U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD vs H-town
Houston 22 34.92%
San Diego 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:46 AM

4,776 posts, read 10,501,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
So your saying Houston sucked because theres nothing special there??? I really don't see what else you can do in other major cities thats "special".
Read through all of my posts and tell me where I said that Houston sucks. I'm just saying that it's not as great as all you shameless Houston boosters make it out to be. Don't get upset because you've been exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown
Why don't you tell me what I might have missed while I was in Houston that is so special? What I mean is, what can I do there that you can't do in San Diego or anywhere else.
Give me a break, as if anyone outside of Texas even cares about the San Jacinto Monument. I suppose you are going to tell me it's right up there with Independence Hall in Philly, right? Can you tell me about the history of California? No, didn't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown
How about I do a Las Vegas vs. San Diego poll and watch SD get blown away by the wind.
You certainly called this one, didn't you? Here's a link to the LV vs. SD poll that was put up after you suggested doing so - http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...san-diego.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is an ambience in the air from those three that will impress most visitors and have them coming back to experience it again. That's where the San Diego poster that been to Houston was talking about. The lakefront and downtown Chicago to the sheer urbanity and party areas of Manhattan and New York to the beaches and mountains of Los Angeles. Houston has little to no areas that create that type of atmosphere.
Thank you for understanding what I was trying to say. You are exactly right, I saw and found nothing in Houston that made me think "I love this" or "This is so cool". For example, I found Downtown Houston to be nothing but a facade. All of those tall and shiny buildings look great from afar, but once on the streets between them, one realizes that it's an urban wasteland, no people or cars. I was there twice, once on the weekend and another after 7:00 on a weekday. Then there was the steam (and smell) from the refineries in Stinkadena , the heat/haze, flatness, etc.

I'll probably be back there in a year for a wedding and perhaps at that time, I'll have a Houston "moment". Until then, I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000
Well what exactly is being compared here. I will admit I have not set foot at all in San Diego but from what I hear and see its a beautiful city and has many things going for itself. Aside from that Houston is a Gamma world city and San Diego is nowhere near that. In that aspect its laugable to even mention SD in the same breath as Houston. Seriously some of you guys are on drugs.
That's funny, because when I first saw this thread, I thought it was more of an insult to San Diego. FYI, you and your boosters should stop living and dying by all of the nonsense listings and rankings out there, it really makes you all look desperate.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:30 AM

343 posts, read 828,110 times
Quote:
That's funny, because when I first saw this thread, I thought it was more of an insult to San Diego. FYI, you and your boosters should stop living and dying by all of the nonsense listings and rankings out there, it really makes you all look desperate.
Why would it be an insult to San Diego? FYI I am not a booster. So your saying all those rankings and listing dont mean squat?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM

756 posts, read 1,662,943 times
Why do the Cali posters always try to create a nonexistent rivalry? SD/LA and SF/LA are rivalries.

I would probably pick just about any American city over LA.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,403,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Why do the Cali posters always try to create a nonexistent rivalry? SD/LA and SF/LA are rivalries.

I would probably pick just about any American city over LA.
What rivalry are we trying to create? Maybe if you had actually read the entire thread you would see it's TX posters trying to create some imaginary rivalry between San Diego and LA despite people from both cities saying there is NO rivalry at all. The only rivalry in the state exists btwn SF and LA.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What you say is true about LA & San Diego [generally people outside California try to stir-up resentments between the 2 cities that aren't there. Go into any sports club\bar in LA & the patrons are rooting for the Chargers [since Los Angeles has no pro-football . The big rivals are the Dodgers & San Francisco Giants. San Diego is easily accessible by train [a wonderful way to travel btw] from Union station [that stops at Anaheim stadium].

You never hear people out here trash talk other cities & there isn't any rivalry between the cities [San Francisco\ San Jose\ Los Angeles\ San Diego]. California is what we have in common
Actually i got to disagree with you on this. I was born and raised in San Diego (south bay) and all my life Chargers v. Raiders and Padres v. Dodgers are known for their rivalries. On the news these were always the roudiest games. I remember as a dumb kid, my friends and I would look forward to these games so we can go and get into trouble. But than again my friends and i were street kids. Dont know how it is for your average middle class white person in north county. Two different worlds in San Diego, as it is in every major city. For a lot of people who have nothing, sport teams are almost like a gang for some of us. Now that i am older i realize its just a game, but there are a lot of people who dont realize that. Now SD does not want to be like LA. Your average Sand Diegan is proud that we are not as busy and on the go as LA is. The thing with LA is that its simply just too big. 10 million people in the county is too much and leads to high amounts of crime, homeless, and gangs. Were happy we are not like LA.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,454,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The Houstonians on this thread need to chill. You need to learn to take constructive criticism and stop boosting at every chance you get. You also do not need to put down other cities just to highlight the positives about yours. That basically is going out to one person.

It is well known that Houston is not a great city to visit but a great city to live. There isn't much you can do in Houston as of right now for entertainment. That is changing with the new Pavilions and more entertainment districts being built around the city especially inside the loop. But as of now, Houston doesn't have much at all that makes people think I could come back to visit this. Right now, the same amenities you have in Houston, you can easily do so in other coastal cities (YES, Houston is a coastal city because parts of its suburbs are on the Gulf).
Can't wait until 2012 though. The largest theme park in the South (Earth Quest Adventures) will be finished by then. The guy who designed Islands of Adventures or Jurassic Park (I think both) is behind it. Rumored that Universal wants to slap their name on the theme park. It'll be in a nice setting (piney woods and rolling terrain 30 miles NE of Houston).

Houston's tourism choices are increasing every year. It's getting better here.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:59 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,405,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Can't wait until 2012 though. The largest theme park in the South (Earth Quest Adventures) will be finished by then. The guy who designed Islands of Adventures or Jurassic Park (I think both) is behind it. Rumored that Universal wants to slap their name on the theme park. It'll be in a nice setting (piney woods and rolling terrain 30 miles NE of Houston).

Houston's tourism choices are increasing every year. It's getting better here.
Bigger than Disneyworld? Where exactly will Earth Quest be located?

I tried doing a google search but i'm not getting very good information. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Bigger than Disneyworld? Where exactly will Earth Quest be located?

I tried doing a google search but i'm not getting very good information. Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Oh, I meant to say largest outside of Disney World. Knew I was missing something.

Check here: Earth Quest Adventure - Houston Architecture Info Forum - Houston's largest online community

Read all seven pages as they each have links to different articles and stories. Also, there is suppose to be an indoor ski resort nearby. I have pictures of the renderings for it.

But an article from the last week of October: http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/20...mcdinosaur.txt

Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 PM

Here we are:

Snow Mountain, Texas: Indoor Ski in Houston.

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...3d-diagram.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...n-sections.jpg

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...-site-plan.jpg

It’s difficult to imagine anything more perfect for 21st-century coastal Texas than this: A 2.7-million-sq.-ft. self-contained year-round indoor ski resort on a 21-acre site . . . on the “outskirts” of Houston.

Some details on this proposed development are available on the website of S333, an architecture firm based in the Netherlands. The firm’s London office has worked hard to pack hotels, indoor water parks, “extensive recreation areas,” a parking garage, retail space, timeshare apartments, and five separate ski slopes into what appears in the company’s drawings to be an 18-story terrace-roofed megastructure.

Inside the building, the different ski slopes and play areas are arranged side by side to form a continuous landscape of snow surfaces. New advances in scenography, acoustics and building technologies will be employed to create the ultimate feeling of ‘still being outside’ on a mountain.

The external shape and form of the building continues the landscape theme that is established in the building’s interior. The rising geometry of the ski slopes is extended as a series of stepped terraces. These terraces accommodate on one side private apartments and gardens, and on the other more public amenities such as restaurant, pavillions, gardens, terraces and a central water park of pools and weirs. The water cascades down the roof and links with the water feature at the centre of the leisure complex. This iconic landscape will attract attention to the site, brand the location and help establish a dramatic back-drop to the lake and water-side retail facilities.

More at the link here: Snow Mountain, Texas: Indoor Skiing in Houston Swamplot: Houston’s Real Estate Landscape

Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,405,403 times
thank you Angel713
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or