U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM

8,150 posts, read 7,478,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Are you kidding me??? Dude, it's the conservative cities that everyone's moving to!! Boise, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, etc etc. The conservative city--with it's sane economic policy and family-friendly atmosphere is the place to be. There's a reason liberal cities like Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, etc, are losing people to conservative meccas in the south and southwest.
Atlanta is not a conservative city.I would say moderate to liberal if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,187,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Chicago is the home of the blues and has a richer musical history than the south IMO.
I know Chicago is a big blues city. But every time people hear Memphis and New Orleans, jazz and blues are immediately brought to mind.

As far as the live music I commented about not being available in the big cities, I guess its a rural thing that even big southern cities don't have. Besides the bon fires in the fields, I can remember a summer where ever weekend there was a huge barbeque, bon fire, and live music on a sandbar by the river. And I mean literally on the sand. You had to have a 4wd and drive through a long muddy road to get there. People from 5 different counties would show up. You just can't get that in the city.

I wouldn't mind seeing some blues in Chicago though. I've only been there for a week. I went last year on business. Had a great time, but definitely didn't have as much time to explore like I wanted. Had some pizza at Exchequers though. Good stuff!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,053,021 times
Little Rock is conservative? I must have overlooked that somehow when I lived there.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 PM

537 posts, read 1,430,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravofan View Post
do some more reading playa. Brush up on your history of music.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 AM

13,475 posts, read 14,986,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post

Chicago is the home of the blues and has a richer musical history than the south IMO.
WHOA lmao....I hear laughter. It's coming from the people of Memphis and Mississippi.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,792,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
WHOA lmao....I hear laughter. It's coming from the people of Memphis and Mississippi.
Chicago is home to 'electric blues' which was originally brought to the city from the south (the acoustic and harmonica based Blues that Memphis and Mississippi are known for) and took on a different form which is known today as the specific blues music that Chicago is indeed home to.

Chess and Alligator Records were and are home to a lot artists like Bo Diddley, etc.

Chicago blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM

2,133 posts, read 4,059,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Atlanta is not a conservative city.I would say moderate to liberal if anything.
Atlanta is a very liberal city surrounded by more conservative suburbs. DeKalb County and the city of Decatur are also very liberal. However, counties like Cobb and Gwinnett tend to be a lot more conservative. Remember, Metro Atlanta has spawned both Cynthia McKinney and Newt Gingrich. It doesn't get more divergent than that!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM

688 posts, read 1,782,520 times
Fiscal Conservative great, I'm there !
I have no love for pushy religious zealots.
I have a deep respect for all spiritual people until
they try to push their views on others. Any town
that doest truly observe separation of church and state
tend to be control freaks. This is America baby with
the right to pursue liberty.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,579,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Um, no. Chicago is known for the blues only because blacks from THE SOUTH moved to Chicago bringing their music with them in what was called The Great Migration. Nice try though.
Chicago made the blues what it is. Not the south. You can have that nasty rockabilly- country and all that crap. Actually I was talking about Cheap Trick when I said Rich Musical History.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM

3,254 posts, read 3,579,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
All I hear is that annoying twang with their drawl. I am not an elvis fan.

All I know about Mississippi is that MY people were there before other people were there. I personally never wanted to go back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City