U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM

660 posts, read 1,190,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I don't know if the OP from Seattle cares about being able to go barefoot in the grass but they will not be doing much of that in Austin especially if they live out in Oak Hill, Westlake etc..
And they will learn quickly to check their shoes before pitting them on, to watch out for open vents - esp in bedrooms and too have really, really good screens on windows and doors. And they will learn the art of removing blood engorged ticks from their dogs (if they have any).
And has anyone told them about what winter "northers" are like? You know when the sky turns battleship gray and the temperature drops into the low 30s but with the wind-chill feels like it is in the teens?
LOL sunny winter days in Phoenix are nothing like that.
Good points! The Green that you'll find in Austin unlike the Desert scenery of Phoenix has bugs in the trees (as opposed to scorpions in Palm trees).

And having spent a Winter in Austin, I've seen it get rainy, cloudy and cold for a few days, then get into the 70's and Sunny then go back down to the 30's. I don't believe that Phoenix dips that much back and forth in the Winters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And Old Town Scottsdale blows 6th street away. At least we have Mill Avenue(the college scene). 6th street was quite trashy, it looked like a nicer version of Branson Missouri and it was a little too hick for me. What else do you have? Oh that's right...NOTHING...because Austin is basically the Univerity of Texas and nothing else
This I totally agree with. I don't "get" the appeal of 6th street. Maybe because I don't drink?

How far is Malibu from Phoenix in miles?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,858,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
This I totally agree with. I don't "get" the appeal of 6th street. Maybe because I don't drink?

How far is Malibu from Phoenix in miles?
I don't know the exact mileage but it takes me 6-6.5 hours to Malibu. San Diego is a lot closer. I've driven to San Diego from Phoenix in 4.5 hours.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know the exact mileage but it takes me 6-6.5 hours to Malibu. San Diego is a lot closer. I've driven to San Diego from Phoenix in 4.5 hours.
Thanks! I do like San Diego better. Malibu is pretty, but I feel more relaxed in SD.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:18 AM

932 posts, read 1,642,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmohr75 View Post
Gilbert is an emerging urban scene? That's a good one. LMFAO
I try to be funny hahaha. Of course the not the city as a whole but it's old town area is quite interesting.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,661,301 times
Quote:
Yeah, they get tourists from small towns in Texas but no one in their right mind would travel from the west to those cities for tourist activities. In fact, Phoenix gets tourists from Texas all the time but I don't know anyone here who would go to Dallas for a vacation since Phoenix has everything Dallas, San Antonio and Houston has and then some

Phoenix is also 4 times as large as Austin so that also explains why it is far bigger

Lake Pleasant, and Canyon Lake are two but since you know nothing about Phoenix, it's not a surprise why you couldn't list any. Here are more
Arizona Lakes | Lake in Arizona | Canyon | Pleasant | Roosevelt | Apache | Saguaro | Mohave | Havasu

Yeah, except those beaches don't compare to anything in California and they are pretty far from Austin. Padre is your only decent beach and it's 5 hours from Austin. Sorry but I will take Malibu over Padre anyday and so would anyone else from a real city.

And Old Town Scottsdale blows 6th street away. At least we have Mill Avenue(the college scene). 6th street was quite trashy, it looked like a nicer version of Branson Missouri and it was a little too hick for me. What else do you have? Oh that's right...NOTHING...because Austin is basically the Univerity of Texas and nothing else

Considering I go to Vegas and LA at least 6 times a year each, I would say more times than you've probably been outside of Texas. Again, if you lived in Phoenix, you would know it's pretty common for us to drive to Vegas or LA over the weekend.

List of things Phx dosent have.
The Metroplex( Dallas/Ft. Worth)= Transportation Hub, 4th largest metro in US, 23 Fortune 500 companies, Most billionaires in the US. Sportsssssss

Houston = Energy Capital of US, largest concentration of hospitals in the WORLD @ 47, and NASA is there too. Busiest seaport in the world

San Antonio = Medical Research leader, US known attractions: Riverwalk, Six Flags, Sea World Alamo, stong military presence.

Austin = Home to one of largest/most decorated universities in US, Dell and Wholefoods to name 2 are headquartered here, becoming a leader in biotech(ranks 12) and pharmaceutical industries.
HIGH TECH players in Austin: 3M, Apple Inc., Hewlett-Packard, Google, AMD, Applied Materials, Cirrus Logic, Cisco Systems, eBay/PayPal, Hoover's, Intel Corporation, National Instruments, Samsung Group, Silicon Laboratories, Sun Microsystems and United Devices. Ill already told you about music but here it is again: SXSW, Austin City Limits( the TV show with great guest)

OOoooo yeah, the great Formula 1 world racing league is due to start racing in 2012. The only American Formula 1 racing venue!! Track is already under construction. See ya on TV.

Phoenix is also 4 times as large as Austin so that also explains why it is far bigger

Yeah its 4 times bigger cause 8 of Arizona's 10 largest cities are in the valley. But that like sayin LA is 3 times bigger, cause its cities are all neighbors. Doesnt mean its better.

Austin Area Lakes: Walter Lake | Lake Travis | Lake Bastrop | Lake George | Canyon Lake | Lyndon B Johnson Lake | Lake Buchanan. And dont forget the Colorado River that flows through downtown Austin with at least 2 parks on either side. Not a dry river of dirt like the Salt River.

Tell me something about PHx beaches please. The reader if he/she wanted to do a Austin vs LA/Malibu then comment. Remember Austin or Phx. Stay on track plz.

Old Town Scottsdale. Are u SERIOUS?? Its like half the size of 6th street and closes up by the time the clock strikes 7pm. Besides, its just not 6th street, its also streets adjacent and parallel. 5th, San Jacinto and Lavaca streets. An all around atmosphere from the young teen to the mid 40 somethings can all find something to do. Again when did you live in Austin??

Again if you read my earlier post I lived in Phx for 3yrs just after I lived in Austin. And its not common for alot of Phx natives-if there are any- to goto those Cali cites more than once a year. You a great speaker for Cali, you should consider a move there since you like all Cali and have nothing to say about Arizona.

Last edited by FastFerrari; 10-13-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 PM

Look how great Downtown looks

More building to come.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,472,874 times
Quote:
List of things Phx dosent have.
The thread is Phoenix Vs. Austin. If you are going to include D/FW, San Antonio and Houston as "part of" Austin, than shouldn't LA, San Diego, Tucson, and Las Vegas be included with Phoenix?

Quote:
The reader if he/she wanted to do a Austin vs LA/Malibu then comment. Remember Austin or Phx. Stay on track plz.
Um, yeah, you should have listened to your own advice.

Quote:
Tell me something about PHx beaches please.
There are several nice lakes around Phoenix. Also, believe it or not, there is a coral reef only about an hour and a half from Phoenix.

Oh, what about mountains near Austin?....

Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,472,874 times
Quote:
Look how great Downtown looks
Design7 posted some really great pics of Phoenix recently. I'll see if I can dig them up....

Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
The thread is Phoenix Vs. Austin. If you are going to include D/FW, San Antonio and Houston as "part of" Austin, than shouldn't LA, San Diego, Tucson, and Las Vegas be included with Phoenix?

Um, yeah, you should have listened to your own advice.

There are several nice lakes around Phoenix. Also, believe it or not, there is a coral reef only about an hour and a half from Phoenix.

Oh, what about mountains near Austin?....
You might what to read some of the eariler post from me and AZriverfan to see the current forcast. AZfan included Cali cites and Vegas, I was simply stating to the reader whats around and in Austin. Believe me Ive been tryin to get him/her to focus on AZ cities or PHx local.

Coral reef Where?? I did goto the aquarium down Northern if Im not mistaken.

No mountians like White Tank or Piestua-if thats how u spell it. But the Hill Country is right next door and prime for hiking or off road biking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Design7 posted some really great pics of Phoenix recently. I'll see if I can dig them up....
Ive seen lots of shots of Phx downtown. But I really liked the view from Central & Indian School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City