Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times

Advertisements

Big Ten Football Championship? You mean, the brand new concept? How does Indy grab these events anyways -- because they are in the middle of the Midwest? Indy sure does take advantage of its location between ponts A and B!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Big Ten Football Championship? You mean, the brand new concept? How does Indy grab these events anyways -- because they are in the middle of the Midwest? Indy sure does take advantage of its location between ponts A and B!
LOL, I'll admit location probably does have something to do with it, but for the most part it's because Indy knows how to handle big time sporting events. The NCAA is already on record several times stating Indy is the best location for the Final Four. The B10 Men's and Women's tournament in basketball is way better than Chicago. Let's face it, the United Center is away from everything in a neighborhood where there are bound to be more shots outside the stadium than inside the stadium. Solider Field isn't actually in downtown Chicago where Lucas Oil is in Downtown Indianapolis where everything is just a short jaunt away and if it's cold, you really don't have to go outside for anything ever. Plus Lucas Oil is just better than the new spaceship known as solider field. They never should of changed it. The Big 10 is headquartered in Chicago and for Indianapolis to continue to wrestle away these events from the Windy city should tell you something.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:16 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Yes, location of a facility makes a huge difference. Despite Chicago's downtown being the second largest developed urban core in the country Indy just happens to have the amenities closer to it's door step. Now if IMS where in downtown holly crap imagine the traffic. Chicago, Minneapolis, and Indianapolis have the most vibrant active downtowns in the Midwest per capita.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:59 PM

34 posts, read 56,458 times
STL has the blues, the cardinals and Rams who all play downtown. That is a lot of home games. STL has many more vibrant areas than just downtown though. Indy does not.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins79 View Post
STL has the blues, the cardinals and Rams who all play downtown. That is a lot of home games. STL has many more vibrant areas than just downtown though. Indy does not.
Not to mention, the food is way better in the Lou.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Not to mention, the food is way better in the Lou.
Yeah, I'm sure you've been to all the neighborhoods and restaurants around Indianapolis and St. Louis and can base that statement on experience. I don't see how any cities really have better food than the others unless you're talking about NYC or Chicago vs. Indianapolis or St. Louis. Every large city in the Midwest other than Chicago has the same quality of restaurants. Just depending on the cuisine, you may have to look harder in certain places.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you've been to all the neighborhoods and restaurants around Indianapolis and St. Louis and can base that statement on experience. I don't see how any cities really have better food than the others unless you're talking about NYC or Chicago vs. Indianapolis or St. Louis. Every large city in the Midwest other than Chicago has the same quality of restaurants. Just depending on the cuisine, you may have to look harder in certain places.
I used to cook professionally, I have been to Indy many, many times.
So yes, I can say with some authority that the food scene is better in STL.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:53 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
this is completely untrue. st. louis has a far superior culinary scene than indianapolis.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
Saint Louis

Old 07-04-2011, 09:25 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins79 View Post
St. Louis also has way more crime in way more areas than Indianapolis, what's your point? Despite having the blues, cardinals and rams play downtown, Downtown Indianapolis is still better and more vibrant with only the pacers and the colts. Indianapolis has plenty of vibrant neighborhoods, they only talk about the designated cultural districts as a marketing scheme, but you have places like Irvington, Fletcher Place, Ransom, North Meridian and International village or whatever it's called where over an est. 90 different languages are spoken in the neighborhood on the north side not far from Butler-Tarkington which is a nother area.

St. Louis is way more compact than Indianapolis and easier to get around and see and experience things where Indianapolis is VERY spread out with a crappy public transportation system. You ask the average Indianapolis person and they couldn't tell you outside of the main marketing points because people here all tend to go downtown if they are not dt then it's whatever side they live on. North Siders stay north, South siders stay south, so on and so forth because their are amenities on each side of town.

As far as restaurants to kill two birds with one stone, that is a matter of opinion. My times in the Lou tasted like well Indianapolis. As a matter of fact, the best mexican food I had ever had outside of East Chicago, IN was actually in Indianapolis at la casa del sol. St. Elmo's isn't the best steak in town even though they are famous for it and we have an abundance of authentic restaurants here in Marion county in which I can honestly say 100% you have never eaten at just like their are a ton of restaurants in St. Louis that I haven't eaten at so again, you stating St. Louis has an over abundance in the culinary arts is well pure conjecture and being a chef means absolutely jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City