Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs St Louis
Pittsburgh 144 64.29%
St Louis 80 35.71%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_HillBilly View Post
I have read so much silly crap on this forum from so many posters that have nothing to do but spill useless opinions on the internet, but your post are beyond absurd. Especially when they are about my city. We get it, you don't like Pittsburgh. But the sad fact is, it sounds like you don't even know anything about the city that I have seen you bash over and over for the past few years I have read these forums. You just babble through ignorance and act as if you have some type of credibility when you have absolutley none. You say amazingly stupid things like, "I see St. Louis often on various magazines and never once did I see Pittsburgh." which is just beyond stupidity, especially when I could post over 100 different articles about Pittsburgh's resurgence in many major magazines and publications. You seem to just focus on past Pittsburgh stereotypes without a single ounce of knowledge on it's fashionable, shopping, high end neighborhoods, that a judgemental homosexual male like you would enjoy. You are the epidemy of all things wrong on the internet. Where some ignorant college aged kid goes online to pass knowledge on a area or people without any real background on what he spews. You are by far one of the most misguided posters that have been spewing garbage on this forum that I have read over the past few years.
Careful now. He says he's lived in Pittsburgh before, and apparently he couldn't find any good-looking women, etc. In other words, he would have fit in perfectly on The Pittsburgh Channel back when they had message boards.

Oh well, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:29 PM

419 posts, read 448,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Careful now. He says he's lived in Pittsburgh before, and apparently he couldn't find any good-looking women, etc. In other words, he would have fit in perfectly on The Pittsburgh Channel back when they had message boards.

Oh well, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
There are dozens of trolls on these boards that blame Pittsburgh for not being able to find women. I thought fasionguy stated many times he was gay, not that I care, but just that maybe you are thinking of somebody else. There was another douche that I got a suspension for a month ago that I called out for saying that all Pittsburgh women were ugly or something childish like that. He claimed to live here before.

Besides, I know what you are talking about with the Pittsburgh channel message boards. I hate those single people threads you get on internet forums. I said it many times on the Pittsburgh forum on this site. They are always skewed by people who couldn't get laid anywhere, so they go online and blame it on the city they live in. There are people who have no confidence when it comes to women in every city and can't get laid, then they go online and whine about the city they live in. There is a reason some people can't get a woman. If you are crying about how the city you live in doesn't have a women for you on the internet then you are suppose to be by yourself every night.

Anyways, I drive, or walk from Shadyside to Squirrel Hill every day. I can't get over the amount of beautiful 20-30 something women I see on every single block. It is about as good as when I went to college in Penn State. Well, not that good. It is hard to get better than most hot chicks per square mile than PSU, but the East end of Pittsburgh does well.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_HillBilly View Post
There are dozens of trolls on these boards that blame Pittsburgh for not being able to find women. I thought fasionguy stated many times he was gay, not that I care, but just that maybe you are thinking of somebody else. There was another douche that I got a suspension for a month ago that I called out for saying that all Pittsburgh women were ugly or something childish like that. He claimed to live here before.

Besides, I know what you are talking about with the Pittsburgh channel message boards. I hate those single people threads you get on internet forums. I said it many times on the Pittsburgh forum on this site. They are always skewed by people who couldn't get laid anywhere, so they go online and blame it on the city they live in. There are people who have no confidence when it comes to women in every city and can't get laid, then they go online and whine about the city they live in. There is a reason some people can't get a woman. If you are crying about how the city you live in doesn't have a women for you on the internet then you are suppose to be by yourself every night.

Anyways, I drive, or walk from Shadyside to Squirrel Hill every day. I can't get over the amount of beautiful 20-30 something women I see on every single block. It is about as good as when I went to college in Penn State. Well, not that good. It is hard to get better than most hot chicks per square mile than PSU, but the East end of Pittsburgh does well.
Pittsburgh does seem to be a convenient scapegoat for miserable people. It's like the city is somehow at fault for everybody's personal shortcomings. Makes no damn sense to me. Besides, like Harvey Danger once said, "if you're bored, then you're boring."

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
i don't think any city gets as undeserved a bad rap on this forum as st. louis does.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i don't think any city gets as undeserved a bad rap on this forum as st. louis does.
I'd disagree with that. If anything, St. Louis seems to be more ignored than anything else, like Baltimore, Buffalo and Milwaukee. It seems to me that cities like Atlanta, Houston and Philadelphia get more undeserved **** than St. Louis does.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 PM

126 posts, read 304,474 times
I vote Pittsburgh. Sorry St. Louis

Old 09-03-2010, 08:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
I'd disagree with that. If anything, St. Louis seems to be more ignored than anything else, like Baltimore, Buffalo and Milwaukee. It seems to me that cities like Atlanta, Houston and Philadelphia get more undeserved **** than St. Louis does.
I am thinking there are a number of cities that tend to be ignored. One common trait are places that are recovering and haven't gotten noticed for it yet. Oftentimes when they are mentioned outdated notions tend to show up where people think nothing has changed since 1985 or so.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I am thinking there are a number of cities that tend to be ignored. One common trait are places that are recovering and haven't gotten noticed for it yet. Oftentimes when they are mentioned outdated notions tend to show up where people think nothing has changed since 1985 or so.
Like when people claim that a city is "behind the times" when really, the only thing that's behind the times is that person's perception of the city.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
Quote:
Like when people claim that a city is "behind the times" when really, the only thing that's behind the times is that person's perception of the city.
Generally that is the perception of almost all of the older industrial cities. At this point almost all have stabilized in terms of decline.

I am thinking honestly that both cities are similar but Pittsburgh is a few years further along in redevelopment due to having to do so sooner. Other big difference is metrowide the growth rate and age distribution requires having to reinvent itself moreso than most places.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,318 times
Unhappy Moving from the Lou to the Burgh

I have lived in St Louis for the last 3 years and am about to move to Pittsburgh, and I can say that St Louis is one of the best places I've ever lived in my life. I've lived all over the country too, including the north east, the south and California, but the people, the weather and the cost of living are all SO much better in St Louis than anywhere I've ever lived. I work for a fabulous company too that has every amenity possible and takes really good care of their employees and offers a great work/life balance, so that may be a reason why I've had such a perfect experience in St Louis. I'm really, really sad to leave, but it's interesting to read everyone's opinions about Pittsburgh and what it has to offer. We’re moving because my husband got a fabulous job offer which would allow me to be a stay at home mom with our 4 month old son.

I will however give a small shout out for St Louis. So many of the attractions are free here, which is not true of most other cities in the country. Also, I find the people to be the nicest I've ever met, I am definitely not a native of this area and my family and I were immediately regarded with such respect and care by the locals, we made friends for life almost immediately - most of our friends here are like family to us. My husband and I are both foodies, and St Louis has some AMAZING restaurants, but that's not to say that you can't find similar food elsewhere. But the fact that The Lou is a "20 minute city" and there's virtually no traffic does help. Now, of course on the negative side, St Louis is not the safest city, and there are a TON of jay walkers, which gets to be really annoying during the morning commute. Plus the air quality is kind of low, but not nearly as bad as LA or Phoenix.

I’d love to hear from anyone who lived in St Louis and moved to Pittsburgh who were not natives to either city. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City