U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs St Louis
Pittsburgh 143 64.13%
St Louis 80 35.87%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,613,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Cuz your opinion, like everyone is biased...

KC is far superior to STL... u guys have a nice half mcdonalds logo... wee
KC, first off, is irrelevant to this topic, and second off, KC is inferior to STL when it comes to comparing metro areas. KC has all of Jackson County. St. Louis has a mere 60 square miles in its city limits..its city sprawl continues into St. Louis County. St. Louis City and St. Louis County together are more appropriate to call one city, because St. Louis County is more like a continuation of St. Louis Citiy than just mere suburbs. KC has a nice downtown skyline not much larger than St. Louis and is slightly newer...it is nowhere near as urban as St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,613,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
better location? Pittsburgh you can make a day trip to NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Boston, Monstreal, Philly, etc....
You can get pretty much anywhere in the country from St. Louis in three days. St. Louis is geographically smack dab in the middle of the United States. Pittsburgh is not.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM

419 posts, read 1,142,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
KC, first off, is irrelevant to this topic, and second off, KC is inferior to STL when it comes to comparing metro areas. KC has all of Jackson County. St. Louis has a mere 60 square miles in its city limits..its city sprawl continues into St. Louis County. St. Louis City and St. Louis County together are more appropriate to call one city, because St. Louis County is more like a continuation of St. Louis Citiy than just mere suburbs. KC has a nice downtown skyline not much larger than St. Louis and is slightly newer...it is nowhere near as urban as St. Louis.
You brought up KC... I responded. Inferior to STL when comparing metros? LOL What based on population cuz we are 2 mil and your 2.8? woopty doo.

Urban KC is superior to urban STL. More people in our urban areas, more people downtown, more things to do in those areas... etc. Your downtown is trying to revitalize, but still meh... you guys need to keep tryin maybe one day youll catch up son

Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,106,672 times
Quote:
You can get pretty much anywhere in the country from St. Louis in three days. St. Louis is geographically smack dab in the middle of the United States. Pittsburgh is not.
But the point they were making is that you can get to almost half the country (including some of its finest big cities) from Pittsburgh in LESS than ONE day. You can get anywhere from anywhere in 3 days.

I'm not knocking St. Louis, though. I'm not familiar enough with it.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,531,975 times
Skrazzle is just showing her inferiority complex most KC folks have towards STL and loves to highjack any thread about STL. STL is a great urban city with a ton to offer.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,443,003 times
Quote:
That is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. St. Louis a larger version than Kansas City? And it does have decent barbeque...ever hear of St. Louis style barbecue? Six Flags the McDonald's of Theme Parks? You're cracking me up already. I don't think you are aware of some of the new coasters that have been added here. I think you are simply just out to put down St. Louis. The city proper for St. Louis is gaining population in college students as well....a lot of redevelopment is taking place here as well. St. Louis has the Central West End, something Pittsburgh can't match, it's got a suburban downtown and its businesses blanket the entire metropolitan area in addition to the city. As far as culture goes, STLBlues1989 pretty much summed it up in a nutshell. St. Louis also has food Pittsburgh can't match, it has the Hill, it has two of the greatest rivers in America that meet near it, it also has the Ozark foothills that start in the southwestern and southern parts of its metro area...so don't tell me that St. Louis is just another version of Kansas City. You have clearly never been to St. Louis. And when Pittsburgh's sports teams start winning something, I'm sure I'll be long gone. It astonishes me that 25 out of 12 favor Pittsburgh....that is truly narrow minded thinking at its best.
How shall I first retort to this ignorance? Perhaps it would be best to inform you that Pittsburgh has a better university scene than St. Louis. At least according to U.S. News, St. Louis' ranked universities include: (12) Washington University and (80) St. Louis University. Pittsburgh, however, feature: (22) Carnegie Mellon University, (58) University of Pittsburgh, (130) Duquesne University; according to The Times Higher Education, Carnegie Mellon ranks 21st in the world. I'll get the citations for you:

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

QS Top Universities: Top 200 universities in the THE - QS World University Rankings 2008

Next, let's talk about the economy. Pittsburgh has gathered itself very well since the collapse of the steel industry; reorganizing in fields of Health Care (of which Pittsburgh has a slightly better Children's Hospital, St. Louis has a slightly better general hospital), education, technology (the Wall Street Journal called Pittsburgh the top robotics city in the world outside of Japan and name it one of top 10 tech hotbeds), and finance (PNC Bank is now the 5th largest bank in the U.S., and although, St. Louis has overcome Pittsburgh in corporate headquarters, for 50 years Pittsburgh stood third after NYC and Chicago). See citations below:

Best Children's Hospitals - US News and World Report

washingtonpost.com

PNC Bank, Nation's Third-Largest ATM Provider, Signs Turkey Hill

Though what really makes me laugh is that it would seem by this source, that Pittsburgh has a higher per capita metropolitan economic output. It claims that St. Louis metro produces $118.3 billion in 2.8 million, while Pittsburgh produces $106.5 billion in 2.4 million! Very interesting indeed for such a lowly decrepit city.

BEA : Gross Domestic Product by Metropolitan Area

Next, let's talk about how Pittsburgh is consistently ranked as the most livable city in the U.S. This past year it was even ranked number 1.

Pittsburgh rated 'most livable' once again

Apparently Forbes prefers us over St. Louis for young professionals:

In Depth: Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

....And it's one of the cleanest cities in the world!

In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes.com

But oh, no! Pittsburgh is ranked as the 61st most dangerous city in the U.S. while St. Louis gets ranked 4th! BTW, Pittsburgh is the safest of the top 25 metropolitan areas.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf

Well at least someone thinks Pittsburgh has the second most beautiful place in America.

10 most beautiful places in America :: Annual Travel Report :: USA WEEKEND Magazine (http://www.usaweekend.com/03_issues/030518/030518springtravel.html - broken link)

Seriously though, I could go on and on with this stuff; but I'd rather continue to dispel ignorant posts....
Let me see, where was I, oh yes...Pittsburgh has quite a few college students as well, with approximately 100,000 in Allegheny County and nearly 30 universities in the metro area. In case you weren't watching last season the Penguins made Stanley Cup finals and the Steelers won the Super Bowl...again!

Ever hear of the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium? The National Aviary? Kennywood Amusement Park? Idelwild Amusement Park? Sandcastle Water Park? How about the Carnegie Museum of Natural History? Carnegie Museum of Art? Andy Warhol Museum? But you're totally right man, Pittsburgh doesn't have a zoo or amusement parks or any culture for that matter. We also have a world famous symphony and two opera companies.

Apparently you've never heard of outdoor retreats like McConnell's Mills, Ohiopyle, the Laurel Highlands, Presque Isle; or resorts like Seven Springs or Nemacolin Woodlans. Oh well, guess you didn't realize we're 1.5 hours from Lake Erie, 20 minute flight to the Chesapeake Bay and 6 hours or less to: New York City, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Toronto, Baltimore, Buffalo, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Cincinnati. We ain't that far from the Jersey shore or Virginia Beach either...and Niagara Falls!

Let me also educate you on the demographics of Pittsburgh. In the 1980s Pittsburgh lost 150,000 steel jobs. With this catastrophe, people were forced to leave the city to seek employment in more lucrative cities. This means that all these working adults had children elsewhere, and Pittsburgh therefore lost nearly an entire generation of young people with many old people left. Today Pittsburgh's population decline is primarily due to these old people dying faster than youth can be born...a trend that should even out soon. The population decline has little to nothing to do with Pittsburgh having a "terrible economy" as we have one of the highest retention rates of young people of any major U.S. city.

So, please explain to me how you can say nothing good about Pittsburgh?

I know one thing I can say about it...it's architecture is fantastic:

BTW, your arch is made out of Pittsburgh steel.

Last edited by ainulinale; 03-24-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,231,745 times
And a lot of the country is probably made of St. Louis Brick. A lot of the world drinks St. Louis beer.

As far as crime, generally (from my understanding) St. Louis is no less safe than other major cities. St. Louis is 62 square miles. I understand Pittsburgh is slightly smaller. St. Louis city also has a large amount of land on the North Side, which is generally more dangerous. It seems to me that kind of causes an unbalance in the crime numbers. And Downtown has gotten much better the last 10-15 years.

Those pictures are beautiful. I've never been to Pittsburgh myself. But St. Louis is also very beautiful. I have nothing bad to say about Pittsburgh. I don't think either is better. Both are obviously different.

Quote:
Ever hear of the Pittsburgh Zoo?
I'm sure it's a fine zoo. St. Louis Zoo is one of the best in the country, and completely free (food costs money of course).
Here's some threads of St. Louis pics (give them time to load) I don't want to post them here since I do not own them, and it slows down the thread.
Urban St. Louis - View topic - STL visit Part Six :: Is it the South Side? (http://urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4430 - broken link)
Urban St. Louis - View topic - My visit to STL in April: Part One :: downtown at sunrise (http://urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4279&start=0 - broken link)
Urban St. Louis - View topic - Saint Louis in August :: 40 photos of the Central West End (http://urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4512&start=0 - broken link)
Urban St. Louis - View topic - Saint Louis in August :: Soulard (http://urbanstl.com/viewtopic.php?t=4506 - broken link)

Both cities are beautiful. Don't sell St. Louis short.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:36 AM

1,694 posts, read 4,954,993 times
Pittsburgh

Old 03-25-2009, 04:46 PM

We have quite a diverse economy as well with the surge in financial, health care, education, and biotech jobs. St Louis is sometimes referred as the financial center of the midwest.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2009/02/02/story2.html

Our architechture is right up there with any city in the country. Enjoy

Urban St. Louis - View topic - Urban Missouri east - Saint Louis (http://www.urbanstlouis.com/urbanstl/viewtopic.php?t=6086&start=0 - broken link)

Old 03-25-2009, 04:47 PM

You will see a lot of simularities in architecture in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or