U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD vs H-town
Houston 22 34.92%
San Diego 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:53 PM

926 posts, read 2,760,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Exactly why I like L.A. I'd rather live in L.A. County (in the Westside of course) than boring as white bread cookie-cutter suburb San Diego. Their beaches are nowhere as famous as L.A. and Orange County's.

What was so good about La Jolla that people are ranting and raving? It feels as populated as a small town (like Santa Barbara) with blank store façades and bland people shopping and coming out of those stores with blank shopping bags. No wonder I didn't remember what were the names of those stores since they might have blended into the façade (like First Colony in Sugar Land). Orange County is much closer!

Aren't border towns usually backwards? I think of the Rio Grande Valley (the largest U.S. metro area on the Mexican border outside San Diego) when border town comes up. If anything said about Detroit is true, it could be the RGV's counterpart in the north.
I admit, I love West L.A., but what do they have that San Diegans can't experience? Its not that far away. I can get there in under 2 hours in good traffic conditions. If we want to go on game or talk shows, we can get tickets online for free just like them. All LA theme parks have the same discounts for San diegans as the LA metro. We are not out of the loop. We can go to UCLA and other public LA metro schools cuz they're all funded by the state. During major wildfires, we use LA metros resources and vice versa. If anything, ur bitter that you don't have access to all of these life pleasing luxuries

Old 08-06-2008, 03:54 PM

4,519 posts, read 8,610,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
haha, who cares about how "famous" our beaches are? They are still nicer, warmer, cleaner than those to the north of us. God some of you are so obsessed with "status", no wonder you like LA.
L.A. has cláss. Like Las Vegas, S.D doesn't.haha

Quote:
and that is exactly what some people like about it. Not everyone wants their coastline dotted with giant skyscrapers like Miami.
Notice I mentioned that the signs mixed into the façade. If you drove down SH-6 in Sugar Land, the wayside signs are all black with white letters and the facade signs are black on a light-colored background (or sometimes the reverse when dealing with bricks). No yellow 'm' on the McDonalds logo, just a black 'm' on the façade of the strip mall and a white 'm' on the wayside sign. Continue the color scheme for the other businesses (e.g. the K-mart logo on the façade but rendered in it's proper font in black, etc.) I don't know why the subdivision (or was it the city) made it colorblind 10-15 years ago but it's horrible.

La Jolla has that problem. I can't tell one street from another.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM

334 posts, read 1,163,096 times
Quote:
Ever heard of the Bellagio? The Ventitian? The Wynn?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:03 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,419,152 times
Quote:
tell that to Ron Burgundy.

Quote:
Notice I mentioned that the signs mixed into the façade. If you drove down SH-6 in Sugar Land, the wayside signs are all black with white letters and the facade signs are black on a light-colored background (or sometimes the reverse when dealing with bricks). No yellow 'm' on the McDonalds logo, just a black 'm' on the façade of the strip mall and a white 'm' on the wayside sign. Continue the color scheme for the other businesses (e.g. the K-mart logo on the façade but rendered in it's proper font in black, etc.) I don't know why the subdivision (or was it the city) made it colorblind 10-15 years ago but it's horrible.

I don't really get what you're talking about here. Are you talking about street signs? Storefront signs? Are you saying all the signs are in black letter or something? if you have a pic of what you're talking about that would help..

Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Just for the fact that you put down La Jolla but praise LA makes
me wonder about were your mind is. Sav is absolutely right, you are obsessed with status rather then reality. If that's the case, why do u live in Houston and not LA? Too poor? Don't worry, thais why the rest of Californias lowest common denomenator humans are all flocking to Houston too. Enjoy our worst

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,069,183 times
SouthCali4Life-have you been to Houston for more than a few hours?
Not voting because I have never been to San Diego and it would be inaccurate for me to opinionate based on internet info.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM

the funny thing is, I know where more then half of the Houston votes came from: subLime, kerrtown, jluke, sweetclimber... LOL thats 4/6.i can speculate on the other 2 but not enough evidence yet...

Old 08-06-2008, 04:22 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,820,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
the funny thing is, I know where more then half of the Houston votes came from: subLime, kerrtown, jluke, sweetclimber... LOL thats 4/6.i can speculate on the other 2 but not enough evidence yet...
Were not allowed to vote for the city we want??? How is that funny? O_o

Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
SouthCali4Life-have you been to Houston for more than a few hours?
Not voting because I have never been to San Diego and it would be inaccurate for me to opinionate based on internet info.
cubssoxfan, no, the closest I've ever been to Houston was when I was in Atlanta or St. Louis, whichever is closer to it. But statistics are just as accurate as the real thing. I have a very perceptual mindset, I've seen videos and photos of Houston. Stats on the city etc... The only thing Houston has for it is job growth and a modest cost of living, agreed? Like sav said, I work to play, not live to work.

Look, I have a good depth perception of Houston: Houston has 5.5 million people in its metro, 3.5 million of which are within fair distance of the city proctor. Houston is flat, humid, filled with oil companies and a huge Texas medical center and NASA. Houston has two very nice stadiums, both but within this millennium. Houston has a modern downtown with a number of skyscrapers topping or near 1,000 feet, yet, downtown seems a little dead for what it is. Inside the loop is densifying, but still surburban in appearance. Outside the loop has massive suburb communities, most notably, the woodlands. Houston is 600 square miles and has a population of 2.2 million. It is currently one of the fastest growing regions. Houston probably named after Sam Houston. Houston also has a huge port on a bay over 30 minutes away from the city center. Houston is a gamma world city, 2nd in fortune 500 companies and broadway plays only to NYC. Houston also has lots of fancy restaurants, whooptie dooo. The city of Houston is very sprawled with poor public transportation and a mass interconnecting freeway system. Galveston sits on a natural barrier that protects the Houston area somewhat from possible storm surges. The city hardly has white people, like 1 in 3 is white....

I can go on but the point is, I don't have to be there to know what's up. My presence there would only improve the region

P.s... Excuse my typos, I'm using an iPhone, a California product

Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Were not allowed to vote for the city we want??? How is that funny? O_o
its all about the skewing of the results. I majored in business marketing and I know that when I know 4 of the 6 people who voted for Houston BY default, then the results are meaningless, but in the end, it doesn't matter anyway cuz San Diego still over 70% of the vote

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 08-06-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or