U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,565 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is more of a third party question, a couple of friends of mine have been planning to move to Santa Fe for months, but have recently started rethinking their decision mainly because they're not sure about the cost of living.

I suggested to them that they consider Seattle as an alternative but Im not sure that's good advice now after looking at some stats about SF. I know these cities are two different sizes but is Santa Fe the more affordable option out of the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM

332 posts, read 910,921 times
Santa Fe is as affordable as Seattle, if you exclude the higher housing costs and lower wages ;-}

Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,827,000 times
Seattle is more expensive.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 08-13-2008, 07:19 AM

908 posts, read 2,493,696 times
Obviously in this case HunaHonnaGirl is doing a favor for friends, but I always find these kind of debates interesting because I couldn't imagine more different cities to compare in the way of culture, sights, environment and local economics. It's like saying: "I'm going either go with the Escalade or the Corvette, depending on what Consumer Reports says about the road noise rating. I think there are people at all socio-economic levels in both communities making their way just fine. I think stats have a place as a reference tool but I'd recommend spending a long weekend in a place you were looking to move to. There's no comparing being able to drive around and get a feel for a place. It sounds mostly like HunnaHonnaGirl's friends have a bit of the jitters which is understandable given the size of the decision. My wife does this a lot with big decisions. The slightest tidbit of news rocks her emotional leanings about a topic one way or another. The truth is, news is just news. Half the time, they're reporting such huge generalizations that it's almost worthless anyway. Consider that if you're working/living anywhere in America, you're more comfortable than most of the rest of the people you're sharing the planet with.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:10 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,191,691 times
The major issue for Santa Fe is not so much the high cost of living, but the lack of opportunities for high paying jobs. You will find far more opportunity in Seattle, which is of course a big city.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,827,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
The major issue for Santa Fe is not so much the high cost of living, but the lack of opportunities for high paying jobs. You will find far more opportunity in Seattle, which is of course a big city.
Along with a lot more competition for said jobs.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM

At least there is something there to compete over.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 12,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
At least there is something there to compete over.
Exactly, I have been to Santa Fe and love it, but can you really find work there if you are not independently weathy, an artist, restaurateur, or all of the above?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM

You can. We also have doctors, lawyers, teachers and the like. There are just fewer of those than in other places. The jobs lacking in SF are in industry/technology. We do have a lot of jobs in food service, gift shops, hotel service and the like. Think tourism.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM

949 posts, read 2,883,564 times
If you lived in northern city or county, you could easily commute to Los Alamos which has technology jobs. But they are not doing much hiring right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City