefore, it can't shed a bad rap for something it was never a part of in the first place.
Yes, Indianapolis is part of the Rust Belt...it extends into central Indiana, exactly where Indy is located:

I have to say that the average American would know much more about Indianapolis than about Milwaukee - which is pretty much forgotten by most of the country due to it's proximity to Chicago. Indianapolis is centrally located, while Milwaukee is in the northern Siberia section of the U.S. Indy gets much more national media attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,991,074 times
Quote:

Second, you're nuts if you think people know anything about your city. I can't even picture what your skyline looks like. I can't name a single street or neighborhood in your city. I can't name any companies based out of your city. I don't know what river, if any, runs through your city. You have to admit Indianapolis is pretty anonymous as far as big cities go. All I know is Peyton Manning plays for the Colts and the Indy 500 is a big deal for Formula One racing.

That's still more than the average person knows about Indianapolis. Don't forget to add Harley-Davidson, Kohl's Department stores, Miller Brewing Company, Klement's Sausage, and Milwaukee Power Tools to your list.
You should get out more. First, I doubt most folks know what Milwaukee's skyline looks like either, nor could they name a major thoroughfare. So what?

Second, the Indy 500 is not a big deal for Formula One racing. It's a big deal for the Indy Racing League and U.S. open-wheel racing. The IRL is NOT Formula One -- completely different circuit. Don't forget Indy also hosts the Brickyard 400, one of NASCAR's premier events, along with the Moto GP.

As for companies in Indy, think Eli Lilly (HQ), WellPoint (one of the largest health insurers, HQ), Celadon Trucking (HQ), FedEx (second largest hub), Republic Airlines (new owners of Midwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines), the NCAA (HQ), Lions International (HQ), Emmis Communications (owns radio and TV stations, HQ) and Simon Property Group (largest U.S. shopping mall owner, HQ).

Lastly, I was referring to SAB Miller when I said "bad beer."

Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 PM

6,786 posts, read 11,592,910 times
Quote:
I have to say that the average American would know much more about Indianapolis than about Milwaukee - which is pretty much forgotten by most of the country due to it's proximity to Chicago.
Actually it might be the opposite, I have met plenty of people who have traveled to Chicago to see Chicago but then come up to Milwaukee to go to a Brewers game or brewery tour or see the art museum. I have met plenty of people that said "we came to visit Chicago but decided to head up to Milwaukee for a day". It's like if you go to LA and decided to head down to SD for a day.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Actually it might be the opposite, I have met plenty of people who have traveled to Chicago to see Chicago but then come up to Milwaukee to go to a Brewers game or brewery tour or see the art museum. I have met plenty of people that said "we came to visit Chicago but decided to head up to Milwaukee for a day". It's like if you go to LA and decided to head down to SD for a day.
The first time I went to Chicago, we drove over to South Bend for the day and saw the College Football Hall of Fame and toured Notre Dame campus. That's probably because we are football nuts, but we never even thought about Milwaukee.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth Milwaukee...I'm sure it's a fine city and it definitely has some historical significance along with a culturally diverse population. But it just doesn't seem to be on a lot of folks' radar. With two baseball teams and all the museums in Chicago, I can't imagine wanting to drive up to Milwaukee to see the ones there. The Calatrava design must be fabulous to see in person though.

I've only been to Indianapolis once, and that was when I visited a good friend in Louisville...we spent a couple of days in Indy, choosing it over Cincinnati and Columbus. Milwaukee would probably be just as much fun, but it's not quite as easy to get to. Indianapolis gets SO MUCH attention through it's sports and sporting events that Milwaukee just doesn't get.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM

6,786 posts, read 11,592,910 times
Quote:
The first time I went to Chicago, we drove over to South Bend for the day and saw the College Football Hall of Fame and toured Notre Dame campus.
HA weird, a buddy of mine and I went out for a night of drinking in Chicago and it was a cold Friday and there just wasn't a lot of people out so we decided to just drive over to South Bend also to see Notre Dame and of course drink. It's very easy to get to Milwaukee from Chicago we have a train that takes you from downtown Chicago to Milwaukee it makes 8 trips daily in 1.5hrs per trip.

PS: that town was completely dead!!!! I still wonder to this day why we couldn't find any bars and all the bars were empty???

Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
HA weird, a buddy of mine and I went out for a night of drinking in Chicago and it was a cold Friday and there just wasn't a lot of people out so we decided to just drive over to South Bend also to see Notre Dame and of course drink. It's very easy to get to Milwaukee from Chicago we have a train that takes you from downtown Chicago to Milwaukee it makes 8 trips daily in 1.5hrs per trip.

PS: that town was completely dead!!!! I still wonder to this day why we couldn't find any bars and all the bars were empty???
We just went for the day...I had always wanted to walk around Notre Dame campus - it was snowy/cold and beautiful. The Hall of Fame was cool too, but it will be better in Atlanta. We went back to Chicago for bars.

If I ever get back up there I'll definitely go to Milwaukee for a day. It's one of about 7-8 major U.S. cities I've never visited.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,991,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You should get out more. First, I doubt most folks know what Milwaukee's skyline looks like either, nor could they name a major thoroughfare. So what?

Second, the Indy 500 is not a big deal for Formula One racing. It's a big deal for the Indy Racing League and U.S. open-wheel racing. The IRL is NOT Formula One -- completely different circuit. Don't forget Indy also hosts the Brickyard 400, one of NASCAR's premier events, along with the Moto GP.

As for companies in Indy, think Eli Lilly (HQ), WellPoint (one of the largest health insurers, HQ), Celadon Trucking (HQ), FedEx (second largest hub), Republic Airlines (new owners of Midwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines), the NCAA (HQ), Lions International (HQ), Emmis Communications (owns radio and TV stations, HQ) and Simon Property Group (largest U.S. shopping mall owner, HQ).

Lastly, I was referring to SAB Miller when I said "bad beer."
Edit: I meant Kiwanis, not Lions.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 PM

7,415 posts, read 4,606,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

I have to say that the average American would know much more about Indianapolis than about Milwaukee - which is pretty much forgotten by most of the country due to it's proximity to Chicago. Indianapolis is centrally located, while Milwaukee is in the northern Siberia section of the U.S. Indy gets much more national media attention.
It is interesting if this fact will change since recently Milwaukee was added in the Metro Statistical Area of the greater Chicagoland area. This made this megalopolis to top over 10 mil and more than 100 mile radius.
So in effect, the cities are merging.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 AM

1,991 posts, read 2,227,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Second, the Indy 500 is not a big deal for Formula One racing.
Exactly. And on top of that, the Indy circuit has been dropped from the Formula One calndar for something like two or three years now.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,834,229 times
Quote:
What's so "nasty" about what I said?
Implying that the citizens of Indianapolis are a bunch of farmers riding around on tractors--that's not exactly a nice comment. And I would be happy to share with you my opinions about the fine city of Milwaukee, although they would probably be about as misinformed as are yours concerning Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City