U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I had that gooey cake at Park Ave Coffee, I think in Lafayette Square. It was real good, I didn't know that was an STL thing.
It sure is, you cant find it available commercially anywhere but in the STL area, and a few counties out.
I have made it for parties, potlucks etc down here, people are always amazed at it, especially the chocolate version.
Heres the history of it;

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...ButterCake.htm

Heres a really good piece on STL-centic foods.

http://stlplaces.com/stl_foods/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,164,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i take issue with your assertions. people these days look at metro areas, not just central cities. that's what is used to calculate gdp, market size, importance, etc. and apparently you don't realize that st. louis county is not a "suburb" but rather, an adjacent suburban county. st. louis city is independent and unlike 99% of major cities in the usa, it is not part of any county. conversely, indianapolis annexed almost all of its suburban county to boost its numbers. what you have as a result is a primarily suburban "city" that lacks urban character. that may work on paper, but it's deceiving. for instance, indianapolis is a larger "city" than boston, washington, dc, seattle and miami. does anyone really believe that indy is bigger than these cities? no. i promise you, no. city boundaries are merely political designations that mean little in today's metropolitan society.
Actually St. Louis county and all of its municipalities is a suburb of St. Louis, if St. Louis city is the primary city of an MSA and St. Louis county resides in that msa, then St. Louis county IS a suburb of St. Louis city just like Hamilton County is a suburb of Indianapolis or Waukesha county is a suburb of Milwaukee. Whether or not you take issue with the assertions is of no concern. When a person looks at an area, what is their primary concern? It's the core city. As I said, no one moves to the St. Louis area based off of Clayton. No one moves to Indianapolis based off of Fishers. Those areas come into account after you have chosen your core city for things such as schools, commute time to the core city of all places, qol, etc. BUT the core city is always the first and most important factor. No one comes on here and posts; Hey I'm moving to Bartow County (GA), what is there to do. No, they state, I'm moving to Atlanta or I'm moving to Chicago, Minneapolis (actually they say twin cities), Cincinnati etc. They don't say I'm moving to said suburb because it's not a factor until the core city is chosen. In your very argument you are literally downplaying St. Louis.

As far as Indy feeling like a suburban county, you should really come for an extensive visit. Only two townships have a remotely suburban feel and that's Franklin and Decatur townships because you still have a lot of undeveloped land in the se and sw portions of the city. The other 7 do not. Do you have nice neighborhoods in the remaining townships, of course. Wayne township which is the west side, you would never confuse it with suburbia until you actually reach hendricks county. Lawrence and Warren townships to the east, same way until you reach hancock county. Pike to the nw has eagle creek park so their is part designated as rural since eagle creek is 7000 acres. Washington, like most cities is the more affluent north side and perry south central is working class and pretty dense, the last township is center township where downtown is bordered by the old city limits. Second, Indianapolis merged for effeciency back in 1967; some 41 years and people still try to pass that argument. Louisville annexed Jefferson county solely to become larger and more dominant.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:34 PM

34 posts, read 47,180 times
St Louis has some urban inner ring suburbs such as U. City and Clayton. This has to do with the small city limits. I live in U. City about 6 miles from downtown and am not technically in the city, but my area feels much more urban than many "city" neighborhoods in Indy. Indy is fine and dandy but it has a much more small town feel than St Louis does. Some people really like that, but I just prefer more of a city feel and St Louis offers that.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:27 PM

976 posts, read 1,807,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Actually St. Louis county and all of its municipalities is a suburb of St. Louis, if St. Louis city is the primary city of an MSA and St. Louis county resides in that msa, then St. Louis county IS a suburb of St. Louis city just like Hamilton County is a suburb of Indianapolis or Waukesha county is a suburb of Milwaukee. Whether or not you take issue with the assertions is of no concern. When a person looks at an area, what is their primary concern? It's the core city. As I said, no one moves to the St. Louis area based off of Clayton. No one moves to Indianapolis based off of Fishers. Those areas come into account after you have chosen your core city for things such as schools, commute time to the core city of all places, qol, etc. BUT the core city is always the first and most important factor. No one comes on here and posts; Hey I'm moving to Bartow County (GA), what is there to do. No, they state, I'm moving to Atlanta or I'm moving to Chicago, Minneapolis (actually they say twin cities), Cincinnati etc. They don't say I'm moving to said suburb because it's not a factor until the core city is chosen. In your very argument you are literally downplaying St. Louis.

As far as Indy feeling like a suburban county, you should really come for an extensive visit. Only two townships have a remotely suburban feel and that's Franklin and Decatur townships because you still have a lot of undeveloped land in the se and sw portions of the city. The other 7 do not. Do you have nice neighborhoods in the remaining townships, of course. Wayne township which is the west side, you would never confuse it with suburbia until you actually reach hendricks county. Lawrence and Warren townships to the east, same way until you reach hancock county. Pike to the nw has eagle creek park so their is part designated as rural since eagle creek is 7000 acres. Washington, like most cities is the more affluent north side and perry south central is working class and pretty dense, the last township is center township where downtown is bordered by the old city limits. Second, Indianapolis merged for effeciency back in 1967; some 41 years and people still try to pass that argument. Louisville annexed Jefferson county solely to become larger and more dominant.
a suburb is a municipality that exists in the proximate orbit of a major central city. a county is not a suburb, it is a county. a suburb may exist in a county, but a county cannot be a suburb. a suburban county, perhaps, but not a suburb.

most of st. louis' inner ring suburbs are more urban in nature than any neighborhood in indianapolis proper. that has more to do with age than anything.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,164,683 times
Quote:
a suburb is a municipality that exists in the proximate orbit of a major central city. a county is not a suburb, it is a county. a suburb may exist in a county, but a county cannot be a suburb. a suburban county, perhaps, but not a suburb.

most of st. louis' inner ring suburbs are more urban in nature than any neighborhood in indianapolis proper. that has more to do with age than anything.
Indianapolis has 3 "inner ring" suburbs as you declare them, Beech Grove, Speedway and Southport and all three are pretty urban. Lawrence is out in the NE quad. You should have noticed where I said counties and municipalities within that county. Also keep in mind unincorporated areas; those areas that do not belong to a city. Marion County doesn't have any but the outlying counties do and I'm sure the St. Louis area does as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
A brief rundown

Music:

I'm tired of hearing just mainstream Indie Rock, R&B, Hip Hop, Classic Rock, country bla bla stations playing the same crap over and over again. When it comes to more music alternatives "on the radio" there are only 3 cities in the Midwest that plays Electronica (techno/house/trance etc.) mixes.

Chicago
1. Dance Factory 99.9 FM (nightly)
2. B-96 (nightly)

Detroit
1. WJLB 97.9 plays old school electro> detroit style techno (during afternoon and at 5pm) DJ Finger's great on the tables

INDY
1. 90.9 GIANT FM mixes all electronica styles like trance, tech house (7pm - 4am week nights) hell yeah, this is what I'm talking about as I turn up the volume...St Louis has this kind of music on the radio..right.

St Louis
1. It has none

Airport Terminal:

Indy's more futuristic 1 billion dollar terminal hands down

Interstates:

Newer with more lanes...less traffic during rush hour

Downtown:

While St Louis has the Arch it doesn't have a cirlce as big or compact as Monument Circle filled with people closer to everything. Our version of London's Picadilly Circus and NY's Times Square. St Louis?? Where do you congregate? Indy has a more central focal point than St Louis due to it's layout which is easier for people to get to. St Louis doesn't have a Circle Centre that connects that closely to it's main monument the Gateway Arch.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,612,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
A brief rundown

Music:

I'm tired of hearing just mainstream Indie Rock, R&B, Hip Hop, Classic Rock, country bla bla stations playing the same crap over and over again. When it comes to more music alternatives "on the radio" there are only 3 cities in the Midwest that plays Electronica (techno/house/trance etc.) mixes.

Chicago
1. Dance Factory 99.9 FM (nightly)
2. B-96 (nightly)

Detroit
1. WJLB 97.9 plays old school electro> detroit style techno (during afternoon and at 5pm) DJ Finger's great on the tables

INDY
1. 90.9 GIANT FM mixes all electronica styles like trance, tech house (7pm - 4am week nights) hell yeah, this is what I'm talking about as I turn up the volume...St Louis has this kind of music on the radio..right.

St Louis
1. It has none

Airport Terminal:

Indy's more futuristic 1 billion dollar terminal hands down

Interstates:

Newer with more lanes...less traffic during rush hour

Downtown:

While St Louis has the Arch it doesn't have a cirlce as big or compact as Monument Circle filled with people closer to everything. Our version of London's Picadilly Circus and NY's Times Square. St Louis?? Where do you congregate? Indy has a more central focal point than St Louis due to it's layout which is easier for people to get to. St Louis doesn't have a Circle Centre that connects that closely to it's main monument the Gateway Arch.
You're saying that Indy is better than STL because of a radio station, an airport terminal, and a traffic circle?
Right.
I'm not even gonna comment on the interstate thing.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indianapolis has 3 "inner ring" suburbs as you declare them, Beech Grove, Speedway and Southport and all three are pretty urban. Lawrence is out in the NE quad. You should have noticed where I said counties and municipalities within that county. Also keep in mind unincorporated areas; those areas that do not belong to a city. Marion County doesn't have any but the outlying counties do and I'm sure the St. Louis area does as well.
With all due respect, there is nothing urban about Southport; and there is barely anything urban about Beech Grove. Speedway is trying; but none of these places compare with places like University City.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:47 PM

976 posts, read 1,807,471 times
urbanologist, tell me i misunderstood your post. you aren't trying to compare monument circle with piccadilly circus and times square, are you? i didn't think so. that part came after talk about radio stations and your new airport terminal (which still serves fewer passengers than lambert in stl).

if it wasn't such a stupid post, i'd actually consider laughing at it.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Quote:
urbanologist, tell me i misunderstood your post. you aren't trying to compare monument circle with piccadilly circus and times square, are you? i didn't think so. that part came after talk about radio stations and your new airport terminal (which still serves fewer passengers than lambert in stl).
Monument Circle is an urban focal point for downtown Indianapolis; it is a place where people congregate, and people from out of town visit and photograph. It is a beautiful area. I prefer it to any "focal point" in downtown St. Louis. This, is called an opinion. There is no point in arguing that. The Arch does nothing for me, it looks like a giant frown. Some people love the Arch, and good for them. I don't care. I have no problem giving St. Louis its props, but an oasis it is not.

The Indianapolis airport terminal is superior to Lambert. I am sorry, it is. Whether or not Lambert serves more people or not is beside the point.

I am not a fan of the local radio market in Indianapolis, and I rarely listen to terrestrial radio when I travel so I will leave that one alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or