Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Cleveland?
Pittsburgh 234 66.29%
Cleveland 119 33.71%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 PM

60 posts, read 172,210 times

Advertisements

The rivers are beautiful. Pittsburgh is so inspiring . Cleveland is forgettable at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,483 times
Default wow

Just spent the weekend it pittsburgh. Never seen so many goat ropers and mullets in my life. Its still the early 80's in the Burgh!!! Cleveland gets my vote

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM

370 posts, read 1,015,887 times
I'm from Pittsburgh, but I like to travel a lot and I'm not being biased here..

I HATE HATE HATE Cleveland. I goto it all the time to goto shows, because all the bands I listen to seem to like stopping in Cleveland/Buffalo as opposed to Pittsburgh. So I'm always there to goto the Agora or the Grog Shop and stuff.

I understand that the Agora and Grog Shop aren't in the nicest of neighborhoods in Cleveland, but I've gotten lost a lot in Cleveland, too, and I haven't seen ONE nice neighborhood. Nothing.

Went there 2 weeks ago during a snowstorm, gave them like 5 hours to plow the roads, I'm leaving Cleveland on I77 I think it was, a 3 lane highway for a while, and NO PLOWS at ALL. The other side of the road I saw 3 or 4, but I was stuck going 20 MPH for an hour or two leaving the city and didnt see ONE PLOW the entire time. GUH!

Other than that, Clevelands actual roads are very confusing and full of potholes. I'm afraid to park my car anywhere near Euclid street. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is boring and is a COMPLETE joke who will let anyone into it. Just not fun..

It's just like a glorified Erie, PA. And trust me, Erie is a boring depressing place.

Pittsburgh has confusing roads too, but I think that theres a good amount of nice neighborhoods, the downtown areas like Oakland and Shadyside and such are very VERY nice compared to anything in Cleveland, and there's tons of things to do without even looking hard. The people are generally a little more friendly, too.

Pittsburgh by a long shot. Three beautiful rivers, diversity in architecture, diversity in transportation (i.e. bridges, tunnels, etc..), nice diversity in races and people, diversity in neighborhoods. Pittsburgh's "downtown" is very nice and very small, and thank God, because we have all of the other neighborhoods technically making up downtown, which makes everything so much more interesting

Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM

476 posts, read 2,817,212 times
And the diversity in the both cities ?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
First I want to say that this is one of the most bias and ridiculous threads I have ever come across. Dont trust anything anybody has said on this thread, because almost all of them are biased. For example, look at "saturdayskids" last post. Need I say more? Thats one of the most ridiculous and biased posts Ive ever seen in my life. Did you have to make it that obvious that you are completely biased towards Pittsburgh, and obviously hate, and have a grudge against Cleveland?

Im from Cleveland, but have no problem with Pittsburgh. I like Pittsburgh, there are many differences between it and Cleveland, but there are also similarities. In general, I went with Cleveland. Ill admit Im somewhat biased, but that choice was not made because of bias, I truly feel Cleveland is better. They both have categories that they are better in than the other city though. And to the last poster, Cleveland is more diverse as far as race and ethnicity. Cleveland has a much larger African-American community, and a much larger Hispanic Community. Pittsburgh is mostly white, with some black community. Pittsburgh is also more southern and Appalachian. While Cleveland seems more urban/northern/slightly midwestern (mostly the people, Pittsburghs cityscape is more urban looking). The East coast vibe is about the same in both cities, but Pittsburghs a little closer. Thats all I will say and compare right now, if you want any more fair comparisons between the two cities/metros on certain topics, Ill add them.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
First I want to say that this is one of the most bias and ridiculous threads I have ever come across. Dont trust anything anybody has said on this thread, because almost all of them are biased. For example, look at "saturdayskids" last post. Need I say more? Thats one of the most ridiculous and biased posts Ive ever seen in my life. Did you have to make it that obvious that you are completely biased towards Pittsburgh, and obviously hate, and have a grudge against Cleveland?

Im from Cleveland, but have no problem with Pittsburgh. I like Pittsburgh, there are many differences between it and Cleveland, but there are also similarities. In general, I went with Cleveland. Ill admit Im somewhat biased, but that choice was not made because of bias, I truly feel Cleveland is better. They both have categories that they are better in than the other city though. And to the last poster, Cleveland is more diverse as far as race and ethnicity. Cleveland has a much larger African-American community, and a much larger Hispanic Community. Pittsburgh is mostly white, with some black community. Pittsburgh is also more southern and Appalachian. While Cleveland seems more urban/northern/slightly midwestern (mostly the people, Pittsburghs cityscape is more urban looking). The East coast vibe is about the same in both cities, but Pittsburghs a little closer. Thats all I will say and compare right now, if you want any more fair comparisons between the two cities/metros on certain topics, Ill add them.
If you just attempted to call Pittsburgh a southern city, I will have to try my best not to laugh. Pittsburgh is an unquestionably a Northern city, the south doesn't even start until about 100 to 150 miles south of Pittsburgh. THe biggest difference I've noticed between Cleveland and Pittsburgh is that Cleveland is a Midwestern city while Pittsburgh is a Northeastern city.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:10 PM

283 posts, read 597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post

Agreed, this is a very biased thread. I personally wish Pittsburghers and Clevelanders would just stop the annoying hatred to each others city. I really like Cleveland's downtown and Warehouse district.

I love Pittsburgh too. Pittsburgh is different majorly because of topography. The hills, rivers, and parks seperate each neighborhood and you have very tight urban ones, and more residential ones.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:12 PM

283 posts, read 597,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raja1200 View Post
Just spent the weekend it pittsburgh. Never seen so many goat ropers and mullets in my life. Its still the early 80's in the Burgh!!! Cleveland gets my vote
you must be atleast 12, maybe 10?

I never see mullets around here unless I go to New Ken. I might see one or two around, but whats wrong with a mullet.

Congrats on spending your weekend positively visiting our museums, cultural districts, seeing our architecture, walking through our parks, etc.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:32 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post
I'm from Pittsburgh, but I like to travel a lot and I'm not being biased here..

I HATE HATE HATE Cleveland. I goto it all the time to goto shows, because all the bands I listen to seem to like stopping in Cleveland/Buffalo as opposed to Pittsburgh. So I'm always there to goto the Agora or the Grog Shop and stuff.

I understand that the Agora and Grog Shop aren't in the nicest of neighborhoods in Cleveland, but I've gotten lost a lot in Cleveland, too, and I haven't seen ONE nice neighborhood. Nothing.

Went there 2 weeks ago during a snowstorm, gave them like 5 hours to plow the roads, I'm leaving Cleveland on I77 I think it was, a 3 lane highway for a while, and NO PLOWS at ALL. The other side of the road I saw 3 or 4, but I was stuck going 20 MPH for an hour or two leaving the city and didnt see ONE PLOW the entire time. GUH!

Other than that, Clevelands actual roads are very confusing and full of potholes. I'm afraid to park my car anywhere near Euclid street. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is boring and is a COMPLETE joke who will let anyone into it. Just not fun..

It's just like a glorified Erie, PA. And trust me, Erie is a boring depressing place.

Pittsburgh has confusing roads too, but I think that theres a good amount of nice neighborhoods, the downtown areas like Oakland and Shadyside and such are very VERY nice compared to anything in Cleveland, and there's tons of things to do without even looking hard. The people are generally a little more friendly, too.

Pittsburgh by a long shot. Three beautiful rivers, diversity in architecture, diversity in transportation (i.e. bridges, tunnels, etc..), nice diversity in races and people, diversity in neighborhoods. Pittsburgh's "downtown" is very nice and very small, and thank God, because we have all of the other neighborhoods technically making up downtown, which makes everything so much more interesting

Pittsburgh has roads full of pot holes and the city itself is more confusing than Cleveland. Roads that go nowhere, shopping centers that are now dead because they were built on former land fills and are now moving and cracking.

Cleveland is by the lake, we get snow! Pittsburgh gets a lot of snow too, so don't act like you don't. Sometimes more than Cleveland.

Cleveland has a rapid transit system that blows Pittsburgh's out of the water. You guys have nothing down there, and it is technically dead, no one rides it. Our rapid transit system was the first to link people from our international airport to downtown, Pittsburgh rapid transit doesn't even go to the airport.

Our downtown has a much faster growing population than Pittsburgh's. We have a lot more development dollars being spent than Pittsburgh does. Our newly planned convention center also blows Pittsburgh's out of the water. Yours was falling apart when I went there. Ours opens Malls A,B and C to the lakefront.

Our tallest building Key Tower looks so much better than Steel Tower.

We have an amazing metro parks system, a national park only minutes from downtown, Edgewater Park is great with awesome views off the cliffs to downtown.

Euclid Avenue is awesome. Our new transit line just opened up with new modern buses that no other city in the U.S. uses, only used in Europe. Pittsburgh could only dream of that.

Playhouse Square is the second largest performing arts district in the country after Broadway, Pittsburgh doesn't even come close.

Obviously you went no where in Cleveland. Ohio City, Tremont, Little Italy, University Circle.... you can't compete. Go look them up, they are all amazing with so much diversity.

The Cleveland Clinic, Uptown, and University Circle is a booming area, construction cranes everywhere, never saw that in Pittsburgh.

Diversification??? Cleveland is far more diverse than Pittsburgh. Take a look at the demograpics.

Did you know Pittsburgh is the second most polluted city in the country after LA.

As much as I hate Pittsburgh, I actually have stuck up for it in the Pittsburgh forum, and many people there tell me how nice Cleveland is and in the Cleveland forum many have spoke highly of Pittsburgh.

Our cities hate eachother because of football, but the people are very similar.

I will stick up for Pittsburgh when someone bashes it, just the same for Cleveland. But you bashed Cleveland, and I will bring out the FACTS on Pittsburgh.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Cleveland has a rapid transit system that blows Pittsburgh's out of the water. You guys have nothing down there, and it is technically dead, no one rides it.
Quote:
newly planned convention center also blows Pittsburgh's out of the water.
Quote:
Our tallest building Key Tower looks so much better than Steel Tower.

Quote:
I will stick up for Pittsburgh when someone bashes it, just the same for Cleveland. But you bashed Cleveland, and I will bring out the FACTS on Pittsburgh.
lol are these facts

BTW - i agree Key is better than steel, but no modern structure in Cleveland could ever compete with PPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City