Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,197,688 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs, CO
Salt Lake City, UT
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Little Rock, AR
Virginia Beach, VA
Wichita, KS

The one thing all these cities have in common is they are all known for being conservative cities. You never see anybody mention these places unless its something negative yet the Seattles and Austins get nothing but praise. All of these cities have a lot to offer, yet get no respect especially on this forum. Why is this? Do conservatives really bother people so much they can't look beyond their elitism into what these cities really offer, or are these places just that bad?

P.S. I probably left some cities off this list that should be included. Feel free to add some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:03 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,825,853 times
I'm a conservative and I do not let politics of the city/state rule over my decision to live wherever I like.

I have observed, however, that there are many people who are more liberal that are critical of cities/states that are conservative and have expressed their dislike of such areas.

For example, I have a good friend who is very liberal that would never consider moving to a "red" state. He has stated time and time again that he would never live "there" because of the politics of the state/city are so offensive to him. To me, it's no big deal, but to my good friend, it is everything. It IS ironic that he lives in one of the "reddest" states in the country (Texas). However Dallas is a fairly liberal city.

Also take note of the many threads on this forum that ask how liberal, diverse, or conservative a place is before they commit to a move. Most of the questions are from those who are more liberal wanting to ask how accepting an area is of their beliefs.

There is nothing wrong with this, it's just something I have observed and it's my opinion only.

Just my 2 cent$.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,076,469 times
I'd rather live in a conservative city than a liberal city. Conservatives really aren't that bad and lots of people exaggerate about them. I live in Waco,Tx(The most conservative town ever according to many people) and its not as religious and conservative as people think.

I personally think conservatives are more open-minded than liberals.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
For example, I have a good friend who is very liberal that would never consider moving to a "red" state. He has stated time and time again that he would never live "there" because of the politics of the state/city are so offensive to him. To me, it's no big deal, but to my good friend, it is everything. It IS ironic that he lives in one of the "reddest" states in the country (Texas). However Dallas is a fairly liberal city.
This is exactly the attitude I am talking about. "Liberal" places are also not as open minded as they like to say they are. I would be willing to bet that a homosexual vegetarian member of the Sierra club would have a better chance of fitting in in Oklahoma City than an evangelical Southern Baptist with a drawl would have at fitting in in Seattle.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is exactly the attitude I am talking about. "Liberal" places are also not as open minded as they like to say they are. All of these conservative places have liberal movements within them. I would be willing to bet that a homosexual vegetarian member of the Sierra club would have a better chance of fitting in in Oklahoma City than an evangelical Southern Baptist with a drawl would have at fitting in in Seattle.
Here in Waco,Texas we have lots of gays,transsexuals,lesbians,etc joining with our churches and fitting right in with everyone else. Liberals are the ones that you have to worry about trying to force their beliefs upon you.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 PM

351 posts, read 646,715 times
Are you kidding me??? Dude, it's the conservative cities that everyone's moving to!! Boise, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, etc etc. The conservative city--with it's sane economic policy and family-friendly atmosphere is the place to be. There's a reason liberal cities like Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, etc, are losing people to conservative meccas in the south and southwest.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,676,069 times
Maybe they're just more boring. Would you rather see a tranny selling hot dogs out of the trunk of his pink Cadillac or a Mormon handing out pamphlets on damnation at the local Target?

Liberal-minded cities are just more entertaining, that's all.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Are you kidding me??? Dude, it's the conservative cities that everyone's moving to!! Boise, Salt Lake, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, etc etc. The conservative city--with it's sane economic policy and family-friendly atmosphere is the place to be. There's a reason liberal cities like Detroit, San Francisco, Boston, etc, are losing people to conservative meccas in the south and southwest.
Dallas,Houston,and Atlanta are the top cities for homosexuals. Those cities I wouldn't exactly consider conservative or liberal.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas,Houston,and Atlanta are the top cities for homosexuals. Those cities I wouldn't exactly consider conservative or liberal.
Agreed. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all in conservative states, but the cities themselves are very blue.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all in conservative states, but the cities themselves are very blue.
very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City