U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Cleveland?
Pittsburgh 162 63.53%
Cleveland 93 36.47%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:34 PM

56 posts, read 156,489 times

Advertisements

No contest Cleveland all the way. Pittsburgh has a huge lack of diversity, and people talk funny. Cleveland has many affluent suburbs where as Pitt falls stagnant. Pitt may have more buildings and a stronger economy but Cleveland has the culture and class. No contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,439,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlicb View Post
No contest Cleveland all the way. Pittsburgh has a huge lack of diversity, and people talk funny. Cleveland has many affluent suburbs where as Pitt falls stagnant. Pitt may have more buildings and a stronger economy but Cleveland has the culture and class. No contest.
It's moronic statements like this that earn you disrespect in this forum. To say that there is no contest testifies that you are too biased to make an informed decision.
(1) Huge lack of diversity. I'm not sure where you got this one. Your reasoning seems to be this: since Pittsburgh has a lower percentage of blacks than Cleveland Pittsburgh is therefore lacking in diversity. Pittsburgh has 20% German, 16% Italian, 12% Irish in the metro, with 27% Black and nearly 3% Asian in the city proper. The city also has large percentages of Polish and English with the fifth largest Ukranian community in the country, and some of the largest Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian and Slovak populations.
(2) They Talk Funny. In case you haven't figured this out, everyone has an accent. BTW, I've never heard of anyone detract from NYC because they think the Brooklyn accent is annoying.
(3) Cleveland's Many Affluent Suburbs. What world do you live in? Ever hear of Sewickley? Sewickley Heights? Fox Chapel? Ben Avon? Mt. Lebanon? Franklin Park? Cranberry? Bradford Woods? North Park? Never hear of any of these very wealthy suburban areas? In fact, Sewickley Heights used to be the richest area in the country, long ago.
Additionally, Allegheny West was called Millionaires Row because it was one of the nations wealthiest neighborhoods at one time. Other city neighborhoods like Shadyside and North Oakland are extremely affluent.
BTW, who really cares?
(4) Culture and Class. Again, you must not be aware that Pittsburgh is head and shoulders above Cleveland in higher education...I'm sure you can't find any culture or class there!

If you ask me, Cleveland especially loses out because it's architecture is incomparible to Pittsburgh's. Pittsburgh has everything from modern gothic glass skyscrapers to old solid brownstone townhouses and banks to industrialists' manisions to a core filled with quiant old row houses to houses erected before Cleveland was even founded! Walking through some of Pittsburgh's narrow row-house-lined streets reminds me of strolling through Europe. Pittsburgh has fantastic structural density.

Need I state the humor in the fact that Pittsburgh is currently beating Cleveland on this poll by over 43%, and yet, according to you, Cleveland wins without a contest.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:54 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,259,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
It's moronic statements like this that earn you disrespect in this forum. To say that there is no contest testifies that you are too biased to make an informed decision.
(1) Huge lack of diversity. I'm not sure where you got this one. Your reasoning seems to be this: since Pittsburgh has a lower percentage of blacks than Cleveland Pittsburgh is therefore lacking in diversity. Pittsburgh has 20% German, 16% Italian, 12% Irish in the metro, with 27% Black and nearly 3% Asian in the city proper. The city also has large percentages of Polish and English with the fifth largest Ukranian community in the country, and some of the largest Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian and Slovak populations.
(2) They Talk Funny. In case you haven't figured this out, everyone has an accent. BTW, I've never heard of anyone detract from NYC because they think the Brooklyn accent is annoying.
(3) Cleveland's Many Affluent Suburbs. What world do you live in? Ever hear of Sewickley? Sewickley Heights? Fox Chapel? Ben Avon? Mt. Lebanon? Franklin Park? Cranberry? Bradford Woods? North Park? Never hear of any of these very wealthy suburban areas? In fact, Sewickley Heights used to be the richest area in the country, long ago.
Additionally, Allegheny West was called Millionaires Row because it was one of the nations wealthiest neighborhoods at one time. Other city neighborhoods like Shadyside and North Oakland are extremely affluent.
BTW, who really cares?
(4) Culture and Class. Again, you must not be aware that Pittsburgh is head and shoulders above Cleveland in higher education...I'm sure you can't find any culture or class there!

If you ask me, Cleveland especially loses out because it's architecture is incomparible to Pittsburgh's. Pittsburgh has everything from modern gothic glass skyscrapers to old solid brownstone townhouses and banks to industrialists' manisions to a core filled with quiant old row houses to houses erected before Cleveland was even founded! Walking through some of Pittsburgh's narrow row-house-lined streets reminds me of strolling through Europe. Pittsburgh has fantastic structural density.

Need I state the humor in the fact that Pittsburgh is currently beating Cleveland on this poll by over 43%, and yet, according to you, Cleveland wins without a contest.

Welcome to city data.com. The place where 13 year olds who never left there city come to trash other cities they have no idea about. I bet that dude has never even been to any Pittsburgh neighborhoods in his life.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 AM

370 posts, read 899,933 times
LOL That guy said people from Pittsburgh talk funny. Ever heard a heavy Ohio-an accent? They're about as annoying as any yinzer, except more annoying.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,478,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
LOL That guy said people from Pittsburgh talk funny. Ever heard a heavy Ohio-an accent? They're about as annoying as any yinzer, except more annoying.
Can you explain to me what an "Ohio-an accent" is? Does it apply to NE Ohio?

I grew up in NE Ohio but have been many places throughout the US, and noone has ever mentioned even once that I have an "Ohio-an" accent. The only thing that people have said is different words I use that arent used in some other areas. For example I was in NYC for some time and spoke to many people, and none of them ever mentioned anything about an accent. Im just trying to get to the bottom of this, because noone else including me has ever noticed anything.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Can you explain to me what an "Ohio-an accent" is? Does it apply to NE Ohio?

I grew up in NE Ohio but have been many places throughout the US, and noone has ever mentioned even once that I have an "Ohio-an" accent. The only thing that people have said is different words I use that arent used in some other areas. For example I was in NYC for some time and spoke to many people, and none of them ever mentioned anything about an accent. Im just trying to get to the bottom of this, because noone else including me has ever noticed anything.
I believe Cleveland is part of the Northern Dialect. This, of course isn't unique to northern Ohio, but it is still an accent. Additionally, American accents have blended together enough that most people from the North speak the same way.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,225 posts, read 3,123,626 times
Is this thread really serious?

Pittsburgh > Cleveland.

Last edited by Johnny C; 02-12-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM

Some of my more recent pictures:

Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 PM

60 posts, read 150,243 times
I think people in Ohio have nasal voices and a kind of silly way of talking.Not silly in a mean way, just exaggerated like something from Fargo. It was very noticeable to me when I was in Cleveland. Even though it is pretty close geographically, the accent is more like something from Michigan where Pittsburgh is more Eastern/Southern sounding. (like the Baltimore accent). Which I find almost as unattractive, honestly.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM

60 posts, read 150,243 times
Fargo the movie, I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City