U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,711,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Monument Circle is an urban focal point for downtown Indianapolis; it is a place where people congregate, and people from out of town visit and photograph. It is a beautiful area, and is superior to any "focal point" in downtown St. Louis. This, is called an opinion. There is no point in arguing that. The Arch does nothing for me, it looks like a giant frown. Some people love the Arch, and good for them. I don't care. I have no problem giving St. Louis its props, but an oasis it is not.

The Indianapolis airport terminal is superior to Lambert. I am sorry, it is. Whether or not Lambert serves more people or not is beside the point.

I am not a fan of the local radio market in Indianapolis, and I rarely listen to terrestrial radio when I travel so I will leave that one alone.
With all due respect, what do you think Kiener Plaza is?
http://session2005.adventist.org/med...plaza_arch.jpg

Old Courthouse and Kiener Plaza - St. Louis, MO | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78469770@N00/425430889/ - broken link)

http://saintlouislandmarks.com/img/v7/p762409680-3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,254,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You're saying that Indy is better than STL because of a radio station, an airport terminal, and a traffic circle?
Right.
I'm not even gonna comment on the interstate thing.
Yes, music really is a big deal for me which is why I don't live in Nashville and I prefer a city that has a central focal point like a Times Square or Picca Dilly Circus. St Louis doesn't really have anything on that scale. Just go to Europe and you can see the huge city centre squares or circles where people meet. I don't want to drive miles away from downtown...screw that and yes, I am picky about the airports I fly out of with more efficiency. Do you realize how long of a walk it is from the Arch to say Central West End? or The Hill?? too far. Downtown Indy has everything urban I need closer within striking distance. Just go to New Orleans French Quarter..St Louis doesn't have one like it to draw that many people downtown everyday.

Also Indy is like a Texas city in the Midwest when it comes to population and job growth. Even KC has higher job growth than St Louis. Ultimately the city where more people are moving to is the winner not because of some small poll. Indianapolis has a faster growth rate and will eventually pass up St Louis metro population this century. The Midwest cities to look out for in the future are Minneapolis-St Paul, Indianapolis, Columbus, Kansas City and Chicago when it comes to job growth.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,093,273 times
Quote:
With all due respect, what do you think Kiener Plaza is?
http://session2005.adventist.org/med...plaza_arch.jpg

Old Courthouse and Kiener Plaza - St. Louis, MO | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78469770@N00/425430889/ - broken link)

http://saintlouislandmarks.com/img/v7/p762409680-3.jpg
It is a pretty area, but it is not really the same thing as Monument Circle. The Monument is integrated into the street grid, is lined with restaurants and offices, and allows for all modes of transportation, and really is the city's focal point. It is depicted on our flag and the city derives its nickname from it. It is the "thing" most people recognize about Indianapolis. The plaza is nice, but it reminds me of the Indiana War Memorial and American Legion Mall in downtown Indianapolis as opposed to the circle. The Arch is the "thing" that resonates with most people who are not from St. Louis. The plaza feels more like a park to me. Even those photos of the plaza, incorporate the arch. I don't know many people who go to the plaza to take pics of the plaza alone, they want that money shot of the Arch over the plaza looking east. Much like pictures people take of the Indiana War Memorial. It is nice, it is pretty, but most people want the "money shot" with the skyline behind it.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Yes, music really is a big deal for me which is why I don't live in Nashville and I prefer a city that has a central focal point like a Times Square or Picca Dilly Circus. St Louis doesn't really have anything on that scale. Just go to Europe and you can see the huge city centre squares or circles where people meet. I don't want to drive miles away from downtown...screw that and yes, I am picky about the airports I fly out of with more efficiency. Do you realize how long of a walk it is from the Arch to say Central West End? or The Hill?? too far. Downtown Indy has everything urban I need closer within striking distance.

Also Indy is like a Texas city in the Midwest when it comes to population and job growth. Even KC has higher job growth than St Louis. Ultimately the city where more people are moving to is the winner not because of some small poll. Indianapolis has a faster growth rate and will eventually pass up St Louis metro population this century. The Midwest cities to look out for in the future are Minneapolis-St Paul, Indianapolis, Columbus, Kansas City and Chicago when it comes to job growth.
Since we are going off-topic, do you realize how long a walk it is from Times Square to Central Park?
Silly to try and compare, isnt it?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Since we are going off-topic, do you realize how long a walk it is from Times Square to Central Park?
I didn't make the comparison, so I am not sure what your point is.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
It is a pretty area, but it is not really the same thing as Monument Circle. The Monument is integrated into the street grid, is lined with restaurants and offices, and allows for all modes of transportation, and really is the city's focal point. It is depicted on our flag and the city derives its nickname from it. It is the "thing" most people recognize about Indianapolis. The plaza is nice, but it reminds me of the Indiana War Memorial and American Legion Mall in downtown Indianapolis as opposed to the circle. The Arch is the "thing" that resonates with most people who are not from St. Louis. The plaza feels more like a park to me. Even those photos of the plaza, incorporate the arch. I don't know many people who go to the plaza to take pics of the plaza alone, they want that money shot of the Arch over the plaza looking east. Much like pictures people take of the Indiana War Memorial. It is nice, it is pretty, but most people want the "money shot" with the skyline behind it.
There are at least a dozen restaurants on the perimeter of the Plaza, and I may be wrong, but those tall, shiny building flanking the Plaza may have an office or 2 in them.
You say people want pix of Kiener Plaza and the Arch like its a bad thing, when in reality the Plaza was designed to take in the long vista from both ends, why is that a bad thing, its actually really good design, and thats something I know just a little bit about.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,254,424 times
Quote:
St Louis is no Manhattan for what's in between..nice try

Old 07-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
There are at least a dozen restaurants on the perimeter of the Plaza, and I may be wrong, but those tall, shiny building flanking the Plaza may have an office or 2 in them.
You say people want pix of Kiener Plaza and the Arch like its a bad thing, when in reality the Plaza was designed to take in the long vista from both ends, why is that a bad thing, its actually really good design, and thats something I know just a little bit about.
There are places to eat along the War Memorial in Indianapolis as well. Still not sure what your point is......

I am not saying that taking pictures of the arch over the plaza is a bad thing either, it is fine. I have taken the picture myself. I have taken the same picture of the War Memorial in Indianapolis with the skyline behind it. Not saying it is a bad thing, Keiner Plaza just feels similar to the American Legion Mall in Indianapolis. Not saying that is bad, it is what it is.

I don't know, I guess we are not talking about the same thing.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
St Louis is no Manhattan for what's in between..nice try
Ah, but its still a really long walk, which was your point in the first place, and why would anyone walk, when there is mass transit in either city?
Sorry you missed the point.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
There are places to eat along the War Memorial in Indianapolis as well. Still not sure what your point is......

I am not saying that taking pictures of the arch over the plaza is a bad thing either, it is fine. I have taken the picture myself. I have taken the same picture of the War Memorial in Indianapolis with the skyline behind it. Not saying it is a bad thing, Keiner Plaza just feels similar to the American Legion Mall in Indianapolis. Not saying that is bad, it is what it is.

I don't know, I guess we are not talking about the same thing.
I suppose we arent, because I sure dont have a clue of what you are trying to convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or