Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SD vs H-town
Houston 22 34.92%
San Diego 41 65.08%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times

Advertisements

I'm a San Diego native, and I love it here. I'm not going to disrespect Houston though, I've never even been there so it would be unfair of me to comment. What I feel I can say confidently though is each city has their pro's and con's, and just because San Diego works for me doesn't mean it would work better for someone else. So it's a matter of opinion, no one can say for sure.

I voted for San Diego because I think it's a great place to live and raise a family, but I'm sure Houston has some great qualities too.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I'm a San Diego native, and I love it here. I'm not going to disrespect Houston though, I've never even been there so it would be unfair of me to comment. What I feel I can say confidently though is each city has their pro's and con's, and just because San Diego works for me doesn't mean it would work better for someone else. So it's a matter of opinion, no one can say for sure.

I voted for San Diego because I think it's a great place to live and raise a family, but I'm sure Houston has some great qualities too.
I treat San Diego like Galveston, a great day trip to swim on the beach but not as a place to live. It's more like "Finish what ever I need to do and then go straight home quickly!"

Old 08-08-2008, 12:28 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
San Diego Zoo is only famous because Jack Hanna got a television show.

Sea World has emotion? It's a chain. I can go to the San Antonio location much more easily. (It's also a much better city to boot with a value-added historical angle.)

Now the San Jacinto Monument evokes emotion. People actually died there for their beliefs. Enough to take off your hat and put it on your heart (even though they don't prohibit wearing hats in there like in the Alamo).

Houston is undoubtedly a major city (The GaWC lists it a high Gamma city. San Diego is nowhere to be found--must be L.A.'s size overshadowing it again.) It also has better museums hands down. Have you ever heard of the Anglican Use? When most people think of Southern California (or even California), the first place that comes to mind (automatically) is L.A. San Diego is just an afterthought.

San Diego has emotion? L.A. is vibrant (especially the Westside) with its diversity, it's role in the arts and culture, high population, etc. This is why L.A. is THE city of the West. SD is staid.
SD is the best Zoo in the country, that is why it's famous.

San Antonio a much better city?? haha. PLEASE DO a San Antonio vs. San Diego poll cause I would love to see the results. SD gets WAY more tourists than SA.

Better museums, who cares? How often do people even go to museums? And if that's one of the few things to do in a city that is pretty sad.

Do you realize that San Diegan's don't give a rat's a*s about be a alpha, gamma, beta, zeta, theta, or whatever world city. We are not jealous of LA one bit and could care less about it's prominence. You don't get San Diego doesn't care LA is bigger, we know it is and we know we will never be it's size b/c we would never want to be. San Diego does not want to be anything like LA. Go reread this thread and you will see even the LA posters telling you than there is NO RIVALRY between the two cities at all and SD is not jealous of LA and all their problems. You keep trying to make this some LA vs SD argument b/c you've already lost the Houston vs SD one. Please do a SD vs LA poll too b/c I wouldn't mind seeing the outcome of that as well. If anything the two cities complement each other. LA comes down to SD to get away from the craziness and to relax. SD goes up to LA for its sites, cultural amenities, and all the big city stuff we don't have here. I love having LA so close yet far enough away.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 AM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
Quote:
San Diego Zoo is only famous because Jack Hanna got a television show.

Sea World has emotion? It's a chain. I can go to the San Antonio location much more easily. (It's also a much better city to boot with a value-added historical angle.)

Now the San Jacinto Monument evokes emotion. People actually died there for their beliefs. Enough to take off your hat and put it on your heart (even though they don't prohibit wearing hats in there like in the Alamo).

Houston is undoubtedly a major city (The GaWC lists it a high Gamma city. San Diego is nowhere to be found--must be L.A.'s size overshadowing it again.) It also has better museums hands down. Have you ever heard of the Anglican Use? When most people think of Southern California (or even California), the first place that comes to mind (automatically) is L.A. San Diego is just an afterthought.

San Diego has emotion? L.A. is vibrant (especially the Westside) with its diversity, it's role in the arts and culture, high population, etc. This is why L.A. is THE city of the West. SD is staid.
The San Diego sea world is better and its right next to an authentic ocean with authentic beach and surf culture. All this with world class weather too. San Diego in the shadow of LA? Wow ur a genious. Guess what though? Most of LA's tourists go to SD and vice versa. LA gets about 40 million annual visitors, SD gets about 30 million.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I treat San Diego like Galveston, a great day trip to swim on the beach but not as a place to live. It's more like "Finish what ever I need to do and then go straight home quickly!"
Congratulations, you're one of the 'lucky' few to feel that way about San Diego.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SD is the best Zoo in the country, that is why it's famous.
I hear more about the Central Park Zoo (or some other NYC borough zoo) than your zoo. San Diego's claim to fame is Jack Hanna who changed it.

Quote:
San Antonio a much better city?? haha. PLEASE DO a San Antonio vs. San Diego poll cause I would love to see the results. SD gets WAY more tourists than SA.
How about I do a Las Vegas vs. San Diego poll and watch SD get blown away by the wind.

Quote:
Better museums, who cares? How often do people even go to museums? And if that's one of the few things to do in a city that is pretty sad.
Who the heck wants to go to the zoo? I don't want to smell animal poop, etc. The museum I was thinking of is the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. You don't value art, an integral part of culture and humanity?

Quote:
Do you realize that San Diegan's don't give a rat's a*s about be a alpha, gamma, beta, zeta, theta, or whatever world city. We are not jealous of LA one bit and could care less about it's prominence. You don't get San Diego doesn't care LA is bigger, we know it is and we know we will never be it's size b/c we would never want to be. San Diego does not want to be anything like LA. Go reread this thread and you will see even the LA posters telling you than there is NO RIVALRY between the two cities at all and SD is not jealous of LA and all their problems. You keep trying to make this some LA vs SD argument b/c you've already lost the Houston vs SD one. Please do a SD vs LA poll too b/c I wouldn't mind seeing the outcome of that as well. If anything the two cities complement each other. LA comes down to SD to get away from the craziness and to relax. SD goes up to LA for its sites, cultural amenities, and all the big city stuff we don't have here. I love having LA so close yet far enough away.
Again denial, denial, denial!!! Funny people act differently in public than in private. I can only imagine what goes on when people aren't looking. Of course when Texas gets bashed, Dallasites, Houstonians, San Antonians, and Austinites come together. But we don't deny that there is a rivalry amongst ourselves--nobody seems to know about it anyway. (Dallas doesn't like Houston; SA, Austin, Houston (Southern Texas) doesn't like DFW (North Texas); Fort Worth doesn't like Dallas; San Antonio is a bit jealous of the sudden interest in Austin)

I saw this map and noticed that the L.A. radius was so big that it swallowed up San Diego's position on the map. GAWC World Cities Ranking List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
The San Diego sea world is better and its right next to an authentic ocean with authentic beach and surf culture. All this with world class weather too. San Diego in the shadow of LA? Wow ur a genious. Guess what though? Most of LA's tourists go to SD and vice versa. LA gets about 40 million annual visitors, SD gets about 30 million.
Really, how come Hollywood hasn't shared that fact? You already said that Angeleno's and Diegans are friends. Orange County has become well-known recently. Besides Santa Monica, it has the beaches and the surf that people think of.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I hear more about the Central Park Zoo (or some other NYC borough zoo) than your zoo. San Diego's claim to fame is Jack Hanna who changed it.

How about I do a Las Vegas vs. San Diego poll and watch SD get blown away by the wind.

Who the heck wants to go to the zoo? I don't want to smell animal poop, etc. The museum I was thinking of is the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. You don't value art, an integral part of culture and humanity?

Again denial, denial, denial!!! Funny people act differently in public than in private. I can only imagine what goes on when people aren't looking. Of course when Texas gets bashed, Dallasites, Houstonians, San Antonians, and Austinites come together. But we don't deny that there is a rivalry amongst ourselves--nobody seems to know about it anyway. (Dallas doesn't like Houston; SA, Austin, Houston (Southern Texas) doesn't like DFW (North Texas); Fort Worth doesn't like Dallas; San Antonio is a bit jealous of the sudden interest in Austin)

I saw this map and noticed that the L.A. radius was so big that it swallowed up San Diego's position on the map. GAWC World Cities Ranking List

Really, how come Hollywood hasn't shared that fact? You already said that Angeleno's and Diegans are friends. Orange County has become well-known recently. Besides Santa Monica, it has the beaches and the surf that people think of.
What's with you and the world city boner fest? Just because Houston made the list? Well so did Tijuana and Detroit and I don't hear anyone raving about all the excitement those cities offer its citizens or its tourists. I bet you probably have a world city map posted on your livingroom wall and probably as a bumper sticker too so you can show off to the world that your city is important. By the way, that 'other' borough zoo that you know of 'more' then the SD zoo is called the Bronx zoo and yes, its a nice zoo too. Btw, people don't go to the SD zoo just foe the animals, but also for its stunningly beautiful and amazing natural setting. Why would Hollywood report anything on San Diego? They don't even report anything on themselves. What's with u and LA beaches? Yeah, duh, thyre more popular cuz they're located in the worlds most marketed city. I majored in marketing. The best products aren't always the most popular products. The most marketed products, even if poor in quality, are the most popular products. I surf, San Diego beaches win in every category vs. LA beaches, popular opinion agrees. Orange County beaches r nice too, but I still prefer SD cuz there's more to choose from

Old 08-08-2008, 01:22 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Zoos - Top Ten in the USA -- Americas Best Online

And I forgot about the Wild Animal Park as well.

Quote:
Okay, what the hell does Vegas have to do with anything? So b/c you know SA will lose badly to SD, like Houston did in this poll, you try to bring some RANDOM city into the equation. HAHA, that is so pathetic. Why don't you just do a SA vs. SD poll since you were claiming it's a better city? And actually do a Vegas vs. SD poll b/c I would like to see that one too.

Quote:
I dunno, I don't even go to either. I haven't even been to the Zoo since I moved here. I never even mention it as something that makes SD great.

Quote:

I am really glad Hollywood has left us alone, I seriously would not want shows like "The Hills" or "Laguna Beach/Newport Harbor", "Real Housewives" or whatever crap reality show that gives a false representation of LA and OC to be in San Diego. We don't need or want to be famous, some of you Houstonites sure strive for some artificial status don't you?

You have no damn clue what the hell you are talking about. There is no rivalry btwn us and LA. We don't want to be like LA at all, do you actually have ANY PROOF of this so called rivalry?

Here's some quotes from people who live in LA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
San Diego has no inferiority complex against Los Angeles. Believe me on this. I live in LA and the general consensus about San Diego is that it's a cleaner vacation city. The living conditions are much better. Rivalry is nonexistent. It's not like Chicago vs. Milwaukee.

Secondly, most people who live in California and whose opinions matter in the state are insanely wealthy folk who chose their estate location for whatever personal whim it fulfilled. Trust me when I say, your perceived notion of rivalry between any city in CA other than LA and SF is disregarded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What you say is true about LA & San Diego [generally people outside California try to stir-up resentments between the 2 cities that aren't there. Go into any sports club\bar in LA & the patrons are rooting for the Chargers [since Los Angeles has no pro-football . The big rivals are the Dodgers & San Francisco Giants. San Diego is easily accessible by train [a wonderful way to travel btw] from Union station [that stops at Anaheim stadium].
The only city to city rivalry that exists in Ca is SF and LA. Just b/c you Texans have a bunch of rivalries btwn each other doesn't mean Californians do the same thing.

OMG your "GAWC world rankings" ooooh, I am so impressed!! I don't care. Some of you in Houston are so damn pathetic with your inferiority complex to cities like LA, NYC, and Chicago and your obession with status. You try SO HARD to be like them, SD ain't trying to be like anything b/c we like what he have. SD could care less about status b/c what we have works for us. We have climate and scenery and you can't take that away or replicate it elsewhere either . We have NATURAL amenities not MAN MADE amenities. The climate and scenery would still be spectacular if nothing existed here. Houston would be a hot, humid, swamp if the city wasn't there.

Last edited by sav858; 08-08-2008 at 01:33 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 07:20 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
The Houstonians on this thread need to chill. You need to learn to take constructive criticism and stop boosting at every chance you get. You also do not need to put down other cities just to highlight the positives about yours. That basically is going out to one person.

It is well known that Houston is not a great city to visit but a great city to live. There isn't much you can do in Houston as of right now for entertainment. That is changing with the new Pavilions and more entertainment districts being built around the city especially inside the loop. But as of now, Houston doesn't have much at all that makes people think I could come back to visit this. Right now, the same amenities you have in Houston, you can easily do so in other coastal cities (YES, Houston is a coastal city because parts of its suburbs are on the Gulf).

Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
And please remember that a few of the SoCal people commenting have said they've never even set foot in Houston and/or Texas. So... it's kind of hard to take them seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City