Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM

139 posts, read 501,370 times

Advertisements

Ive read through and through that there is a ton of stuff to do in Chicago. I'm from Michigan, so I want to know what is different in Chicago from Detroit? I know the job market, and it is safer, those are obvious. But as far as going out and finding activities & using your leisure time, what can you do in Chicago that won't be found in Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Well, people live in Chicago. This allows for activities & leisure to be had within city limits. I'd say that's probably the biggest difference, besides the lack of abandoned buildings with trees sprouting on top of them.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Well, since there is virtually nothing to do in Detroit, my answer would be everything.

Seriously though, no one could list all the things one can do in Chicago, (and in relative safety). You might want to read the "Girls from Michigan" thread.

Last edited by Anthera; 08-12-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 PM

88 posts, read 357,671 times
I, myself, am a bit of a skyscraper junky. In fact, I evaluate ratios like "skyscrapers per capita" and "tallest skyline" and "most 1000+ footers under construction" and "best bang for the buck" and "pro-business, pro-development" with a lot of weight. Granted, I am single, so I don't really concern myself with the obsession for 'burbs living and crime stats. To me, Chicago is the #1 city in the world and it's been a long time in the making, but I finally move there next week. In all seriousness, Chicago collects skyscrapers like Seattle collects Starbucks or Boston collects museums or Houston/LA collect freeways, so it would only make sense to be around a community where I would fit right in. If you like skyscrapers, you are in the right place...

Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM

172 posts, read 485,942 times
Im from Detroit, so I can answer this!

- You can bar-hop across the city without having to have a designated driver because we have plenty of taxicabs & mass transit.

- Biking on a world-class lakefront bikepath with stunning views of the city can be an everyday thing here.

- Dedicated bike lanes on city streets

- We have more museums then Detroit and there are more oppurtunities for cultural enrichment here

- More variety of professional sports (multiple baseball teams, soccer, lacrosse, ect.)

Thats what i come up with off the top of my head. Detroit is not as bad as they say, there are plenty of things to do there as well, its just not as much as here and it is more spread out.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post

- You can bar-hop across the city without having to have a designated driver because we have plenty of taxicabs & mass transit.

- Biking on a world-class lakefront bikepath with stunning views of the city can be an everyday thing here.

- We have more museums then Detroit and there are more oppurtunities for cultural enrichment here

- More variety of professional sports (multiple baseball teams, soccer, lacrosse, ect.)

Thats what i come up with off the top of my head. Detroit is not as bad as they say, there are plenty of things to do there as well, its just not as much as here and it is more spread out.
Good post!

But by "more spread out" do you mean "not really in the city of Detroit"

Old 08-12-2008, 10:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Chicago hasn't suffered NEARLY as much economic devastation as Detroit. Don't get me wrong, we do have a large ghetto and many people slip through the cracks, but Chicago (the city) has large liveable swaths with relatively low crime--and Detroit does not. Also, there are many white, Latino, and Asian people living in the city of Chicago--not just the suburbs. Detroit is over 90% black these days!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Chicago's head-on competitor is LA...and both are outranked by NYC and SiliconValley in wealth creation and IQ concentration....

Detroit, even in its heyday, never had an admirable economy....even 3-4 decades ago, they were engineering/building cars that many savvy consumers knew were inferior products w/dubious safety&reliability....

Michigan's only relevance is Univ-Mich Ann Arbor, a decent institution that competes w/U-Chic and UCLA in terms of alumni career achievement...many UM alums migrate to Chic post-graduation....

Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Chicago's head-on competitor is LA...and both are outranked by NYC and SiliconValley in wealth creation and IQ concentration....

Detroit, even in its heyday, never had an admirable economy....even 3-4 decades ago, they were engineering/building cars that many savvy consumers knew were inferior products w/dubious safety&reliability....

Michigan's only relevance is Univ-Mich Ann Arbor, a decent institution that competes w/U-Chic and UCLA in terms of alumni career achievement...many UM alums migrate to Chic post-graduation....
I couldn't agree with you more.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,943 times
Smile I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post

I lived in Metro Detroit for 22 of my 25 years (except when I went to college), and I can say that this quote is EXACTLY true.

The cost of living is higher here, though, so if the OP has a family (with kids) and a stable job they might want to consider staying in Detroit...the suburbs here are way more expensive as a whole...think of it is Oakland County everywhere you go (I'm from Wayne County, originally).

As a single 25 Year Old, I couldn't fathom having "Royal Oak and Ferndale" as my only nightlife/dining/hip, cool places to be. I have lived in Chicago now almost 6 months, and I am still discovering new restaurants, bars, parks, etc.

Also, not having a car is a HUGE plus! I know zero people who live in Michigan who rely solely on public transportation. While taking the CTA is not always the fastest, you cannot compare the cost of a $75 unlimited bus/train pass to the cost of owning, insuring, maintaining, and fueling a car.

So yes, even with our 10.25% sales tax, I will take Chicago over Detroit or Metro Detroit anyday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City