Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 10,835 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is nice, but the heat is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,118,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well you are from that area so it's not a suprise why you would prefer Austin since it's culturally in line with your thinking. For example, people from the west coast don't consider San Antonio, Dallas and Houston as cities with attractions when they are used to going to places like Vegas, Tahoe, LA, SF etc.

The commutes are terrible in Austin because their freeway system isn't developed. In Austin, the freeways don't connect and you have to exit at streets to connect from one freeway to another. They are trying to fix that but the construction isn't finished and it's made the problems worse. It's a journey just to find the airport there since it's location is so removed from the rest of the city.

There is nothing to do in the Hill Country. You can't go snow skiing and snow boarding there like you can in Flagstaff or Show Low. You can't really rock climb or hike like you can in Phoenix. Yes, they have access to some lakes.

"Live Music Capital" of the world is a misnomer. Austin labels themselves that because of the volume of acts not by popularity or quality. Yes, they have the most acts but they are the same acts (grunge and country) and most of them are pretty mediocre. Every place you go to has some cheap garage band playing a fusion of country and rock. Those type of acts wouldn't get stage time in any city in the west coast but in Austin, any guy with a guitar can play at some bar if he wanted to.
Its kinda narrow minded to say Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are not attractions to west coast people. I lived all around the valley from 35th ave to Mesa and back up north by Bell Rd. Many a folk have been to Texas and told me how they liked it.

As far as the freeways are concerned yeah Austin's do need a fix up. But they finished, as of 08 the Toll 130 and Texas 45 Toll. Austin is half the size of Phx so highways arent a big issue. The airport is fairly new, so thats why its a little removed to from the city, however cuts down on noise pollution.

There are alot of things to do in the Hill Country. Hike, bike, fish, camp, hunt, yes rock climb and more. You wont break the bank doin it, Lyndon B Johnson/Lake Travis/Walter Long parks with big lakes all within and 1hr dr.

Austin proclaims is self "Weird" not live music capital of the world. It gets due to the fact is host South x Southwest and Austin City Limits. Lots of famous singer, groups/musical talent has been discovered there. Austin City Limits, which everyone who listens to music has heard of, has had every genre of music available.

How long did u live in Austin again??

Old 10-11-2010, 02:59 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,258,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Its kinda narrow minded to say Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are not attractions to west coast people. I lived all around the valley from 35th ave to Mesa and back up north by Bell Rd. Many a folk have been to Texas and told me how they liked it.
No, it's just a reality. Sorry but Dallas, Houston and San Antonio doesn't compare to San Diego, LA and Las Vegas with regard to amenities. It's obvious you are just defensive of Texas and are resorting to a weak argument by even trying to make that comparison.

Quote:
As far as the freeways are concerned yeah Austin's do need a fix up. But they finished, as of 08 the Toll 130 and Texas 45 Toll. Austin is half the size of Phx so highways arent a big issue. The airport is fairly new, so thats why its a little removed to from the city, however cuts down on noise pollution.
That is just a weak excuse. Any city regardless of it's size needs working freeways. You don't need the existence of multiple freeways but at the very least, you need whatever freeways you have to connect to one another instead of exiting onto a street with a stop sign and then turning right to merge onto another freeway. That creates unnecessary congestion. It is simply poor planning on behalf of the city of Austin. Even Oklahoma City has a much better freeway system than Austin.

Quote:
There are alot of things to do in the Hill Country. Hike, bike, fish, camp, hunt, yes rock climb and more. You wont break the bank doin it, Lyndon B Johnson/Lake Travis/Walter Long parks with big lakes all within and 1hr dr.
Basically, there are lakes there. Sure, lakes are nice but you don't have mountains so the hiking isn't comparable to what you have here. You can't snow skii or snow board there. In Phoenix, you can drive to lakes and mountains and if you desire, you can even drive to the Pacific ocean and go to Malibu and real beaches on the weekend instead of a crappy beach like Galveston.

Quote:
Austin proclaims is self "Weird" not live music capital of the world. It gets due to the fact is host South x Southwest and Austin City Limits. Lots of famous singer, groups/musical talent has been discovered there. Austin City Limits, which everyone who listens to music has heard of, has had every genre of music available.
Austin proclaims both. I prefer the music scene in LA much moreso than Austin which I found to be pretty homogenous with it's grunge/blues/country feel. There is little rap, hip hop, ska, punk and electronic music there. In LA, you literally have everything. Phoenix doesn't have the same volume of musical acts that Austin has but I feel we have a little more diversity being that we are much closer to LA.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,316,367 times
I noticed that nobody mentioned the insect pests in Austin. Yes the Texas hill country is beautiful but here is the rest of the story. Chinch bugs (aka chiggers), hornets, africanized bees, fire ants, scorpians, trantulas, centipedes and wasps. And the tick problem is so acute - it deserves its own category.

Oh and LOL what was your experiences with cliques in high school? Are you ready to relive that as adults?
You will find that "restuarants" and "culture" don't mean a darn thing when you can't break the ice socially.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No, it's just a reality. Sorry but Dallas, Houston and San Antonio doesn't compare to San Diego, LA and Las Vegas with regard to amenities. It's obvious you are just defensive of Texas and are resorting to a weak argument by even trying to make that comparison.

That is just a weak excuse. Any city regardless of it's size needs working freeways. You don't need the existence of multiple freeways but at the very least, you need whatever freeways you have to connect to one another instead of exiting onto a street with a stop sign and then turning right to merge onto another freeway. That creates unnecessary congestion. It is simply poor planning on behalf of the city of Austin. Even Oklahoma City has a much better freeway system than Austin.

Basically, there are lakes there. Sure, lakes are nice but you don't have mountains so the hiking isn't comparable to what you have here. You can't snow skii or snow board there. In Phoenix, you can drive to lakes and mountains and if you desire, you can even drive to the Pacific ocean and go to Malibu and real beaches on the weekend instead of a crappy beach like Galveston.

Austin proclaims both. I prefer the music scene in LA much moreso than Austin which I found to be pretty homogenous with it's grunge/blues/country feel. There is little rap, hip hop, ska, punk and electronic music there. In LA, you literally have everything. Phoenix doesn't have the same volume of musical acts that Austin has but I feel we have a little more diversity being that we are much closer to LA.

Some things you state are true. LA, SD, and LV do have lots of aminites,so does Texas, but I stated Houston, Dallas, San Antonio do get tourist just like those cities. And keep in mind you dont have to leave Texas to get there. Austin's highways need improvement. But its not a sprawled out city, it covers less than 255k sq miles. While Phx covers over 500sq miles. So travel times arent the best but not as bad as Phx. Lakes close to Phoenix are?? Salt River is dirty. Any sane person knows it. You've LIVED in Texas right?? So you would know other beach cities like Padre Island, Port Aransas, and Courpus Christi. Austin's 6th street blows Mill Ave out the water! But then again you would know cause you have LIVED in Austin or Texas. How many times you been to L.A.'s music scene?? Been to Malibu beaches? Been to high end Vegas hotels?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM

@ AZRIVERFAN

New topic.....the Worst of Phx..

Meth capital of US
Idenity Thef/Car thef
Pedofiles
one of the worst economies in US
broke school system/broke state
high unemployment

Keep in mind this is not Austin vs Phx. Its giving the FACTs to someone who is deciding on what city it best for him/her.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:50 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,316,367 times
I don't know if the OP from Seattle cares about being able to go barefoot in the grass but they will not be doing much of that in Austin especially if they live out in Oak Hill, Westlake etc..
And they will learn quickly to check their shoes before pitting them on, to watch out for open vents - esp in bedrooms and too have really, really good screens on windows and doors. And they will learn the art of removing blood engorged ticks from their dogs (if they have any).
And has anyone told them about what winter "northers" are like? You know when the sky turns battleship gray and the temperature drops into the low 30s but with the wind-chill feels like it is in the teens?
LOL sunny winter days in Phoenix are nothing like that.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
@ AZRIVERFAN

New topic.....the Worst of Phx..

Meth capital of US
Idenity Thef/Car thef
Pedofiles
one of the worst economies in US
broke school system/broke state
high unemployment

Keep in mind this is not Austin vs Phx. Its giving the FACTs to someone who is deciding on what city it best for him/her.
This is not even worth responding to and I'm not going to waste my time disputing false information posted by a troll such as yourself. The Mods should remove your post as it is completely baseless. Furthermore could you at least spell "theft" right. It's not 'thef' Did you learn that at Austin public schools? Nonetheless

1. Missouri is considered to be the meth capital of the United States with the most meth lab confiscations. It is not Phoenix
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dai...ital_again.php

2. Phoenix is not ranked among the top 10 cities with auto theft.
http://www.familycarguide.com/blog/1...to-theft-rates

3. Pedophiles??? Nice, now you are just throwing terms out there.

4. Really, Phoenix was ranked the 2nd fastest growing economy 10 years ago. There is a reason Phoenix was the fastest growing city in the United States 5 years ago...a claim Austin couldn't make. Yes, it's poor right now but it's temporary

5. High unemployment? That's facing the rest of the nation as well. It's not unique to Phoenix

Nonetheless, continue enjoy living in Oklahoma and the dirty South. Sorry you can't afford to live in Phoenix

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-11-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Some things you state are true. LA, SD, and LV do have lots of aminites,so does Texas, but I stated Houston, Dallas, San Antonio do get tourist just like those cities.
Yeah, they get tourists from small towns in Texas but no one in their right mind would travel from the west to those cities for tourist activities. In fact, Phoenix gets tourists from Texas all the time but I don't know anyone here who would go to Dallas for a vacation since Phoenix has everything Dallas, San Antonio and Houston has and then some

Quote:
And keep in mind you dont have to leave Texas to get there. Austin's highways need improvement. But its not a sprawled out city, it covers less than 255k sq miles. While Phx covers over 500sq miles. So travel times arent the best but not as bad as Phx.
Phoenix is also 4 times as large as Austin so that also explains why it is far bigger

Quote:
Lakes close to Phoenix are?? Salt River is dirty. Any sane person knows it.
Lake Pleasant, and Canyon Lake are two but since you know nothing about Phoenix, it's not a surprise why you couldn't list any. Here are more
Arizona Lakes | Lake in Arizona | Canyon | Pleasant | Roosevelt | Apache | Saguaro | Mohave | Havasu

Quote:
So you would know other beach cities like Padre Island, Port Aransas, and Courpus Christi.
Yeah, except those beaches don't compare to anything in California and they are pretty far from Austin. Padre is your only decent beach and it's 5 hours from Austin. Sorry but I will take Malibu over Padre anyday and so would anyone else from a real city.

Quote:
Austin's 6th street blows Mill Ave out the water!
And Old Town Scottsdale blows 6th street away. At least we have Mill Avenue(the college scene). 6th street was quite trashy, it looked like a nicer version of Branson Missouri and it was a little too hick for me. What else do you have? Oh that's right...NOTHING...because Austin is basically the Univerity of Texas and nothing else

Quote:
How many times you been to L.A.'s music scene?? Been to Malibu beaches? Been to high end Vegas hotels?
Considering I go to Vegas and LA at least 6 times a year each, I would say more times than you've probably been outside of Texas. Again, if you lived in Phoenix, you would know it's pretty common for us to drive to Vegas or LA over the weekend.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM

37 posts, read 136,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
-Emerging urban scenes; check out Downtown Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, and Gilbert, Biltimore Area, Midtown Phoenix, Old town Scottsdale and Gilbert.
Gilbert is an emerging urban scene? That's a good one. LMFAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City