U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs St Louis
Pittsburgh 142 64.84%
St Louis 77 35.16%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,805 times

Advertisements

I'm from Youngstown Ohio, I moved down to southern IL 6 years or so ago. I grew in Y-town all my life until the move, so pardon me if I sound bias. BUT I've been to both cities a Lot, been to both zoos and all that. I LOVE Pittsburgh!!! You can't beat the people there. who cares about how many miles the city has, or structures... I've can say without a doubt Pittsburghers beat out St. Louis any day. I can list points, But that's not a necessity. When I go to the city, it's easy to talk to people, They LOVE their sports, They love to be social, and it seems that when you look at the city at night where the rivers meet, it's almost vegasesque. I read some moron said St. Louis had better food??? LOL That's a joke. I've eaten stake in both cities, and jerome bettis grille 36 plows over Mike Shannon's Steaks. It's not even comparable! not to mention the rest of the restraunts... think about this, Pittsburgh has a top 25 restraunts, All i could find is a notable top 10!
[url=http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/June-2010/25-BEST-Restaurants/]25 Best Restaurants - Pittsburgh Magazine - June 2010 - Pittsburgh, PA[/url]
LORD HAVE MERCY I can go on all day about it. Flat out I don't care about how much more office spaces st. Louis has, that's about all. They have a Lame amusement park. most people go to holiday world instead! either way its not worth comparing... people in st. Louis are rude... and more crime. Just give it up, no comparison. Hands on Pittsburgh wins. if you don't think so, research the two cities... then you'll see for yourself. later louis loosers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 AM

9,674 posts, read 8,567,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjason79 View Post
I'm from Youngstown Ohio, I moved down to southern IL 6 years or so ago. I grew in Y-town all my life until the move, so pardon me if I sound bias. BUT I've been to both cities a Lot, been to both zoos and all that. I LOVE Pittsburgh!!! You can't beat the people there. who cares about how many miles the city has, or structures... I've can say without a doubt Pittsburghers beat out St. Louis any day. I can list points, But that's not a necessity. When I go to the city, it's easy to talk to people, They LOVE their sports, They love to be social, and it seems that when you look at the city at night where the rivers meet, it's almost vegasesque. I read some moron said St. Louis had better food??? LOL That's a joke. I've eaten stake in both cities, and jerome bettis grille 36 plows over Mike Shannon's Steaks. It's not even comparable! not to mention the rest of the restraunts... think about this, Pittsburgh has a top 25 restraunts, All i could find is a notable top 10!
25 Best Restaurants - Pittsburgh Magazine - June 2010 - Pittsburgh, PA
LORD HAVE MERCY I can go on all day about it. Flat out I don't care about how much more office spaces st. Louis has, that's about all. They have a Lame amusement park. most people go to holiday world instead! either way its not worth comparing... people in st. Louis are rude... and more crime. Just give it up, no comparison. Hands on Pittsburgh wins. if you don't think so, research the two cities... then you'll see for yourself. later louis loosers.
K.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 AM

864 posts, read 1,177,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Pittsburgh really can't compare to St. Louis. St. Louis used to be a very big city in US, hosted both Olympics and world Expo and it shows. Many foreigners have heard about St. Louis and I bet 90% of them haven't heard of Pittsburgh. That aside, St. Louis also has more upscale neighborhoods, more high quality shopping and more fine restaurants. I see St. Louis often on various magazines and never once did I see Pittsburgh. But Pittsburgh has a prettier skyline. That's the only thing that it is better than St. Louis.
I'm sorry but this is just false.... many foreigners haev heard of STL?

How many places around the globe have you been? They have heard of NYC and LA... DC cuz of politics as well. After that they barely know cities that are much better then STL like San Francisco, Seatlte, and Boston... some MAY possibly recognzie the arch, but couldn't name the city it's in....

Same could be said for Pittsburgh as well.... I constantly find Americans who have never or only spent minimal time overseas overestimate how well known their city is....

Last edited by skrizzle; 08-31-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 11:34 AM

973 posts, read 1,028,645 times
as a native of philadelphia living in st. louis, i can chime in here with a more credible perspective. both cities are wonderful and are similar in many ways. both have great research universities and cultural institutions. having also lived in oslo, norway for a year, st. louis is better known because of its blues music scene, which ironically is more famous overseas than it is stateside. downtown pittsburgh is more vibrant and complete than downtown st. louis, but both cities have very comparable urban neighborhoods. st. louis is larger and has a more metropolitan feel as opposed to pittsburgh's more mountainous and isolated suburban areas.

overall it's a draw.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 PM

3,544 posts, read 4,817,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets616 View Post
Is this a joke?

St. Louis is kind of a crappy middle sized midwestern town.

Nothing special, and has seen it's hay day.
Both cities have their crappy areas and nice areas. Why pick on St. Louis? Pittsburgh has 311,647 and is losing population, while St. Louis has 354,361 and is growing. (And that doesn't even included St. Louis County which is a continuation of the city, but a separate entity, and has almost 1 million people) So if St. Louis is just a "crappy middle sized midwestern town" then Pittsburgh is an even smaller middle sized town somewhere in the hills.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,077,741 times
Only read the first and last couple of pages here but it seems most people get it that the two compare really well. I have never been to PGH but I would love to, it seems like my kind of city. Now what I can't figure out is how the poll numbers seem to reflect a strong preference for PGH while the people actually posting about it seem to be split.

I think there is more ignorance about St. Louis than most cities. The fact that it's in the midwest and not super close to other big cities the way Pittsburgh is probably leads people to make certain assumptions about it. That, and the fact that the city has a reputation as "dangerous" (way undeserved if you ask me).

Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 AM

973 posts, read 1,028,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets616 View Post
Is this a joke?

St. Louis is kind of a crappy middle sized midwestern town.

Nothing special, and has seen it's hay day.
1. st. louis is a larger city than pittsburgh.

2. st. louis is a larger metro than pittsburgh.

3. no, this is not a joke. what is a joke is that you take a condescending tone when referring to st. louis as "midwestern" and you live in texas, as if texas is somehow superior. that is the joke. your poor grammar and spelling doesn't help your argument either.

you live in texas, so whenever you call someplace "crappy," it's actually a compliment.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM

4,708 posts, read 4,732,910 times
Why does everyone on City vs City....equate Larger automatically equals the better city.....very few cities including St Louis are in a recovery a great as Pittsburgh....

as Well Pittsburgh loss of population of the recent decade is more so the Older Population (the steel mill retirees aka Yinzers) dying off faster than births are happening to replace them..its addition by subtraction....if you haven't seen the news lately, there are a lot less births happening now then even back in the 90's....Its not that people are fleeing the Burgh in great numbers because life is so much better elsewhere...actually 25-35 yr old's is where Pittsburgh is seeing its largest growth from inward migration....The city is becoming much more young and affluent as the old dies off and the uneducated are finding hard to make a living in the Burgh so they move elsewhere. Pittsburgh is becoming more like a Boston, SF, Seattle where its a Very Hard City for the uneducated, The work force of the Metro area is becoming high-skilled white collar.

Also Pittsburgh's unemployment is much lower than St Louis.....

Old 09-01-2010, 12:52 PM

915 posts, read 1,178,770 times
I havn't lived in St.Louis but I did live in Pittsburgh for a few years and this is what I found. If you arn't from Pittsburgh you are on the outside of things and its hard to be accepted by Pittsburghers. Of course that is true where ever you move to as a newcomer. But there were people who lived in Pittsburgh for over 20 years and compained that they just weren't accepted by the locals. People can argue as to the truth of this but I know its true. Its like you have to be born there to be in. Its almost inpossible to pick up the local dialect. I wonder if St.Louis is like that. Or are they more open to outsiders moving in.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:03 PM

419 posts, read 162,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Pittsburgh really can't compare to St. Louis. St. Louis used to be a very big city in US, hosted both Olympics and world Expo and it shows. Many foreigners have heard about St. Louis and I bet 90% of them haven't heard of Pittsburgh. That aside, St. Louis also has more upscale neighborhoods, more high quality shopping and more fine restaurants. I see St. Louis often on various magazines and never once did I see Pittsburgh. But Pittsburgh has a prettier skyline. That's the only thing that it is better than St. Louis.
I have read so much silly crap on this forum from so many posters that have nothing to do but spill useless opinions on the internet, but your post are beyond absurd. Especially when they are about my city. We get it, you don't like Pittsburgh. But the sad fact is, it sounds like you don't even know anything about the city that I have seen you bash over and over for the past few years I have read these forums. You just babble through ignorance and act as if you have some type of credibility when you have absolutley none. You say amazingly stupid things like, "I see St. Louis often on various magazines and never once did I see Pittsburgh." which is just beyond stupidity, especially when I could post over 100 different articles about Pittsburgh's resurgence in many major magazines and publications. You seem to just focus on past Pittsburgh stereotypes without a single ounce of knowledge on it's fashionable, shopping, high end neighborhoods, that a judgemental homosexual male like you would enjoy. You are the epidemy of all things wrong on the internet. Where some ignorant college aged kid goes online to pass knowledge on a area or people without any real background on what he spews. You are by far one of the most misguided posters that have been spewing garbage on this forum that I have read over the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City