U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city do you like better?
San Diego 91 45.27%
Los Angeles 110 54.73%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM
 
1,687 posts, read 982,140 times
Reputation: 327

Advertisements

A lot if people leave la/NYC because they're price out.
Why do you think the inland empire is so large?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM
 
62 posts, read 48,011 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
A lot if people leave la/NYC because they're price out.
Why do you think the inland empire is so large?
San Diego is actually a bit more expensive than LA overall, but it's net domestic loss is not so drastic. I believe it actually gained in 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 982,140 times
Reputation: 327
It also has far less people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 12:55 PM
 
62 posts, read 48,011 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
It also has far less people.
And the sun isn't visible during the night.

That's why we tend to look at things from a percentage perspective. If raw numbers are your thing, Los Angeles has a worse crime problem than Detroit, by some distance as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 PM
 
1,687 posts, read 982,140 times
Reputation: 327
As does nyc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 01:20 PM
 
62 posts, read 48,011 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
As does nyc..
Ok, hence proving that the raw numbers comparison there is bogus. I don't know why you keep bringing NYC into this as if that somehow makes LA's problems better. Are you trying to appeal to NYC posters to help you out in the debate or something?

NYC and East Coast cities work and attract people in extremely different ways than cities back in California or the West Coast. I love our cities back east, but I usually try not to get involved in east/west debates too much because the two just has such drastic differences in taste and amenities. If the US was historically more significant, they would probably be different countries. But a lot of the qualities that appeals to people in the west are similar, especially in this SD vs LA comparison. Apart from obvious things like film industry or career opportunities, many of the things that make LA desirable to people are also part of San Diego's attractions. But on the other hand, bunch of the things that make it undesirable are also not or is better in SD. I believe that's the point most of us trying to make here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 02:40 PM
 
Location: In the heights
21,928 posts, read 23,494,618 times
Reputation: 11524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy_Eggo View Post
Ok, hence proving that the raw numbers comparison there is bogus. I don't know why you keep bringing NYC into this as if that somehow makes LA's problems better. Are you trying to appeal to NYC posters to help you out in the debate or something?

NYC and East Coast cities work and attract people in extremely different ways than cities back in California or the West Coast. I love our cities back east, but I usually try not to get involved in east/west debates too much because the two just has such drastic differences in taste and amenities. If the US was historically more significant, they would probably be different countries. But a lot of the qualities that appeals to people in the west are similar, especially in this SD vs LA comparison. Apart from obvious things like film industry or career opportunities, many of the things that make LA desirable to people are also part of San Diego's attractions. But on the other hand, bunch of the things that make it undesirable are also not or is better in SD. I believe that's the point most of us trying to make here.
A lot of what makes LA attractive is also simply not present or much less so in SD. What happens then is this poll--what do you prefer? If I were to pick one to relocate to, it would easily be LA for me. Each place has its own advantages, but those have weight based on personal contexts. There is a very large difference between the two places even though they are geographically close. One is a massive cosmopolitan city while the other is very much less so and that's neither good nor bad on any objective overall outlook. There's a good bit of scale going on and how that changes thing. For coastal southern California and what it often represents to people outside it, I think there is a good choice of the LA metro, the SD metro and Santa Barbara which all offer fairly similar climates and natural settings but in very different social and economic contexts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 PM
 
5,835 posts, read 10,746,849 times
Reputation: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it's not; Parts of Orange County, San Bernardino, and Riverside are easily just as conservative, if not more, as anything in SD County.
Does Orange County or the Inland Empire have this?:

Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview | Creation Museum

Santee is widely known as a fundamentalist/evangelical hotbed. The only other place in the country that has anything like this is in KENTUCKY.

Also, San Diego County has many times more military bases than the OC and IE combined, which is going to lead to way more people who think the US military can do no wrong, and think that the wars led under Bush were completely justified.

OC and IE are more largely fiscally conservative. family oriented, with maybe a higher % of churchgoers than LA County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 04:37 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,422 posts, read 25,314,196 times
Reputation: 8857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Does Orange County or the Inland Empire have this?:

Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview | Creation Museum

Santee is widely known as a fundamentalist/evangelical hotbed. The only other place in the country that has anything like this is in KENTUCKY.

Also, San Diego County has many times more military bases than the OC and IE combined, which is going to lead to way more people who think the US military can do no wrong, and think that the wars led under Bush were completely justified.

OC and IE are more largely fiscally conservative. family oriented, with maybe a higher % of churchgoers than LA County.
Ok, so a Creationist Museum in Santee means the SD region is more conservative?

https://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman...081205libs.pdf

Look at the Top 25 most conservative cities in the US and note where the Ca cities are located.

There are more registered Democrats than Republicans in SD while that is not the case in Riverside or Orange Counties. OC has the biggest spread between registered Republicans compared to Democrats in all of Southern CA, +10% more Republicans.

SD is fiscally conservative and socially moderate/liberal. In 2008 OC, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties all had higher percentages of people that voted for Prop 8. The IE had VERY high percentages, so lets not pretend they are social liberal at all. The prop that was on the ballot back in 2010 to legalize marijuana, Prop 19, SD also had the highest % of people to vote for it out of these 4 counties as well.

Last edited by sav858; 03-21-2016 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,931 posts, read 7,552,563 times
Reputation: 9247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Does Orange County or the Inland Empire have this?:

Creation Museum - Creation, Evolution, Science, Dinosaurs, Family, Christian Worldview | Creation Museum

Santee is widely known as a fundamentalist/evangelical hotbed. The only other place in the country that has anything like this is in KENTUCKY.
Far better than that silly pile of crap is that we are the home of the Unarians and Uriel, (God rest her soul). The spaceship landing pad is just outside of El Cajon. Even L.A. doesn't have that feather in its cap.

http://youtu.be/2Jdnvlrszds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top