U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2008, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
195 posts, read 534,543 times
Reputation: 117

Advertisements

If you are gay and live in the South, you tend to congregate in a place with other gay people...hence the popularity of Atlanta, Dallas, Houston etc with the gays. It has nothing to do with the welcoming attitudes of the residents....it has everything to do with strength in numbers and economic opportunity. Not far removed from the same things that bring heterosexual people to those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,212 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL63 View Post
Houston, Atlanta and Dallas aren't really conservative and if they were, the only reason people are flocking to them is because of their really low cost of living..not because they are conservatives.
Moderate slightly leaning towards the left is the best way to describe these cities. Don't know about Atlanta, but Houston and Dallas are getting more liberal each year though. But neither are as liberal as San Francisco, Boston, New York, or Los Angeles. I will say in about 10-15 years, Houston could be as liberal as Chicago or Washington DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
 
149 posts, read 145,614 times
Reputation: 37
Nobody goes to or mentions conservative cities because they're all so boring and Podunk. eww.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,383 posts, read 15,038,076 times
Reputation: 1575
maybe it's because they're not really that big so they don't lure the liberal types, which makes them so conservative. Or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Reputation: 7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Moderate slightly leaning towards the left is the best way to describe these cities. Don't know about Atlanta, but Houston and Dallas are getting more liberal each year though. But neither are as liberal as San Francisco, Boston, New York, or Los Angeles. I will say in about 10-15 years, Houston could be as liberal as Chicago or Washington DC.
I hope Houston dosen't become Liberal.

How can liberals be open-minded when all they do is critcize conservatives beliefs and mock the religious people???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
j33
 
4,625 posts, read 12,635,395 times
Reputation: 1650
I consider myself pretty liberal, but I do not mock those who are religious, as I have religious beliefs myself. I do, however, take issue with the 'culture warriors' and those whose conservativism seems to simply be about protecting their own wealth, believing that they are an island, and to hell with everyone else. I tend to be a bit more community minded in my attitudes and that informs how I view the world. I find it interesting that you are so quick to assert that "all they[liberals] do is critcize conservatives beliefs and mock the religious people", in asserting that, aren't you falling victim to what you claim 'the liberals' do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,662,260 times
Reputation: 275
Default Conservawhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Are you kidding me??? Dude, it's the conservative cities that everyone's moving to!! Boise, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, etc etc. The conservative city--with it's sane economic policy and family-friendly atmosphere is the place to be. There's a reason liberal cities like Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, etc, are losing people to conservative meccas in the south and southwest.
I hate to break it to you, but Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, and Charlotte are NOT conservative cities! It is becoming increasingly liberal consistently in ALL American cities. Those living in the outlying parts of the metro area may be conservative and heavily influence politics and reputation of the city, but I think you would be very hardpressed to find any neighborhood in any of these cities' urban cores that are conservative at all. Midtown Atlanta, Oaklawn Dallas, and Montrose Houston are more liberal than many zip codes in LA or Boston.
To live in San Francisco you almost have to get on a waiting list, and real estate is still skyrocketing, so it's not accurate to say they are losing people. Boston is also highly desirable as well. Detroit's economy has been in disarray for a while and people are just moving to where the jobs are.
I would also caution you to take note that Obama will very likely win Harris County (Houston) and Dallas County (Dallas) even with the conservative suburbs being thrown into the mix.
Times are changin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,602,573 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
Nobody goes to or mentions conservative cities because they're all so boring and Podunk. eww.
What an ignorant and elitist statement. Have you been to any of the places I listed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,329 posts, read 7,376,041 times
Reputation: 2941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What an ignorant and elitist statement. Have you been to any of the places I listed?
Probably not....he might have to talk to all us slack jawed country folk. It might hurt his IQ to mingle with us Rednecks and commoners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 PM
 
332 posts, read 1,155,502 times
Reputation: 201
The large cities in Texas are most definitely not conservative. I'm gay, and find Houston people are very welcoming and accepting of people of varied backgrounds, ethnicities and races. They're not all Christian bible thumpers either.

I find Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin to be similarly more centrist. That said, I wouldn't be anywhere near as comfortable living in small cities or rural areas here... they're closer to the stereotypical perception that still persists of the state as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top