U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 PM

394 posts, read 1,339,196 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I have read the Chicago (READ THESE) and the ones for Denver as well. I currently reside in Key West, and would like to move to start an education.

I am just interested to see what you think about both of these places. I have been to Denver two times, and loved the location near the mountains, the winters can be bad, just like Chicago. I will miss the mountains, but like being closer to my hometown of Fort Wayne, IN. But I am also concerned about living there, due to the crime that you so well put into your own posts...

I know, it's a big city. I am not naive, but after reading all of that I would be an idiot if I said I wasn't feeling a bit apprehensive, like I am kinda a night owl. I also like the freedom to go out and do things. I guess if you know about Fort Wayne, than you know that...well, it's not even CLOSE to comparable!

I want to start school there, and will be using tuition assistance and then later the GI Bill. But I am having a hard time figuring out the neighborhood issues, and well, the other issue I have is I am paying on a truck. I would like to be able to drive, and also use public transportation.

I am a tour guide down here for a ghost tour, and did research and found out you have several in Chicago, only a few in Denver...

Which one do you recommend over the two cities. Both have crime and are larger cities with traffic, snow, etc. Just wanted your personal opinions...Let it go!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,380,796 times
This has been done before. Please search the forum. We do not need any more stupid "my city is better than yours" threads here.

No offense. It just seems like these threads end up being people bashing each others cities for no reason.

Thank you.

I by no means think you are a troll or looking to start trouble.

I suppose if someone else wants to put their two cents in of course they can. I am too drained to.

Chicago or Denver??

How long does it take to get used to Chicago?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-06-2008 at 09:56 PM..

Old 08-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Default oops...

No, I never meant it to be a bashing session, just someone who lived in both places, and their opinions...

Sowwy!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM

Read the other forum...very helpful. Wow, some serious outdoor advocates out there! Thanks again Avengerfire! You can close this one if you want...

Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,380,796 times
I have no power to close. Only the mods do.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,302,605 times
Instead of being lazy why don't you all answer the question. I have lived in Chicago for a long long time and its a great city, an Alpha City. I have been to Denver once so naturally I am going to like Chicago more. I think Chicago has tons to do anytime of year. The downside is Chicago is very expensive and depending on your budget that may or may not be an issue, maybe you can consider the suburbs as well. Denver has mountain views and lots of skiing and such in the winter, Chicago doesn't. The winters are brutal in either place so throw decision maker out the window. I personally would take Chicago just because theres so much culture, history, and just fun things to do. The bad side of Chicago is: the traffic is a nightmare, the winters, housing is high priced, and crime is high. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Instead of being lazy why don't you all answer the question.
Because the question has already been answered and the OP appears to be satisfied with the answers that were already given. For the most active among us on this forum, rehashing topics we've already covered got old a long time ago. That's why we don't do it any more if we don't have to.

Meanwhile, a lot of us have spent a sh*t-ton of time and energy answering countless questions for people every single day. You've got a hell of a nerve coming in here as a newcomer and telling people with hundreds, sometimes thousands of posts -- a good portion of which were aimed at helping people in this forum -- that we're lazy. If the considerable time we've already put in isn't good enough for you, then you can get stuffed for all I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.