U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,074,428 times
If in financial industry, prob a bad career move to leave NYC for Phila...

If not..and of moderate income, would argue eastern Cherry Hill, NJ offers some of highest std of living in US for a middle-class guy....lots of newer <$1MM houses; excellent, safe public schools; easy 35min drive (even in rush hr) into Center City; crime of Camden area buffered by western CH which is distant from the newer, more insulated-from-crime strip shopping of Marlton, etc...

Probs w/Phila suburbs (incl MainLine) can include higher home prices; many slummy areas (and crime risks) in the various suburban downtowns; weak, unsafe public schools; ?issues w/Phila wage tax; and more difficult drives into CC given the weak fwy network...

NYC's most comparable analogy to CH is prob Scarsdale....some newer tear-down houses; excellent public schools; and an easy ?35min drive into Manhattan (if one arrives at office <7AM)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM

347 posts, read 758,695 times
I think that Philadelphia is a much cooler city than New York City.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
Which city do you like better: Philadelphia or New York? Why?
I like both -- I like

NYC's diversity, people from all over the planet and different paths of life *** i.e. same party same place and u would meet smart and interesting people, from a cartoonist to a stock broker, a U professor to an entrepreneur, etc

Philadelphia's Quality of Life, less noise, bigger apts, less people at the movies, sidewalks, easier parking, easier shopping, etc.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM

Philly has many stock brokers, lawers, U professors too. (Just not as many). NYC has a lot of cool architecture and culteral aspects.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:21 PM

7,652 posts, read 11,029,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
....Probs w/Phila suburbs (incl MainLine) can include higher home prices; many slummy areas (and crime risks) in the various suburban downtowns; weak, unsafe public schools; ?issues w/Phila wage tax; and more difficult drives into CC given the weak fwy network...
I respect your opinion on most of what you said including some of this that I quoted. But I'm wondering if you could be more specific about which suburban towns features slummy downtown and weak, unsafe schools. Granted, even I can think of some obvious examples (Norristown and Chester) but are you trying to say that this is the norm and not the exception?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM

1,583 posts, read 2,893,886 times
To me emerging from Penn Station in Manhattan is like landing on another planet. I don't get that feeling in Philly.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
To me emerging from Penn Station in Manhattan is like landing on another planet. I don't get that feeling in Philly.
Arriving in 30th Street Station in Philly is so much grander than Penn Station. Although, Pennsylvania Station in NY was at one time grander than Grand Central Station until the Pennsylvania Railroad razed the old station to allow for the construction of Madision Square Gardens and the newer Penn Station.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM

6,972 posts, read 11,706,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremontpa View Post
Arriving in 30th Street Station in Philly is so much grander than Penn Station. Although, Pennsylvania Station in NY was at one time grander than Grand Central Station until the Pennsylvania Railroad razed the old station to allow for the construction of Madision Square Gardens and the newer Penn Station.
i think he was referring to walking up the steps to 34th street. its a bit chaotic over there..

Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I respect your opinion on most of what you said including some of this that I quoted. But I'm wondering if you could be more specific about which suburban towns features slummy downtown and weak, unsafe schools. Granted, even I can think of some obvious examples (Norristown and Chester) but are you trying to say that this is the norm and not the exception?

Yes, I don't agree with this, either. People move to SE PA for schools and standard of living, among other reasons. (Absolutely there are some "slummy" areas, such as Norristown and much of the eastern portion of Delco).

Old 08-22-2008, 04:34 AM

537 posts, read 843,268 times
I've been visiting both NYC and PHL all my life and lived in Boston. I formed my opinions from the rapid transit systems each city offers, and the amount of museums and galleries available. Personally, I find Boston and Philadelphia to be "sister cities" and New York beyond compare. Where else in the U.S. can you wander through the night and all of a sudden see Mr. Peanut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City