U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM

756 posts, read 1,264,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know,but it's not as liberal as Austin and San Francisco atleast.
You should spend some time in Montrose, Midtown, Heights, West U., Museum District, Rice Village, Upper Kirby, and Rice Military neighborhoods in Houston and be more realistic. Houston's inner loop is dramatically more liberal than Austin. I find Austin rather conservative if you take out the 50,000 temporary residents that attend UT.

San Francisco takes the national cake for most liberal reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,133,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Will cities with high percentages of practicing Southern Baptists ever have a great live music scene?
Rock N Roll was born in Memphis. Lots of southern Baptists. Also, Memphis and New Orleans WERE jazz meccas at one point.

As far as live music scene, there are plenty of good live music scenes that aren't supressed by southern Baptists. It just depends on what you are looking for in a live music scene.

NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. could NEVER offer the kind of live music that I grew up on. Live rock band set up on a flatbed trailer in the middle of a field, bon fires roaring, and millions of bright stars shining in the sky while everyone drives their vehicles into the field and pulls out chairs or crowds up on tailgates.....I wouldn't trade that for the world. I still love going to see "classy" music in a nice atmosphere such as a ritzy jazz club. But nothing can compare to the grit of rock n' roll under a starry sky in the middle of a field with a few hundred people showing up and partying til the sun comes up.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:50 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Rock N Roll was born in Memphis. Lots of southern Baptists. Also, Memphis and New Orleans WERE jazz meccas at one point.

As far as live music scene, there are plenty of good live music scenes that aren't supressed by southern Baptists. It just depends on what you are looking for in a live music scene.

NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. could NEVER offer the kind of live music that I grew up on. Live rock band set up on a flatbed trailer in the middle of a field, bon fires roaring, and millions of bright stars shining in the sky while everyone drives their vehicles into the field and pulls out chairs or crowds up on tailgates.....I wouldn't trade that for the world. I still love going to see "classy" music in a nice atmosphere such as a ritzy jazz club. But nothing can compare to the grit of rock n' roll under a starry sky in the middle of a field with a few hundred people showing up and partying til the sun comes up.
Yes, people forget that most forms of American music (rock n' roll, country, bluegrass, blues, jazz, zydeco, etc.) originated in the South.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,544,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Colorado Springs, CO
Salt Lake City, UT
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Little Rock, AR
Virginia Beach, VA
Wichita, KS

The one thing all these cities have in common is they are all known for being conservative cities. You never see anybody mention these places unless its something negative yet the Seattles and Austins get nothing but praise. All of these cities have a lot to offer, yet get no respect especially on this forum. Why is this? Do conservatives really bother people so much they can't look beyond their elitism into what these cities really offer, or are these places just that bad?

P.S. I probably left some cities off this list that should be included. Feel free to add some.
I am amazed I have been to 3 of these on the list and never thought of them being conservative. They are just have bad fashion and glamour sense.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,544,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Maybe they're just more boring. Would you rather see a tranny selling hot dogs out of the trunk of his pink Cadillac or a Mormon handing out pamphlets on damnation at the local Target?

Liberal-minded cities are just more entertaining, that's all.

The mormon will biblically "TAKE" yr daughter AND your son faster than the tranny FO SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. could NEVER offer the kind of live music that I grew up on. .
Chicago is the home of the blues and has a richer musical history than the south IMO.

Last edited by Taboo2; 08-11-2008 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,794,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
You should spend some time in Montrose, Midtown, Heights, West U., Museum District, Rice Village, Upper Kirby, and Rice Military neighborhoods in Houston and be more realistic. Houston's inner loop is dramatically more liberal than Austin. I find Austin rather conservative if you take out the 50,000 temporary residents that attend UT.

San Francisco takes the national cake for most liberal reputation.
I have. I'm speaking about Houston overall not being extremely liberal.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:24 PM

251 posts, read 470,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Yeah, and trust me, I've been to San Antonio; aside from the Alamo and the Riverwalk, it ain't very much. Both of those attractions are gone, and you might as well be Odessa.
You obviously didn't spend much time here if that's all you went to. You could have done Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Sea World of Texas, Splashtown San Antonio, Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, the San Antonio Zoo, Natural Bridge Caverns, Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch, Government Canyon, Canyon Lake, Mission Trails, The McNay, the Alamedia National Center of Latino Arts and Culture, the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, Tube the Guadlaupe and Comal Rivers, Hike and Bike in the Hill Country, tour the historic German towns north of San Antonio and do the nighclubs. What is there to do where you live?
E: Forgot about the Ripley's Believe It or Not! and Louis Tussaud's Plaza Wax Museum.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Chicago is the home of the blues and has a richer musical history than the south IMO.
Um, no. Chicago is known for the blues only because blacks from THE SOUTH moved to Chicago bringing their music with them in what was called The Great Migration. Nice try though.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:52 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,412,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Do some more reading playa. Brush up on your history of music.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 PM

756 posts, read 1,264,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have. I'm speaking about Houston overall not being extremely liberal.
It doesn't seem conservative at all to me. Austin just seems young and the metro area outside downtown is scary conservative like 100% of the counties that surround it. And it's just small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City