Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times

Advertisements

Taboo2 - the South and Chicago both have very rich musical traditions. Rockabilly isn't 'nasty' at all, in fact, I've been to a few rockabilly shows over the course of my life and had a lovely time (also, as you are obviously not aware, rockabilly is alive and well in Chicago too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Two words -

Cain's Ballroom.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 AM

179 posts, read 199,601 times
Because if a city is conservative, you scare away the creative class and inhibit economic growth, making it an overall crappy place to live. Also, who wants to live someplace where conservative christians try to micromanage your personal life?

It's not so much that people dislike conservative cities because they're conservative - it's just all the negatives that go along with it. Tulsa has very little positive about it.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
yeah, and how long did you spend in any of them? About an hour?
I spent enough days in Tulsa and Oklahoma City to notice the crappy beer, ugly, cracked roads, meet people who'd rather stay at home than go out into the city, and I also saw this dull place called Bricktown.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Actually I was talking about Cheap Trick when I said Rich Musical History.
Ok, Taboo2.... stop helping

Cheap Trick is from Rockford, IL.

Chicago DOES have an amazing musical history, from the aforementioned Blues and jazz right up to today. Something for every taste, really. From Smashing Pumpkins to Kanye and Common to Disturbed to Jesus Lizard to Herbie Hancock.
Neko Case. Andrew Bird. Liz Phair. Fall Out Boy. Styx. Benny Goodman. Chali 2na.

Of course the band Chicago.... if you want to count that as a GOOD thing.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM

179 posts, read 199,601 times
Anyone who thinks Houston THE CITY is anything but liberal must be blind. Just like Dallas and Austin, it's liberal and votes dem in national elections.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:41 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
If the OP is referring to conservative city bashing on the forums itself, I'd imagine that the common posters here on CDF don't exactly represent a true cross section of the population and its opinions.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:38 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Because if a city is conservative, you scare away the creative class and inhibit economic growth, making it an overall crappy place to live. Also, who wants to live someplace where conservative christians try to micromanage your personal life?

It's not so much that people dislike conservative cities because they're conservative - it's just all the negatives that go along with it. Tulsa has very little positive about it.
scare away? they were never there in the first place. And that's just your opinion about Tulsa. I really liked the city. it was very family friendly

Old 08-12-2008, 03:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I spent enough days in Tulsa and Oklahoma City to notice the crappy beer, ugly, cracked roads, meet people who'd rather stay at home than go out into the city, and I also saw this dull place called Bricktown.
Actually, that's kind of a good thing. We don't need people of your ilk here. We're trying to keep OK a secret so it doesn't get crowded with people.

Guess that's why the population of the two primary metro areas grows at a pretty steady rate (about 6 percent since 2000). About the same as Minneapolis. Which I have been to. And which ain't much either.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I have to say after living in Portland these past 3 years, Im not sure Liberal cities are so great. Well maybe ones like here that call themselves Liberal but are really Radical Politics. I think many Liberals from elsewhere in the USA would be uncomfortable with Portlands so called Liberal ways. I know I am. Perhaps a place that is conservative or moderate but not to the point it is suffocating is a better choice. So I think we will hear more about conservative cities in the future as not being so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City