Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs St Louis
Pittsburgh 144 64.29%
St Louis 80 35.71%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
It is sound business sense to be cordial to a paying customer. There's a difference between indifference and just plain rude and hostile behavior in people.
I agree. It sounds like the people you have to deal with need some customer service training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 PM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Pittsburgh seems more scenic and safer to me, but St. Louis is more exciting. I take St. Louis by the slimmest of margins, but I think both cities are fantastic and hope they're on their way to getting even better.

Also, whoever said St. Louis' literary figures need Mark Twain (and a stretch) to come out on top is dead wrong. St. Louis has been host to writers that have dominated American literature. You have the three heavyweights of Tennessee Williams, T.S. Eliot, and William S. Burroughs (each of them individually would be significant) followed by a host of lesser luminaries.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:55 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, whoever said St. Louis' literary figures need Mark Twain (and a stretch) to come out on top is dead wrong. St. Louis has been host to writers that have dominated American literature. You have the three heavyweights of Tennessee Williams, T.S. Eliot, and William S. Burroughs (each of them individually would be significant) followed by a host of lesser luminaries.
Didn't they all leave StL to become famous elsewhere? For that matter, Twain didn't get famous until he left Missouri, I don't think.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post

I do hate the drive between St. Louis and Kansas City.
We know. We have your license plate number and we throw up all those billboards and uncover all the potholes just for you. You're really gonna hate it when we re-route I-70 north of Columbia and there won't be any gas stations or even chain restaurants for miles and miles and miles and....

Seriously, it IS dreary, even for an interstate. And that's sayin' somethin'. But at least we locals know the secret places to pull off and get non-chain, decent food.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Pittsburgh is quite the interesting city and has been making great strides over the past few years at reinventing their economy. Pittsburgh and St. Louis share a number of similarities. I have never been to Pittsburgh, but it will be on my list of places to visit in the future.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,912,644 times
I think that these two cities are very comparable in almost all aspects. Both were once invested heavily in manufacturing and now have developed a very diverse economy. Both have managed to revitalize their downtown areas. I think STL edges PITT in the history department, music scene, and famous poets, authors, and musicians. My goal is to make it to Pitt in the next two years to learn more about it.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,167,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis definitely. St. Louis has a lot more going for it right now than Pittsburgh does. The city has a better housing situation, it is doing better economically, it is in a much more preferrable location than Pittsburgh. St. Louis is beginning to leave its Rustbelt identity behind, while Pittsburgh apparantly still seems stuck in the past.
(1) There really is nothing wrong with Pittsburgh's housing situation...we had no boom, we had no bust; housing is cheap and often times very nice. (2) Concerning location, I guess this is a matter of opinion, but I'd have to go with Pittsburgh all the way. I mean common! We're 6 hours or less to:

New York City
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Baltimore
Toronto
Detroit
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus
Buffalo

(3) How are we still stuck as a rustbelt city? Pittsburgh's economy shifted to education, health care, technology and finance long ago.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,167,256 times
Some of my favorites of Pittsburgh:

Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM

418 posts, read 1,275,575 times
Quote:
St. Louis definitely. St. Louis has a lot more going for it right now than Pittsburgh does. The city has a better housing situation, it is doing better economically, it is in a much more preferrable location than Pittsburgh. St. Louis is beginning to leave its Rustbelt identity behind, while Pittsburgh apparantly still seems stuck in the past.
better location? Pittsburgh you can make a day trip to NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, Monstreal, Philly, etc....

Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,275,575 times
Quote:
How it hasn't made a great impression on you is beyond me. Kansas City will never measure up to St. Louis in my opinion.
Cuz your opinion, like everyone is biased...

KC is far superior to STL... u guys have a nice half mcdonalds logo... wee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City