U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Are you kidding?

Taking into mind the difference in fertility rates between liberals and conservatives, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Sounds like you're talking about eugenics or something. Just because conservatives breed like rats doesn't mean they're automatically breeding superstitious close-minded idiots.

I like to think conservatives AND nanny-state liberals are evolving towards the natural state of small-L libertarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:47 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,841,805 times
Fortunately, one's political stance is not an inherited trait. Kids tend to have similar beliefs as their parents, but that can (and should) all change once they leave for college, or maybe even before then. Heck, if they're in a school that actually encourages critical thinking skills, children should have independent beliefs far before they turn 18.

Unfortunately, this isn't always the type of thinking that's encouraged in schools. This is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Are you kidding?

Taking into mind the difference in fertility rates between liberals and conservatives, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:08 PM

15,001 posts, read 13,343,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Getting back on-topic, the reason I don't personally like any socially conservative cities has absolutely nothing to do with the people who dwell within them. On the contrary I live in a swing state (Pennsylvania), and while I'm typically an outspoken social liberal, some of my closest friends are conservatives. When it comes down to it the places you listed don't appeal to me because I oppose urban sprawl, and as another poster upthread excellently pointed out, you merely need to consult Google Earth, Virtual Earth, Wikimapia, etc. to see the stark contrast in aesthetic desirability for very socially liberal cities replete with history and charm (Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc.) as opposed to typically conservative Sunbelt cities oriented around the automobile, with surface parking lots, fast-food restaurants, gas stations, and strip malls appearing on the periphery of their downtowns like dandelions.

I'd much rather depart the "T" at the Boston Commons station and walk the Freedom Trail around Beantown than I would take a stroll through "historic" Downtown Oklahoma City, Virginia Beach, or Phoenix. I made a comment in the past inquiring as to why Phoenix, our nation's fifth-largest city, has such an embarrassingly small downtown, and I was met with mostly shrugged shoulders. Why? The people living on the cul-de-sacs of North Scottsdale couldn't care less about Downtown Phoenix and feel no identity towards their host city. Contrariwise when I have friends visiting my suburban homestead from out of the area, I make sure to showcase all that Downtown Scranton has to offer in order to impress them with our historic brick facades, Steamtown, "The Office", etc. Somehow I don't get the feeling that people living in Virginia Beach or Tulsa show off their "downtown" to visitors as a hot spot.
Yeah, but for new visitors to Tulsa who are not ignorant that downtown Tulsa is famous for its many downtown art deco buildings that oil built, Tulsans have no choice but to show off downtown Tulsa for them, and with pride. In addition to that, the huge new arena called the BOK (Bank of Oklahoma) Center is an architechal masterpiece to feast the eyes upon. And something that at best is just a distant dream for Scranton.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,819,334 times
Default ...

While I have no interest in ultra-conservative politics, I do like Oklahoma City as the city seems to be neutralizing. The city is revitalizing its downtown and the arts and entertainment is actually occurring there as of late! This means... well.. OKC actually just swung a notch to the left..

Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 PM

56,650 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Grand Rapids, MI is a city with strong religious ties that has been getting love quietly. It's known for being relatively "conservative".

Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 PM

687 posts, read 2,111,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, but for new visitors to Tulsa who are not ignorant that downtown Tulsa is famous for its many downtown art deco buildings that oil built, Tulsans have no choice but to show off downtown Tulsa for them, and with pride. In addition to that, the huge new arena called the BOK (Bank of Oklahoma) Center is an architechal masterpiece to feast the eyes upon. And something that at best is just a distant dream for Scranton.
Wheee!!!!

Lookie what we have!!

Flickr: BOK Center in Tulsa, OK (http://www.flickr.com/groups/bokcenter/ - broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 PM

196 posts, read 405,629 times
Uhh, aren't Tatoos illegal in Oklahoma? Seems kind of silly, but if you want the real reason Oklahoma is a little too conservative...? One thing 3.2% beer. I will still pay the same for a Bud Light in Oklahoma, but will get less bang for my buck, that is my biggest complaint about Oklahoma, and I'm not even an alcoholic, everything else crappy about Oklahoma is subjective, but I promise you there is nothing good about and no one wants 3.2% beer, what the heck is up with that anyway?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:32 AM

687 posts, read 2,111,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Uhh, aren't Tatoos illegal in Oklahoma? Seems kind of silly, but if you want the real reason Oklahoma is a little too conservative...? One thing 3.2% beer. I will still pay the same for a Bud Light in Oklahoma, but will get less bang for my buck, that is my biggest complaint about Oklahoma, and I'm not even an alcoholic, everything else crappy about Oklahoma is subjective, but I promise you there is nothing good about and no one wants 3.2% beer, what the heck is up with that anyway?
Tattoos are not illegal anymore. That law was repealed two years ago.

It's my biggest complaint too (3.2 beer) but we can still buy the higher stuff as long as it's not domestic beer in the liquor stores. So it's not like we don't have access to it.

And OK has some of the better brewpubs around, probably because of the novelty they become with 3.2 beer.

If people are saying OK is backwards only because of our 3.2 beer and our substandard roads, maybe they should start peering in the mirror....because at that point, they're looking for reasons to call us backwards. Many of the people calling us backwards are using heresay because they've never been here.e

Fine, stay away. The less people clogging up our state the better. I like it this way. It keeps our cost of living down.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,409,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Taboo2 - the South and Chicago both have very rich musical traditions. Rockabilly isn't 'nasty' at all, in fact, I've been to a few rockabilly shows over the course of my life and had a lovely time (also, as you are obviously not aware, rockabilly is alive and well in Chicago too).
I like rawk.

Best thing in Tulsa is that they have AN AQUARIUM! No Seriously- LEMON SHARKS!

WORST THING ABOUT THE SOUTH? MOST STATES STILL ALLOW PADDLING CHILDREN IN PUBLIC SCHOOL & PARENTS AND TEACHER THINK IT HELPS.

EEEEKSS

Last edited by Taboo2; 08-20-2008 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 05:05 PM

3,254 posts, read 5,409,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Ok, Taboo2.... stop helping

Cheap Trick is from Rockford, IL.

Chicago DOES have an amazing musical history, from the aforementioned Blues and jazz right up to today. Something for every taste, really. From Smashing Pumpkins to Kanye and Common to Disturbed to Jesus Lizard to Herbie Hancock.
Neko Case. Andrew Bird. Liz Phair. Fall Out Boy. Styx. Benny Goodman. Chali 2na.

Of course the band Chicago.... if you want to count that as a GOOD thing.
I know Cheap Trick is from the burbs... Liz Phair is from Evanston ( or is it Winnetka) and Billy C is from the burbs (Glenbard North High). I still like their music more than any bands from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City