U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:59 PM

65 posts, read 245,654 times

Advertisements

Which city do you like better: Philadelphia or New York? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,753,491 times
oh boy - i smell trouble

Old 08-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Well, I'll get the ball rolling then. I'm certainly not looking for trouble, but I have two job offers -- one for each city, with the pay in New York higher, but not really that much higher when cost of living is taken into account. I've lived and worked in both cities, and I prefer Philly. With all due respect to New York, which is a great city, it's just too crowded and it is the epitome of the rat race. Also, there are many great suburbs (Bucks County, Main Line) that are within great commuting distances to the city. The suburbs around New York are quite crowded.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,753,491 times
oh ok, that one's easy. if you're factoring in cost of living, i'll definitely go with Philly. my wife and i moved to Philly from Manhattan a few years ago because housing was a nightmare and we just recently got married and needed a little more space. we were able to get a 2000 sq foot home in Queen Village (which i consider Center City) for a virtual bargain. of course, we didn't factor in the boroughs, but the desirable parts are almost as expensive as Manhattan anyway..

is there more to do in NYC? absolutely. but you can always hop a train. and Philly's pretty cool in its own way. there a good scene here, especially in Center City. i'm sure you know that.

personally, i loved the crowds. it was the traffic that killed me slowly..

Old 08-18-2008, 03:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,212,256 times
We were just in NYC this weekend, visiting friends who will be moving to Philly next year.
Also, we just moved here from Hoboken, so spent a lot of time in the city.

My take is this; Manhattan is ok if you are REALLY loaded. As in multi, multi millionaire loaded. It's too big for me, and too crowded. I could love it if I could afford a $10 Million dollar row home on the upper East or West sides, but otherwise... it's just not for me. Way too many tall buildings, no light and Central Park is the only accessible green space.

It is so much bigger than Philly that there is almost no comparison, but for myself I prefer Philly to NYC.

My husband wanted to move into New York from Hoboken, but I absolutely wouldn't do it. Philly I am very happy to live in. It's a significant city, with city stuff to do, but manageable and walkable. I think it's great.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
I lived in NY (LI, Westchester, Queens, Manhattan) for 20 years before moving to Philly 18 years ago and there is no question that Philly standard of living is much higher. IMO the only thing NY offers that is superior to Philly is Broadway which doesn't interest me.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I lived in NY (LI, Westchester, Queens, Manhattan) for 20 years before moving to Philly 18 years ago and there is no question that Philly standard of living is much higher. IMO the only thing NY offers that is superior to Philly is Broadway which doesn't interest me.
Can you explain why the standard of living is higher? Are you referring to cost of living, or also the slower pace of life, etc?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,318,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
Can you explain why the standard of living is higher? Are you referring to cost of living, or also the slower pace of life, etc?
Yes the cost of living. I have always lived much better here then I did in NY. Also I have never felt the pace of life was any slower here, even though it is less stressful. After all these years I still find Philly a pretty exciting place.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,754,019 times
Definitely more bang for your buck here. Didn't you know Philly is the new Brooklyn?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 AM

13,301 posts, read 7,290,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Police View Post
As you said, you can more easily affored a home in suburban Philly within an easy commute to Center City. That is not possible in the NYC area. In addition, you can get to the "country" within a 45 minute drive of the city. Some of these more rural areas have become urban sprawl, but there are still some remnants of the country life close by to Philly. I was just there to visit and stayed with friends in Blue Bell, Montco. Even though that area is very suburbanized you can still find horse farms and open space in the area. Same for Chester County especially west of Downingtown/Exton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or