U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM

172 posts, read 414,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
I lived in Metro Detroit for 22 of my 25 years (except when I went to college), and I can say that this quote is EXACTLY true.

The cost of living is higher here, though, so if the OP has a family (with kids) and a stable job they might want to consider staying in Detroit...the suburbs here are way more expensive as a whole...think of it is Oakland County everywhere you go (I'm from Wayne County, originally).
Actually, the south suburbs to me feels like a strange hybrid between Wayne & Macomb County and the cost of living there is somewhat cheaper than the rest of Chicagoland.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM

211 posts, read 320,573 times
Chicago has way much MORE of the same stuff, you find in Detroit...dining, entertainment, sports stadiums, shopping...etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
Ive read through and through that there is a ton of stuff to do in Chicago. I'm from Michigan, so I want to know what is different in Chicago from Detroit? I know the job market, and it is safer, those are obvious. But as far as going out and finding activities & using your leisure time, what can you do in Chicago that won't be found in Detroit?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM

23 posts, read 65,781 times
Default I really couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
I lived in Metro Detroit for 22 of my 25 years (except when I went to college), and I can say that this quote is EXACTLY true.

The cost of living is higher here, though, so if the OP has a family (with kids) and a stable job they might want to consider staying in Detroit...the suburbs here are way more expensive as a whole...think of it is Oakland County everywhere you go (I'm from Wayne County, originally).

As a single 25 Year Old, I couldn't fathom having "Royal Oak and Ferndale" as my only nightlife/dining/hip, cool places to be. I have lived in Chicago now almost 6 months, and I am still discovering new restaurants, bars, parks, etc.

Also, not having a car is a HUGE plus! I know zero people who live in Michigan who rely solely on public transportation. While taking the CTA is not always the fastest, you cannot compare the cost of a $75 unlimited bus/train pass to the cost of owning, insuring, maintaining, and fueling a car.

So yes, even with our 10.25% sales tax, I will take Chicago over Detroit or Metro Detroit anyday!

I agree also. I have lived IN Detroit for 27 years of my 28 year old life, and never once really felt connected or at home there. I can count on one hand How many times I've been to a bar or sit down restaurant with in the CITY of Detroit excluding the downtown area. I have been here for 6 months, and still find it hard to explore the while neighborhood I am in let alone the city as there is just so many new, bars, clubs, and restaurants. The CTA works pretty well, you can do a lot in one day also if you can afford a few cab rides you are golden, and just at the above post states you NEED your car in Michigan, here I broke the cardinal rule and sold my car here because I just didn't need. it.

By my calculations it would take a young person working an full time day job, around 3 to maybe 5 years to fully explore and know the whole city \ metro area.

The only bad thing I can say about Chicago, just as the above quote says is that Chicago is much like a large Royal Oak, or Ferndale, however this also means that manners are a bit lower. One strange phenomenon I noticed is that people in the city of Detroit have better manners in traffic, and just general interactions. (Bad manners will get you shot in Detroit.) However in Chicago people here are a bit more "uppity"

Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,020,967 times
Chicago...
That was easy

Old 03-04-2009, 04:00 PM

25 posts, read 55,574 times
The weather is terrible in both cities, so is the real estate market. Both cities are on the economic deathbed

Old 10-30-2010, 01:21 PM

3,569 posts, read 5,770,261 times
Detroit's mains streets have more strip mall/parking lot stores and restuarants type of look.

Detroit more family type homes with drive-ways...

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM

759 posts, read 1,619,184 times
Detroit suburbs are nicer than Chicago suburbs.

But Chicago city is nicer than Detroit city.

Overall, I prefer Detroit, because Michican overall is a MUCH nicer state. Illinois generally sucks.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 PM

759 posts, read 1,619,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petion2000 View Post
The weather is terrible in both cities, so is the real estate market. Both cities are on the economic deathbed
Unfortunately, this is probably true.

Chicago has lost more residents than any other U.S. city since 2000.

And Detroit has massive population loss.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:09 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times
^ lol, still on your martyr are you?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
I've been to Detroit and like that its making progress in reclaiming its urban core-my best to Detroit!

But Chicago is in a different league-and I mean that in the nicest way possible to Detroit. Chicago oozes and drips World Class from its waterfront to its downtown to its amenities such as entertainment, food(top shelf), shopping, culture, arts etc. It is one of the premier cities of the World and has all the bells and whistles that come along with that distinction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City