U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 08:13 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Chicago is home to 'electric blues' which was originally brought to the city from the south (the acoustic and harmonica based Blues that Memphis and Mississippi are known for) and took on a different form which is known today as the specific blues music that Chicago is indeed home to.

Chess and Alligator Records were and are home to a lot artists like Bo Diddley, etc.

Chicago blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh I'm not denying that Chicago isn't a great city for blues. I'm also not denying that they didn't add their own element to the genre. The black population in both Mississippi and the South is strong. Chicago is probably the biggest city outside the south to have a strongest connection to the south. That's probably why so many blacks in Chicago have that twang to them. I thought I was still in the south when I visited my family up there lol.

But when a Southerner especially ones from the deltas and backwoods of Mississippi and Memphis sees a comment saying that Chicago is the "home" of blues, they look at you like you are some sort of android and then simply laugh at you. Blues in the south goes back beyond the 20th century, Taboo. And the South's music history isn't just blues, Taboo. Where do you think Jazz came from? Don't say any other city but New Orleans.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM

769 posts, read 2,011,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Actually, that's kind of a good thing. We don't need people of your ilk here. We're trying to keep OK a secret so it doesn't get crowded with people.

Guess that's why the population of the two primary metro areas grows at a pretty steady rate (about 6 percent since 2000). About the same as Minneapolis. Which I have been to. And which ain't much either.
If you don't like Minneapolis that is your business. I was just giving the reasons why Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and others are boring. And what do you mean by "people of your ilk"?

Do you mean people who favor good roads, high education, less social conservatism, good beer, and a tranquil social atmosphere the type of person who shouldn't be in OK? If that is true then I should stay in Minneapolis because we've got all that and more.

And LOL @ the "we're trying to keep OK a secret" comment. You act as if you have any pull on how the government runs. You're just some dude. It isn't like you have any big say. Lighten up, guy.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
If you don't like Minneapolis that is your business. I was just giving the reasons why Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and others are boring. And what do you mean by "people of your ilk"?

Do you mean people who favor good roads, high education, less social conservatism, good beer, and a tranquil social atmosphere the type of person who shouldn't be in OK? If that is true then I should stay in Minneapolis because we've got all that and more.

And LOL @ the "we're trying to keep OK a secret" comment. You act as if you have any pull on how the government runs. You're just some dude. It isn't like you have any big say. Lighten up, guy.
>>>>>
less social conservatism
<<<<<

Sorry, our social conservatism trumps the other items that you listed. Just messin'........maybe we could all lighten up.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
First off, all the cities you listed are not that big, they were never that economically or industrially powerful, and the other reason I think they don't get any love right now is because our conservative president has done an excellent job of making conservatives look bad for our country. It's also probably the times.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
The truth is, major cities have had a history of liberalism for a long, long time. Densely-packed urban areas are no place for rugged individualism. The sheer number of people packed into not a lot of space tends to lead to a more communal experience.

Public transportation becomes much more essential. Other gov't programs become more essential as well (from fire departments to pest control to street cleaning).

Cities also tend to attract new immigrants and young people, both of whom tend to lean a bit to the left. They become homes for the arts. That pulls in the lefties, too. Then it pulls in people who dig the progressive attitudes they see, and the whole thing becomes self-fulfilling.

The few cities that you've named as being conservative are somewhat smaller and less dense than many cities. They're in a pretty specific geographical area, for the most part, too. All of those factors probably simultaneously contribute to their conservatism and their lack of popularity.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:47 PM

14,981 posts, read 13,339,243 times
Quote:
I spent enough days in Tulsa and Oklahoma City to notice the crappy beer, ugly, cracked roads, meet people who'd rather stay at home than go out into the city, and I also saw this dull place called Bricktown.
Then if Tulsa's new BOK Center can't help it and Oklahoma City's bricktown or going pro basketball can't help it then what to those cities need to do? Like what needs to start happening to make you think, hey, I gotta move down there and be a part of what's happening? (Maybe for starters, they could abolish the 3.2% beer?)

Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Because if a city is conservative, you scare away the creative class and inhibit economic growth, making it an overall crappy place to live. Also, who wants to live someplace where conservative christians try to micromanage your personal life?

It's not so much that people dislike conservative cities because they're conservative - it's just all the negatives that go along with it. Tulsa has very little positive about it.
Well, you can't deny that one big, big thing Tulsa has going for it is that the Tulsa County District Attorney has not tried banning sales or possession of magazines like Penthouse and Hustler since the 21st century began.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:

What good beer, especially in Minneapolis. If I'm right the state of Minnesota can be just as damned backward as Oklahoma when it comes to beer because they got 3.2% beer there, too.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,196,898 times
Social conservatism will one day go the way of the dinosaurs, which did, in fact, exist.

I'm more libertarian than anything, but thank your local liberals for such downfalls of society as the end of slavery (Republicans, back when the Democrats were the conservatives) and the end of Jim Crow (ditto). Next up: Gays are people too!

I can't wait for the day when bibles (or korans...you people hate the moslems, but how different are they really?) are featured in museums as curiosity pieces. And spare me the "not all christians are backwards-thinking troglodytes"...I know that. I'm directing this at the average bible-thumping conservative. Your days are numbered.

Signed,

A native of Richmond, VA...conservative stronghold.

Edit- I also lived in San Francisco and Seattle and am no fan of humorless liberal types. So much for pigeonholing me.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,984,645 times
Yea Albuquerque is now one of them green cities! which is really neat! were also really conservative when it comes to water as well, too conservative.. saving up for the future, not like some other southwestern cities who have no conservation laws or acts toward water and waste it foolishly. We dont need that attention as long as we continue to keep up with the conservation here we know were doing something good for ourselfs to save us in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City