U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best light rail system?
San Diego, California 20 8.89%
San Francisco, California 41 18.22%
Baltimore, Maryland 16 7.11%
Boston, Massachusetts 51 22.67%
Austin, Texas 2 0.89%
Denver, Colorado 24 10.67%
Dallas, Texas 29 12.89%
Houston, Texas 13 5.78%
Buffalo, New York 3 1.33%
Portland, Oregon 51 22.67%
St. Louis, Missouri 20 8.89%
Salt Lake City, Utah 10 4.44%
New Orleans, Louisiana 3 1.33%
Los Angeles, California 24 10.67%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 15 6.67%
Sacramento, California 8 3.56%
Other 16 7.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:48 AM

5,384 posts, read 7,727,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
If that's the case than Charlotte needs to be on this list...
I agree! Many cities with good systems were misses. Charlotte's looks pretty good. Austin doesn't even have lightrail, so why is it on the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 AM

64 posts, read 127,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90210 Beverly Hills View Post
why are people voting for San diegos light rail it dosent do anything really it doseont take commuters were they need to go anyway its as lame as Houstons light rail. The only places it goes to thats specail is downtown petco park baseball stadium and qualcomm stadium were the chargers are at and thats pretty much it nobady even uses the trolly in san diego it only gets utilized during special events.
I bet you're from Denver right

Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And learn some grammar, punctuation, and spelling for christs sakes. I can barely decipher this gibberish.
Hm
Quote:
I can barely decipher this gibberish.
LOL
Quote:
good god, I am transportation planner for christs sake.
Hm, interesting
Quote:
no worries, I get a little condescending and hostile sometimes. need to work on that one.........
LOL
Quote:
good god, I am transportation planner
So this is what you do.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Yeah its somewhat of a random trolley system, but it does
go to the border, through downtown, and also through sdsu and all the ghetto areas where hardly anyone can afford a car, so it kind of means something for those people. Daily ridership has surpassed 125,000 and is quickly approaching 150,000. San diegos coaster and sprinter fast rail systems are doing well. I just wish the coaster had more stops and a more persistent service. Many people don't realize that it is possible to live almost anywhere in urban San diego county without a car
This guy...
Quote:
^^ most of the stuff you said is heavenly exzageratted ive use to commute on SD rail during weekdays to oldtown and it is very vacant at least L.A. has diffrent modes of transportation e.g. subway, elavated rail, lite rail SD gots nuttin in that department. ill also like to add that there was a artical about SDs rail and it said that people hardly used it yeah sure u got them people from mission valley but once agin u made up this material because not even people from mission valley ride so jokes on U
...and this guy both sound the same with their 12 year old grammar. LOL
Quote:
What exactly is exaggerated? If you are going to make that claim then prove it somehow. The only mode LA has that SD doesn't is heavy rail, they both have light rail and commuter rail. "Elevated rail" is not a mode either genius.

what article? I've read many articles that talk about LA's public transit being a joke, even in the LA Times.
What the hell are you even talking about? What did I make up?

And learn some grammar, punctuation, and spelling for christs sakes. I can barely decipher this gibberish.
Quote:
^^ Sav8 Elevated rail is a mode of transportation and you wouldnt know because U live in san diego chicago also has elevated rail and fyi i was tried last nite hence my typos and we have a subway something SD will never have
Quote:
sav858 also it was all over the news one day on channel 6 fox back in febuaray or january that SD rail was i complete failure and that more cars continue to pile up down there here in LA we hate SD because it allways thinks its high and mighty even though its a slopy excuse for a city. ignore my typos on a i- phone
Quote:
good god, I am transportation planner for christs sake. Yeah I was tired, a bottle of wine deep, and just took a bong load too but I could still type and make sense. What's your excuse right now for having such crappy grammar and punctuation?

modes of rail:

Heavy rail (examples: Chicago, NYC, DC's Metro, SF's BART, LA's RED/PURPLE Lines)
Light Rail (examples: SD trolley, LA's Gold, Green, and Blue Lines, SF's Muni Metro)
Commuter Rail (examples: SF's Caltrain, LA's Metrolink,SD's Coaster, Chicago's Metra)

here I'll even give you a link to educate yourself: APTA: Rail Definitions

Chicago's EL also goes underground into a subway.

BART is a subway in SF and Oakland but above ground and elevated everywhere else.

Light rail can either be elevated, at grade, or below ground. Heavy rail can be elevated, below ground in a subway, or grade separated.

Please LOOK UP information and facts before you pretend to know what you're talking about.
Quote:
^^ my mistake sorry for getting so hostile
Quote:
no worries, I get a little condescending and hostile sometimes. need to work on that one.........
LOL this 902BeverlyHills guy is lying through his teeth, the iPhone autocorrects spelling mistakes, he's not on an iPhone with such poor grammar like that. Then factor how little he knows about San Diego, heavy rails, light rails, and even his own backyard in LA, I think its worth noting this site may have more 12 year olds than we think.

The conversation exchange in dark highlights tho was just hilarious. LOL thanks for the laugh

Old 08-03-2012, 05:17 AM

64 posts, read 127,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
This guy...

...and this guy both sound the same with their 12 year old grammar. LOL

LOL this 902BeverlyHills guy is lying through his teeth, the iPhone autocorrects spelling mistakes, he's not on an iPhone with such poor grammar like that. Then factor how little he knows about San Diego, heavy rails, light rails, and even his own backyard in LA, I think its worth noting this site may have more 12 year olds than we think.

The conversation exchange in dark highlights tho was just hilarious. LOL thanks for the laugh
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Denverite

Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM

373 posts, read 246,369 times
Boston and it is not even close IMO. I am from Florida.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,392,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
One thing about Houston's I don't like is that it is only 7 miles, but the system is so clean and well kept, I think it makes up for the lack of extensiveness.
There are three times that more miles in the ground right now.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM

18,270 posts, read 26,068,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Dallas is strange to me. It is going through a rapid expansion most cities would be envious of, one of the largest cities in the country, rapid growth and urban development (actually good TOD), but the ridership is a joke. I was surprised to find out that Dallas has ridership closer to St. Louis and Denver, which are half it's size. What's the deal?
The reason is because Dallas thought it could build their system like DC. Dallas plopped their stations in the middle of nowhere and hoped to build TOD's around them. Dallas was also one of the cities back in the 70s that tried to get Heavy Rail. They didn't get the funds but the plans on where the lines were going to be is similar to what it is now. In other words, it was destined to have low ridership because it is a low dense sprawling city and the stations are built away from the people. I don't know if they feed buses to these lines like DC does but it is a hybrid urban-commuter rail system. That's why it annoys me when people compare the Houston system with the Dallas system. Houston system is a glorified trolley or tram. They are not the same type of system.

The problem with Dallas is that it doesn't have the density to do what DC did. Dallas put their system away from the people. DC put their stations outside of DC where the people would eventually be going. That and DART's leadership leaves much to be desired.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:43 PM

18,270 posts, read 26,068,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
highly doubt it. I predict maybe a 5K increase.
I think it will and I predict 25k. I think it will be the most used line in the system once it's built out. The people in Irving are exstatic for this line as well as the DFW airport once it gets there in 2014.

Quote:
Yes DART has the most light rail miles but its a waste. what is the use of having a 28 mile line that takes an hour and a half to traverse and carry so few people. The Green Line is 28 miles long but it only brought Ridership to where DART was two years before
See my previous comment about how DART built its system. I think the Orange Line is the only line where they built the stations where the people are. I have said that the Orange Line will be the most successful and important line in DART's history.

The reason why DART has puny ridership numbers is because it's still easier and far cheaper to drive to their destination be it downtown or whatever than rail. If Dallas increased parking rates and made it harder to park their cars throughout the city's main arteries, I bet you will see an increase.

Now the bus system. That's anemic. Don't understand that at all.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,392,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it will and I predict 25k. I think it will be the most used line in the system once it's built out. The people in Irving are exstatic for this line as well as the DFW airport once it gets there in 2014.
Okay, we will see. And I don't mean an ethereal increase by everyone riding the rail the first few weeks because it is new and then the ridership drops. When he green line first opened ridership went back up to what it was in 2008 then it went back down a couple of months later. If I am not mistaken, DARTs ridership is down to 67K now.

After the dust settles I expect DART to be around 72K next summer.

Quote:
See my previous comment about how DART built its system. I think the Orange Line is the only line where they built the stations where the people are. I have said that the Orange Line will be the most successful and important line in DART's history.
It will probably be, but I think they have been overestimating the increase. The lines are so long that each line needs some super-ridership numbers to give it average ridership numbers like say that of Portland. When the Orange line opens DART is going to need about 250,000K daily boardings just to make it to Portland's ridership. The Orange Line isn't going to be a game changer. Dallas as a city would have to change to change the history of DART. DART is built as a regional system, and nothing short of building the entire member city area into high density areas will cause DART to have anything more than about 1000 riders per mile. I am glad that Houston feeds its system with BRTs (and Commuter rails in the future) than having light rails go cross country and serve as the commuter system in addition to the urban system.

The Original Plans for DART seemed to be very successful. LA has a lot of miles of Lightrail, but they have multiple lines running shorter routes to a lot denser areas. Because DART likes are so long, the area needs millions more people to match that.

Quote:
The reason why DART has puny ridership numbers is because it's still easier and far cheaper to drive to their destination be it downtown or whatever than rail. If Dallas increased parking rates and made it harder to park their cars throughout the city's main arteries, I bet you will see an increase.

Now the bus system. That's anemic. Don't understand that at all.
I agree. But think of it, DART doesn't run just in Dallas. All member cities would have to agree to do that, and I just don't see people doing that. Remember the areas where jobs are booming in DFW is NOT in Dallas. If you make Dallas less business friendly that would just add more nails to Dallas's coffin and make it even less prominent in the metroplex. Irving, Mesquite, Denton, Plano, Fort Worth, etc etc are the areas where I see the Jobs booming and just happens to be the areas poorly served (or not served at all by DART). Sounds to me like Dallas is getting Midwest Syndrome- having a more urban environment at the cost of its job market( and naturally its residents too).

I dunno, maybe it will all work out in a hundred years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or