U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,165,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'd like to attend the Indy 500, just to say I've done it, but I also don't associate car racing with high class or any kind of amenity. However, I know a lot of people do (white trash or not), so it's a pretty neat thing to have in your city.

I'd personally prefer St. Louis. I've lived there before though. It's a big city trapped in time and the rest of the world has moved on and it's stuck in 1980's mode or something (kind of like Cleveland). It was built to be a major city but the world economy had other plans for it. VERY cool city....VERY hot too!!!
There's nothing wrong with preferring St. Louis, Columbus, Cincy or any other city. It's when people make broad stroke statements and a lot of times, it's about a place they've never been, don't know the history, the culture, the amenities offered so on and so forth. Sadly Indianapolis is one of those cities since it's in Indiana and the common theme is what's in Indiana. There are a lot of transplants here and from what I can tell, they love it and from the ones I've talked to never realized what was here and what the city offers which surprisingly is a lot and they still have 3 billion in development going on or just completed just downtown as I sit here typing and about to add another 500 million or so with what they will be doing with the old Busch stadium heading into downtown that's about to kick off and that's in a recession. Of course Indy gets whatever it wants from the state while everyone else fights for scraps but I digress . St. Louis has to battle it out with KC for the states attention and the Ohio Cities have to battle it out for their slice of the pie as well but here, it's all Indy all the time and I think that plays a huge part in the differences between areas. Indy, Chicago, Louisville, pretty much will get what they want in terms of help from the state, states with multiple big areas like Missouri and Ohio, not so much, only so much to go around and you have to fight for every inch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:26 AM

976 posts, read 1,807,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Sounds like someone is a little jealous. Let me ask you, how many 500's have you been to? Something tells me zero so how would you know what the 500 is like or the 400, or the MotoGP or any racing. Bottom line, if St. Louis could pull events like this off every year, trust me they would especially to pull it off several times a year with little incident. Just from a financial standpoint, it pumps so much into the local economy with the sale of hotel rooms, restaurants, shopping, parking that any city would if they could do it successfully.

For instance, STL has a huge MMA following but I personally think it's a disgusting sport as it only glorifies violence and the redneck beer gut mentality but that's just me. Unlike MMA, car racing indy car and nascar is actually big business.
you're right, st. louis couldn't possibly accommodate a big event.

what is mma?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you're right, st. louis couldn't possibly accommodate a big event.

what is mma?
mixed martial arts

Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM

1,760 posts, read 2,936,680 times
Quote:
Hate to break it to you but the Brickyard is Nascar's highest attended event since it is the worlds #2 single day sporting event after the 500 and always sold out.
Is it really??? Anyway all I know is that it seems like most people here would rather have the F1 U.S. Grand Prix back than NASCAR.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:28 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,466,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Is it really??? Anyway all I know is that it seems like most people here would rather have the F1 U.S. Grand Prix back than NASCAR.
I disagree. The F1 Grand Prix was a novelty at first, but the Michelin incident really sunk it here for fans. That said, I don't believe that the Brickyard 400 is the most-attended NASCAR event. That honor is still bestowed upon the Daytona 500. However, even with the attendance drop at the Brickyard, I believe it still comes in at No. 2.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I disagree. The F1 Grand Prix was a novelty at first, but the Michelin incident really sunk it here for fans. That said, I don't believe that the Brickyard 400 is the most-attended NASCAR event. That honor is still bestowed upon the Daytona 500. However, even with the attendance drop at the Brickyard, I believe it still comes in at No. 2.
Sorry to break it to you but it's not Daytona. Daytona is their most important, but IMS for one just holds more people than Daytona and both sell out every year. Daytona pays out the most, with the brickyard 2nd in that regard and probably the second most important race in Nascar now is the Brickyard behind the Daytona which it will never catch up with in terms of importance.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,466,444 times
Quote:
Sorry to break it to you but it's not Daytona. Daytona is their most important, but IMS for one just holds more people than Daytona and both sell out every year. Daytona pays out the most, with the brickyard 2nd in that regard and probably the second most important race in Nascar now is the Brickyard behind the Daytona which it will never catch up with in terms of importance.
The Brickyard 400 hasn't sold out for a few years.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:37 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
why anyone would tout the indy 500 as an asset is beyond me. white trash city.
because the Indy500 draws a much larger crowd from around the world to the event representing teams from other countries around the world while St Louis has NASCAR as the predominant racing event. IMS is also the world's largest sporting facility that could fit more people than both Edward Jones and Busch Stadiums combined in St Louis. St Louis does not have anything that large. There's no stadium in the country that could boast that kind of capacity..none.
Indy500 is basically an Olympic racing event held every year in the city. St Louis doesn't have an Int'l sporting event that big. NASCAR, Rams and Cardinals don't count. IMS established 1909 older than Boston's Fenway Park.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,618,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
NASCAR, Rams and Cardinals don't count.
To you, perhaps.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,653,522 times
Are we really talking about which city has bigger attendance at sporting events?

Indy and the state of Indiana as a whole is the epicenter of college basketball. And now they're getting the Big Ten football championship too. That's enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or