U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
I suppose you've not read a lot of their writings

Ever heard of the Jefferson Bible?

Perhaps Madison's Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments?

Perhaps most importantly you should dust off a copy of The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine.

Once you've caught up on your reading and stopped cherry picking quotes, then we can talk.

Maybe he should read up on the Hellfire Club too, of which Ben Franklin was a prominent member.

The Founding Fathers were radicals. Most of the most prominent ones, anyways. Radical libertarians. The conservatron talk-show callers are as far from the spirit of the founders as you can get. So are American liberals. This country is doomed, either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM

10,699 posts, read 11,099,435 times
"What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ. George Washington, 1779

"It is impossible to rightly govern the World without God or the Bible" Also George Washington

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." Washington again

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever." Thomas Jefferson

"This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins." Ben Franklin

"I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers - and it was not there . . . in her fertile fields and boundless forests and it was not there . . . in her rich mines and her vast world commerc - and it was not there . . . in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution - and it vas not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville gives an outsider's perspective on the greatness of America.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,617,254 times
"It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins." Ben Franklin

Which is what has become of a lot of people's interpretations of Christianity.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all in conservative states, but the cities themselves are very blue.
Right. I think that when any city is experiencing growth and reaches a certain population, its' liberal community begins to gel...no matter what region that it's located in.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:42 PM

162 posts, read 580,165 times
@iknowftbll

Quote:
Once you've caught up on your reading and stopped cherry picking quotes, then we can talk.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:50 PM

10,699 posts, read 11,099,435 times
Quote:
Yet you've produced nothing to support your side. Perhaps a trip to your local library would help?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM

162 posts, read 580,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yet you've produced nothing to support your side. Perhaps a trip to your local library would help?
Boy, you're done with all the readings already?! Kennedy would be proud!

Apparently you didn't read my previous post with the books you should read before cherry picking your quotes

Old 02-06-2009, 04:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter."
-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies."
--Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 PM

205 posts, read 650,461 times
I don't think it has to with red vs blue. CityData happens to have a lot of city junkies in (tech/finance/media/health care/real estate) from what I have observed and most of the relevant cities for professionals seems to be in larger, more cosmo metro's (hence the coastal cities popularity in the forums).

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM

28 posts, read 60,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I'll go with what another poster said, that liberal cities are naturally more entertaining.

Think of it this way, will a place like Salt Lake City with its high Mormon population and strict liquor laws ever have an active nightlife and bar scene? Will cities with high percentages of practicing Southern Baptists ever have a great live music scene? Will cities primarily made up of white middle class families ever have the attractions and activities people like to partake in on vacations? Excepting theme parks.

Not really. That is why people like the big cities mentioned and often leave out their suburbs and conservative cities. While Orange County or Virginia Beach seem like nice places if you have a family and stable job that earns a fair amount of money, they really don't have party atmosphere or weirdness that people enjoy in their youth and when they are on vacation.

But good news for conservatives, liberals have become increasingly paternalistic and moralistic as well. In a decade or two you will probably see a lot more praise for cities like Oklahoma City or Tupelo because those will be the only places where bacon burgers are still legal and you don't have to be over 21 to buy drinks with caffeine.

I agree with the "strict liquor laws" discouraging vibrant bar scenes, but no good music scenes in heavy Southern Baptist areas... Are you joking? Some of the most vibrant music scenes and new types of music (ie blues, jazz, rock) come from those areas.

Anyway... I think that most people do not like these places because they have never been or when they go they already have preconceived notions that govern what they look for in a city.

From my experiences around the US, most cities have about the same stuff to do if you look or have a good guide (some have more and others less; this is the divider). It is the rural or suburban areas that don't have much to do. And even that is starting to change in many suburban areas because many of them are modeling themselves on cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City