U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs St Louis
Pittsburgh 143 64.13%
St Louis 80 35.87%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 AM

10,263 posts, read 10,016,282 times

Advertisements

Which one is more liberal ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,286,915 times
Pitt. beats SL by a mile

Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,056,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Here is a fresh one, I personally like both cities alot as they both were booming river cities in the past and then fell on hard times and have recently seen nice revitalization in their cores. What does everyone else think?
Overall, I would have to go with Pittsburgh.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 AM

2,418 posts, read 4,108,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
The Arch has to be the most disrespected monument in the country. Hands down has to be. I haven't been to Pittsburgh so I'm not going to pretend to know the first thing about it. This thread hasn't helped either.

I will say St. Louis is underrated and under-appreciated. Any national recognition the city is given, it earned, every bit of it. I don't know where to start, I guess I'll start with the Arch. Its all some people seem to know about St. Louis and so it tends to get disrespected wayyyy to often. It is truly a great monument and like it or not it makes the skyline pop and its as good a monument as any in this country.

This past March I was returning to St. Louis from Chicago via Amtrak and this elderly asian couple saw the skyline from across the Mississippi and they were completely in awe. I'm guessing they were foreigners and this was probably their first time in St Louis but their eyes lit up and they smiled.

It just reminded me of how easy it is to appreciate the Arch when you're not blinded with jaded cynicism. Its a great piece of architecture, I never tire of seeing it.

I just had to chime in and defend the arch. St. Louis is great. I just wish it had an NBA team.

Yes, the Arch is great. It should technically be in Pittsburgh, the original Gateway to the West, but it probably fits in with St. Louis' geography better. I still have never been to the top. There's an elevator that goes all the way to the top...that's sixty stories to you and me. (rep points for whomever can identify my backwards and paraphrased movie dialogue).

Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 AM

5,793 posts, read 10,639,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_genesis View Post
The Arch has to be the most disrespected monument in the country. Hands down has to be. ....

I just had to chime in and defend the arch. St. Louis is great. I just wish it had an NBA team.
Other than the Rams, the Cardinals and Budweiser Beer, The Arch is really the only other thing St. Louis is known for nationally.

It is a Beautiful and Spectacular Monument. Definitely worth the trip. But is kind of like putting an expensive frame on a crayon drawing.

Pittsburgh's fountain is pretty lame (imho). But Monuments do not make a city.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:41 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,158,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Which one is more liberal ?
In the 2008 election, Obama won St. Louis city by a landslide, St. Louis County by a substantial margin, and the St. Louis metro convincingly.

YouTube - Barack in St. Louis: "Wow"

Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 PM

20,177 posts, read 34,528,325 times
I prefer Pittsburgh over St. Louis.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Location: Terra, Earth, Dirt, Göteborg, Sverige, Scadinavia, N. Europa
75 posts, read 168,494 times
Perhaps no one on these data forums is single?

Which city is better for a single white guy, not ever married and childless, yet early forties, for dating? Louie or Pitt?

I'm from St. Louis and returned from living in the West in early 1999. Let me tell you. Dating in St. Louis is an effort of jumping off the Eads bridge and drowning in the filthy Mississippi. Single women rate you by your socio-economic standing before getting to know you whether in spite of a mutual attraction.

This did not happen in the SF Bay Area or Portland, OR.

I may have an opportunity to move to Pittsburgh, yet the anecdotal information on city-data and Web site like Urban Dictionary vary wildly to an extreme in favor or in severe disfavor or any city location.

A life without love and affection is simply not worth living.

Since living in St. Louis and now dog-awful Spokane, WA, the isolation is kills me.

I don't go to church and don't drink heavily enough. So churches and bars are out - now what?

I've been trying to get a career position in a West Coast city - San Francisco Bay Area, Portland, Seattle Puget Sound Area, and even the Vancouver BC (South BC lower mainland). These areas are far more convivial for a human secularist.

I'll request political asylum and go to Canada.

No seriously, Sweden is much better for that. I have the evidence to support an asylum request, so Sweden would let me in.

Ha-ha.

Huh.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 AM

1,520 posts, read 3,023,501 times
The central corridor of St. Louis is very vibrant, active and exciting. It really is a great place to be single!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,659,331 times
I love Pittsburgh's skyline & natural surrounding. I love hills, St. Louis has a good amount, but nothing like Pittsburgh. But I'd choose St. Louis over Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh's metro population is in decline.

The Pittsburgh MSA declined 3.13% from 2000 to 2009

The St. Louis MSA grew 4.83% from 2000 to 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...tistical_Areas

St. Louis city is even adding people too, reversing the trend. I wouldn't want to live somewhere that's booming (like Atl or Houston) but I also wouldn't want to live somewhere where the population is declining. This is the main factor that makes me choose St. Louis over Pittsburgh, other than that, I think they are both my kind of cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or