U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
That's quite harsh, don't you think?
Lived in one, visited the other many times. Neither have earned a place on my "must visit again by choice" list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM

1,762 posts, read 3,050,841 times
Quote:
Ok, we must not be getting what I am trying to say here, so lets try again...

Where are links, facts, etc that say it is the largest on the planet, single-day event out there? Word of mouth is one thing, as is personal opinion, other than that, I am not buying that BS.
Well based on these websites it is:
World's Largest Sporting Crowds

Indianapolis 500: Largest Single Day Sporting Event in the World | The Indiana Insider Blog

I'll try to look for more credible links if I can find them.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:14 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,778,414 times
Neither

Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:
Ok, we must not be getting what I am trying to say here, so lets try again...

Where are links, facts, etc that say it is the largest on the planet, single-day event out there? Word of mouth is one thing, as is personal opinion, other than that, I am not buying that BS.
There are 257,325 fixed seats at IMS according to this article:

USATODAY.com - Take a seat: Study puts Indy's capacity at 257,325

You add to that the number of people in the infield, and attendance swells into the 350,000 to 400,000 range. They don't manually count all of those people that file into the infield.

This snippet from the Washington Post referneces the 400,000 figure:

Washingtonpost.com: Indianapolis 500 Facts, Figures and Records

Here is a snippet from CBS Sports:

Crowd -- Estimated at up to 400,000. Speedway never discloses attendance but admits to more than 250,000 reserved seats in permanent stands and room for 100,000 or more in the infield.

2010 Indianapolis 500 facts and figures - Auto Racing - CBSSports.com Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Trucks

There is a lot of "BS" for you to sort through here.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,995,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
There are 257,325 fixed seats at IMS according to this article:

USATODAY.com - Take a seat: Study puts Indy's capacity at 257,325

You add to that the number of people in the infield, and attendance swells into the 350,000 to 400,000 range. They don't manually count all of those people that file into the infield.

This snippet from the Washington Post referneces the 400,000 figure:

Washingtonpost.com: Indianapolis 500 Facts, Figures and Records

Here is a snippet from CBS Sports:

Crowd -- Estimated at up to 400,000. Speedway never discloses attendance but admits to more than 250,000 reserved seats in permanent stands and room for 100,000 or more in the infield.

2010 Indianapolis 500 facts and figures - Auto Racing - CBSSports.com Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Trucks

There is a lot of "BS" for you to sort through here.
Yeah, still not buying that BS...

Sorry to get off topic here, but weren't you the poster who downgraded Ohio in the one thread? I can't remember the name of it, just curious though.

Anyway, I have seen your posts, and to you Indianapolis and Indiana are the end-all, be-all of your world, so I guess it is expected from your posts to get into internet debates if people see the two differently than you do. I like Indianapolis a lot, it is home, but you sugarcoat it like there is no tommorow.

Just an observation. Now continue your flamewar.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,995,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Lived in one, visited the other many times. Neither have earned a place on my "must visit again by choice" list
Fair enough, but both are underrated.

St. Louis blows Indy out of the water in almost any category, though. Guess you just had a bad experience in St. Louis?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Quote:

Sorry to get off topic here, but weren't you the poster who downgraded Ohio in the one thread? I can't remember the name of it, just curious though.

Anyway, I have seen your posts, and to you Indianapolis and Indiana are the end-all, be-all of your world, so I guess it is expected from your posts to get into internet debates if people see the two differently than you do. I like Indianapolis a lot, it is home, but you sugarcoat it like there is no tommorow.

Think of it this way - can you even find a sports venue that seats as many as IMS?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but both are underrated.

St. Louis blows Indy out of the water in almost any category, though. Guess you just had a bad experience in St. Louis?
Do your research. Dinsdale loathes St. Louis, but I gather from another one of his posts that he hasn't lived here in roughly 20 years, so I wonder how long it's been since he's visited either city.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
Quote:

Not sure what your pot-shots are trying to get at. You asked for links, and I provided them. This in response to commentary you made about the Indy 500. If that constitutes me instigating a "flamewar," then so be it.

You asked for links, I provided them. Now you are taking shots at me. Whatever man.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
35 miles is hardly what I consider far. I was never bored there and was pretty active in a lot of local activities. (sitting at a side walkcafe was not one of them, though - Dining and nightlife was pretty dismal, but St. Louis was only 35 miles away!) but if you insist....

I thought downtown StL was a hole compared to other cities I've lived in. Just my opinion.

Mississippi and Missouri rivers are horrible for boating, too.

too bad most local denizens of the St. Louis Metro Area won't venture more than 5 outside of their comfort zone.

I used to race in Indy. Eagle Creek Reservoir. Last time I was there for an extended visit was about 8 years ago. Stopped by for a short time last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or