Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD vs H-town
Houston 22 34.92%
San Diego 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
so what you hate L.A. now.
Perfect example of why I put him on ignore.
All he ever does is talk crap. Then when he's called out on it, he claims that he was only "defending" his home turf from LA attacks and points the finger elsewhere. Well? Where is LA attacking him now? I dont see anything here! The discussion has lately been about whether Houston was the more conservative city than San Diego. This discussion was also not an attack on conservatives.
Nothing but a troll and he is equated with the likes of futcha.

Last edited by wesside; 12-05-2008 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
so what you hate L.A. now.
Nothing personal there Urbanity, I only do it to draw out that troll wesside who gets called out for his hatred of every place not in California. He always bashes Houston and has never even been here. LA is alright

Old 12-05-2008, 11:35 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
Houston Pros- Its affordable.

Houston Negatives- everything else.
Um, okay. I guess you consider world-class culture, arts, restaurants, big trees, an international atmosphere and a good job market to be negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouston77386 View Post
San Diego Pros- Beautiful scenery, weather, water that is blue instead of brown (if your from Houston you just might think all water is brown)
Whatever. And there's no water in Houston, if it's the Gulf you're talking about.
And last time I visited San Diego, there was a swim warning because of pollution.

You said in another post you've lived in Houston all your life. Go live somewhere else, then get back to us. The grass is always greener somewhere else until you actually experience it, right?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Nothing personal there Urbanity, I only do it to draw out that troll wesside who gets called out for his hatred of every place not in California. He always bashes Houston and has never even been here. LA is alright
He's stated multiple times that he's lived in Houston before, I don't know why you keep ignoring that fact and keep claiming he's never been there.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
He's stated multiple times that he's lived in Houston before, I don't know why you keep ignoring that fact and keep claiming he's never been there.
The things he says about it show that he has not lived here. Only an ignorant and uninformed person would talk like that.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The things he says about it show that he has not lived here. Only an ignorant and uninformed person would talk like that.

Even though you don't do it anymore, you've ragged on San Diego pretty hard in the past and you've lived here. Some people just don't like certain places b/c it doesn't fit them or they just might have been unlucky and had a bad experiance, doesn't necessarily make them bad places overall, just to that individual.

Seeing as most people that have lived in Houston seem to have a good opinion of it, at least from what I gather on here, I think Houston seems like a perfectly fine city that just doesn't seem to get the respect it probably deserves.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
and you still have not provided a source for what you claim for that either. You have not provided any real evidence and still refuse to do so after I've repeatedly asked for proof. So your claim Houston went 70/30 for Obama holds no weight right now until you actually back it up.

If you can't back up what you claim you have no credibility in anything you claim.

Metro area is more relevant than city limits but you can continue to spin it however you want to pretend that Houston is somehow not conservative.
The only thing that states is that some of the suburban cities outside of Houston are conservative, not the City of Houston itself. So, if Galveston voted McCain, then that must mean that Houston is conservative right?

By the way, the 70-30 came from a Houston Chronicle article. It came out right after the election and was in the newspaper. I'm still trying to find the online edition. They had voted by precinct as well, but the links are broken on some.

Last edited by Trae713; 12-05-2008 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
The only thing that states is that some of the suburban cities outside of Houston are conservative, not the City of Houston itself. So, if Galveston voted McCain, then that must mean that Houston is conservative right?

By the way, the 70-30 came from a Houston Chronicle article. It came out right after the election and was in the newspaper. I'm still trying to find the online edition. They had voted by precinct as well, but the links are broken on some.
It shows county stats, not cities. And yes it does mean the Houston REGION is generally conservative. City limits are fairly irrelevant in the big picture of things since everything pretty much transcends politically drawn up imaginary lines. Get over the whole "city limits" argument b/c it doesn't make the region any less conservative overall and you're just using it to try to proclaim the areas isn't as conservative as the stats indicate it is.

San Diego has generally been considered a moderately conservative county and the fact that the city of San Diego is more liberal doesn't change that or make it not true.

and if you can't find that info then don't waste too much time doing it since it seems to be hard to find, I tried searching the Houston Chronicle and could not find it either. I wouldn't be surprised by that stat at all and believe it since someone showed me that Dallas County voted 75% for Kerry in 2004, which REALLY surprised me.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
It shows county stats, not cities. And yes it does mean the Houston REGION is generally conservative. City limits are fairly irrelevant in the big picture of things since everything pretty much transcends politically drawn up imaginary lines. Get over the whole "city limits" argument b/c it doesn't make the region any less conservative overall and you're just using it to try to proclaim the areas isn't as conservative as the stats indicate it is.
Okay, let's talk about the Houston region then. It has become far less conservative this election. Democrats won new seats across the region here (now the Houston Chronicle has this up), and Fort Bend County barely went McCain (just about four thousand votes). Texas as a whole went from something like 24 (or 26) points for Bush, to just 11% for McCain (Clinton, both times, lost Texas by less than 5%).

Quote:
and if you can't find that info then don't waste too much time doing it since it seems to be hard to find, I tried searching the Houston Chronicle and could not find it either. I wouldn't be surprised by that stat at all and believe it since someone showed me that Dallas County voted 75% for Kerry in 2004, which REALLY surprised me.
They probably meant the City of Dallas, since Dallas County went Bush last election.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Okay, let's talk about the Houston region then. It has become far less conservative this election. Democrats won new seats across the region here (now the Houston Chronicle has this up), and Fort Bend County barely went McCain (just about four thousand votes). Texas as a whole went from something like 24 (or 26) points for Bush, to just 11% for McCain (Clinton, both times, lost Texas by less than 5%).
It does seem cities in TX are heading towards being more liberal overall. San Diego County seems to be like that too, this was the first time a democrat has every won the majority vote in SD County. Clinton in 92 got a plurality but not a majority. So I think they are somewhat similar in their trends for becoming less conservative. But overall I do see Houston being more conservative.
Quote:
They probably meant the City of Dallas, since Dallas County went Bush last election.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times
Actually now I do not even know that is true even for the City. I looked at this past thread, Dallas, TX - more liberal than L.A.!, which is where I heard that 75% for Kerry claim but just saw some evidence elsewhere that said otherwise, that Kerry only won by only 57%.

anyways, this is a pretty interesting report that ranks the most conservative and liberal CITIES, which Houston was ranked higher on the list for conservative cities, #62, and #177for most liberal city out of 237 cities total. San Diego literally landed right in the middle of the most conservative and liberal cities ranking at 119 for both categories.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City