U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,259,537 times

Advertisements

Whats the deal with all the old thread bumping?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:02 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,493,145 times
There was an article in the Economist about how America has become so politically hyper-striated with regard to where people live. Gerrymandering really does make this worse. But it's gotten to a point where I can't knock a conservative for wanting to live near conservatives or a Liberal for wanting to live near a Liberal. I mean, if you are a religious person and you want a place with a lot of religious infrastructure, perhaps it is better for you to live in a city that is more likely to have that? And if you're a tree hugging, leaf eating, off-beat hipster like me you probably do want to live somewhere with people like you that's likely to have the amenities you need to survive.

So in short, conservative cities won't get any love from me other than maybe a visit. And I don't expect likewise. So no one has to shed any tears over it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM

138 posts, read 317,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
There was an article in the Economist about how America has become so politically hyper-striated with regard to where people live. Gerrymandering really does make this worse. But it's gotten to a point where I can't knock a conservative for wanting to live near conservatives or a Liberal for wanting to live near a Liberal. I mean, if you are a religious person and you want a place with a lot of religious infrastructure, perhaps it is better for you to live in a city that is more likely to have that? And if you're a tree hugging, leaf eating, off-beat hipster like me you probably do want to live somewhere with people like you that's likely to have the amenities you need to survive.

So in short, conservative cities won't get any love from me other than maybe a visit. And I don't expect likewise. So no one has to shed any tears over it.
Living in a very conservative city myself (Little Rock) and having experience in other ones (Tulsa, OKC), I will say the liberal cities are generally significantly ahead of the conservative ones in the area of urban development. Conservative cities tend to be very auto-centric, with most effort and resources being poured into suburbia, and little interest by the citizens in urban or downtown development. Little Rock is built entirely around freeway driving and long commutes, and the same can be said for Tulsa and OKC. Its difficult to find a historical, walkable, urban neighborhood in these cities. Liberal cities on the other hand have shifted the focus to urban redevelopment over the past several years, and generally have much better mass transit so it is easier to live without a car. Population density is also much higher.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 AM

43 posts, read 135,304 times
For me, at least, it's not about politics as much as lifestyle. I prefer to live in older houses, walkable neighborhoods close to the city center. I prefer independent restaurants to chains, and a little grit over perfectly planned suburbs. Also, a strong focus on arts, museums/libraries. Also access to natural foods stores, lots of bookstores...you know the drill. I have a toddler and also prefer to be able to find more parents with similar values (not spanking, lots of discussion with kids, limited tv and junk food...)

These things TEND to go along with liberal or moderate cities. I'm sure I could find most of it in a conservative city if I tried hard enough, but it's hard enough in my moderate city in OH. Basically,some cities fit better with certain lifestyles and politics sometimes correlates. Not a 100% correlation, but it's a decent proxy.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,645,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Uhh, aren't Tatoos illegal in Oklahoma? Seems kind of silly, but if you want the real reason Oklahoma is a little too conservative...? One thing 3.2% beer. I will still pay the same for a Bud Light in Oklahoma, but will get less bang for my buck, that is my biggest complaint about Oklahoma, and I'm not even an alcoholic, everything else crappy about Oklahoma is subjective, but I promise you there is nothing good about and no one wants 3.2% beer, what the heck is up with that anyway?
Whats this BS about Southern cities being dry? Dont ppl usually associate Southerners w/ alcohol and country music? Even in dry counties, ppl still find ways to get alcohol. Alcohol is very abundant in the South and is as much a part of the culture as going to church on Sundays.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,602,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
There is more going on than you think in OkC and Tulsa.

OkC has a new NBA team (name yet to be awarded), and Tulsa is putting the finishing touches on a new downtown arena that is world class (BOK Center).

BOK Center?? Is there going to be a CHOY Tower built nearby? Then they could name it, BOK CHOY Center!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I like rawk.

Best thing in Tulsa is that they have AN AQUARIUM! No Seriously- LEMON SHARKS!

WORST THING ABOUT THE SOUTH? MOST STATES STILL ALLOW PADDLING CHILDREN IN PUBLIC SCHOOL & PARENTS AND TEACHER THINK IT HELPS.

EEEEKSS
Since you apparently don't understand what you are saying...corporal punishment in schools is legal in 22 states, so there are obviously a few outside of the South.

In all my years of teaching I have never heard of a student being paddled...most school systems have a policy against it, even if the state doesn't. As a teacher I would never use that type of punishment, and I don't know of any teachers that would want it. Other methods work better anyway.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,804,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Getting back on-topic, the reason I don't personally like any socially conservative cities has absolutely nothing to do with the people who dwell within them. On the contrary I live in a swing state (Pennsylvania), and while I'm typically an outspoken social liberal, some of my closest friends are conservatives. When it comes down to it the places you listed don't appeal to me because I oppose urban sprawl, and as another poster upthread excellently pointed out, you merely need to consult Google Earth, Virtual Earth, Wikimapia, etc. to see the stark contrast in aesthetic desirability for very socially liberal cities replete with history and charm (Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc.) as opposed to typically conservative Sunbelt cities oriented around the automobile, with surface parking lots, fast-food restaurants, gas stations, and strip malls appearing on the periphery of their downtowns like dandelions.

I'd much rather depart the "T" at the Boston Commons station and walk the Freedom Trail around Beantown than I would take a stroll through "historic" Downtown Oklahoma City, Virginia Beach, or Phoenix. I made a comment in the past inquiring as to why Phoenix, our nation's fifth-largest city, has such an embarrassingly small downtown, and I was met with mostly shrugged shoulders. Why? The people living on the cul-de-sacs of North Scottsdale couldn't care less about Downtown Phoenix and feel no identity towards their host city. Contrariwise when I have friends visiting my suburban homestead from out of the area, I make sure to showcase all that Downtown Scranton has to offer in order to impress them with our historic brick facades, Steamtown, "The Office", etc. Somehow I don't get the feeling that people living in Virginia Beach or Tulsa show off their "downtown" to visitors as a hot spot. I'd garner a bet that there's more culture and history embedded within merely one block of Alexandria, Virginia, for example, than in several neighborhoods of Phoenix, Cary, Tulsa, or Wichita.

Ordinarily I'd give these cities a pass, since they've obviously had less time to mature and acclimate to their newfound success as America's next great cities; however, my confidence in them EVER becoming decent places to live slips when I see that sprawling low-rise lifestyle centers and their accompanying chains (Bass Pro Shop? UGH!) are being encouraged to come downtown to devour prime real estate that may otherwise be opportune for mixed-use projects such as ground-level independent stores and restaurants with loft-style housing overhead. What's next? A cul-de-sac in the middle of Phoenix? (Or do they already have that?)
What makes people come to this ignorant conclusion that southern cities are conservative? You should really know what you're talking about before you make such an untrue statement.

And another thing...how lame is it to lump all cities together from a particular region? Each one is different, but I wouldn't expect someone to know that when they have no interest in learning about these cities.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,744,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Colorado Springs, CO
Salt Lake City, UT
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Little Rock, AR
Virginia Beach, VA
Wichita, KS

The one thing all these cities have in common is they are all known for being conservative cities. You never see anybody mention these places unless its something negative yet the Seattles and Austins get nothing but praise. All of these cities have a lot to offer, yet get no respect especially on this forum. Why is this? Do conservatives really bother people so much they can't look beyond their elitism into what these cities really offer, or are these places just that bad?

P.S. I probably left some cities off this list that should be included. Feel free to add some.
Those places are not cities..... they are overgrown big towns. The biggest metro area that you listed was Oklahoma City and Salt Lake City, which only have 1.1 million

Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 AM

3,254 posts, read 5,258,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Since you apparently don't understand what you are saying...corporal punishment in schools is legal in 22 states, so there are obviously a few outside of the South.

In all my years of teaching I have never heard of a student being paddled...most school systems have a policy against it, even if the state doesn't. As a teacher I would never use that type of punishment, and I don't know of any teachers that would want it. Other methods work better anyway.

The entire Southern part of the US has legalized corporal punishment. Other states are pretty sporadict

States with Corporal Punishment in School - FamilyEducation.com

The craziest thing is the parents think this is a reasonable means of punishment. Allowing someone else to hit your child before you can even talk to them and verify what is going on.

Which makes you wonder what they do to their kids at home "Johnny get me a switch you didn't take out the trash".

I went to a school where they hit kids when we did wrong and my mother raised hell because she had not signed off on that. That is not to say I didn't get spanked at home, but that was by my parents, not a substitute adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City